Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I feel like if you're Minny, you can't afford to lose Cruz to your biggest division rival. If that means going 2 years, you have to do it. In the end, I think Cruz will get his 2 years with the Twins, because I doubt the Sox will give him 2 years. 

This is what I think as well.  Cruz will re-sign with the Twins on like a 2/16 type deal, and half of SoxTalk will lose their minds that the Sox didn't beat the offer (despite the fact that the Sox will have accomplished pretty much exactly what they wanted -- forcing the Twins to give him a 2nd year).

42 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

This is what I think as well.  Cruz will re-sign with the Twins on like a 2/16 type deal, and half of SoxTalk will lose their minds that the Sox didn't beat the offer (despite the fact that the Sox will have accomplished pretty much exactly what they wanted -- forcing the Twins to give him a 2nd year).

Is it really a positive for us to "force" our division rival in to resigning someone who's probably going to kick our asses?

Edited by RagahRagah

Just now, RagahRagah said:

Is it really a positive for us to "force" our division rival in to resigning someone who's probably going to kick our assws?

He was probably going to sign there anyways, but if they can force the price up, and force them to add a year, yes it is a win.

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I agree with Giolito, but disagree they should extend Lynn. The four players (Lynn, Grandal, Keuchel and Hendricks) on the wrong side of 30 at $65M-$70M. I wouldn't have signed Grandal last year, not because he is bad but because offense from your catcher is a luxury for a mid level payroll, same as a top closer which you state above.

Coming into the off season, assuming this is their payroll, I would have targeted Bradley Jr, Rosario and a defense first BU catcher. For pitching, would have signed a decent SP to eat up innings (and kept Dunning), and promoted from within for the closer role, adding 1-2 FA relievers. Crochet should be stretched to be a full time starter over the next two season. You can add a July pickup if the younger guys aren't stepping up after another year of development and time with Katz. Between Cease, Kopech, Lopez and at the time Dunning, you should have a decent #3 and #4 by the time the playoffs started, could also pick up someone in July if they are not (or significant injuries occur).

Wow  a baseball on the field type post.  Not bad when you're not on your soapbox. So you're talking about signing 5-6 FA's , Bradley, Jr. , Rosario, Catcher , SP and 1-2 relievers. We'll have to see how much money all those guys come too. Assuming could have had Q for $9M  and looking at how much the Sox have spent so far I think you end up over JR's meager budget since it's fairly apparent payroll is going to approximate last years'. Probably would have to add only 1 reliever but the better ones have been going for a lot but lets say an Archie Bradley type $6 and someone else in the $3M  area. Anyway you get the picture.

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He was probably going to sign there anyways, but if they can force the price up, and force them to add a year, yes it is a win.

So sad thinking that way. We don't want the Mike Trout/Jose Ramirez bat for a bargain but let our main opponent in the division get him for a little bit worse bargain and we win !!

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So sad thinking that way. We don't want the Mike Trout/Jose Ramirez bat for a bargain but let our main opponent in the division get him for a little bit worse bargain and we win !!

Yep but hey, we won the first two months of the offseason!   We should be thankful to Jerry for that.

The chance a 40 year old has a down year when he turns 41 is historically very high. it's probably high for every year played by a 38+ year old. If there's no NL DH then he's cheaper, but then you cant use him in half the World Series. Lets be happy to raise this price on the Twins so they cheap out on pitching (and we can thank Hector for facilitating)

Edited by Drake Is Our Leader

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Again, my premise is that is where he wants to be anyway.,

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Agreed and there’s going to be a huge meltdown on here when he goes back to the Twins but the truth is, I don’t think the Sox truly want him.

I'd be happy with him, but if we're still in on whatever he may cost, just go sign Paxton.

Edited by RagahRagah

6 minutes ago, Drake Is Our Leader said:

The chance a 40 year old has a down year when he turns 41 is historically very high. it's probably high for every year played by a 38+ year old. If there's no NL DH then he's cheaper, but then you cant use him in half the World Series. Lets be happy to raise this price on the Twins so they cheap out on pitching (and we can thank Hector for facilitating)

Hank Aaron

age 39 1.049 ops

age 40 .832

age 41 .687

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Hank Aaron

age 39 1.049 ops

age 40 .832

age 41 .687

We have an in-house replacement with Vaughn though.  If we sign Cruz to a 1-year deal and he falls off a cliff, there isn't a ton of downside. We'd just be back to where we are now: hoping Vaughn rakes as a rookie.

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min