Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

4 minutes ago, quickman said:

Twins very quietly get better defensively, keep Cruz and solidify the bullpen. I think they are outspending the whitesox right now and will be the team to beat in the division. 

When did they solidify their bullpen?  Didn't they lose May and Romo

3 minutes ago, quickman said:

Twins very quietly get better defensively, keep Cruz and solidify the bullpen. I think they are outspending the whitesox right now and will be the team to beat in the division. 

I agree. They're still better than us right now. The division is gonna be a fight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, quickman said:

Let's do a quick comparison though, while I think Minnesota is the team to beat since they have won the division the last few years, I think the Sox still stack up better:

C - Grandal > Jeffers

1B - Abreu > Sano

2B - Madrigal = Polanco/Arreaz

SS - Anderson > Simmons

3B - Moncada > Donaldson (not 28 yr old Donaldson, but this year Donaldson, YES)

LF - Eloy > Kepler

CF - Buxton > Robert (maybe Robert here)

RF - Kiriloff > Eaton

DH - Cruz > anyone we put in there

SP1 - Giolito > Maeda

SP2 - Berrios > Keuchel

SP3 - Lynn > Pineda

SP4 - Cease > Happ

SP5 - Rodon/Lopez/Kopech = Dobnak/etc

Cl - Hendricks > Rogers

MR - Sox > Twins

The Sox still have the better team, but they have to knock them off to be considered the best, IMO. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Your right they did lose a couple important pieces from their bullpen and haven’t signed anyone new yet to replace them. They have lost May and Wisler so far though and possibly Romo soon since he hasn’t signed with anyone yet.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The Twins haven't done anything to improve yet.  The White Sox are without a doubt ahead of them. 

Simmons is a pretty major improvement.  They just went from one of the worst MI defense in the league - if not THE worst - to above average with Simmons.  Its not flashy or exciting, but it was a very good move for the Twins.

Cruz was obviously important for them to bring back.    

Still think the Twins need another good SP that they're not going to get, and their pen needs work.  

I agree the Sox look comfortably ahead of the Twins atm.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

So an agent that is willing to use whatever means possible to create a market for his players is weird and sad.  In the 21st century where influencers have become such a part of society, I am only shocked that it isn't something used more and in more creative ways.

Oh, I'm not blaming the agent.  I'm blaming the market.

12 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I don’t believe the Sox were ever interested at all and only speculation was due to Gomez and Chuck Garfien dreaming. 

Isn’t that the only thing ‘reporters’ know how to do these days? 
- An undisclosed source

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Simmons is a pretty major improvement.  They just went from one of the worst MI defense in the league - if not THE worst - to above average with Simmons.  Its not flashy or exciting, but it was a very good move for the Twins.

Cruz was obviously important for them to bring back.    

Still think the Twins need another good SP that they're not going to get, and their pen needs work.  

I agree the Sox look comfortably ahead of the Twins atm.  

Yes, Simmons is a good addition.  However they lost 3 productive RPs (no other replacements yet), Lost Odorizzi (yes he didn't play much but still a loss), Lost Rosario (big offensive loss), and Marwin Gonzalez (meh).  They've still got some work to do.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yes, Simmons is a good addition.  However they lost 3 productive RPs (no other replacements yet), Lost Odorizzi (yes he didn't play much but still a loss), Lost Rosario (big offensive loss), and Marwin Gonzalez (meh).  They've still got some work to do.

The Indians still have their pitching intact.   We couldn't beat them last year at all.  I would say their offense didn't fall off as much as people might think here.  

We had a chance this offseason to bury the AL Central for the next few years. Due to the owner and his fiscal policies we breathe life into their chances.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

lol, wat?  For a dude that is a DH in waiting?

I know. I don’t even see a spot where they can put him in the lineup anyways since they re-signed Cruz unless they play him at one of the OF spots but they already have Cave, Buxton and Kepler. They would have to trade one of them or keep one of them as a backup.

22 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This is the only thing I would be worried about if the Twins sign Ozuna but I don’t see this happening and it’s our buddy Hector reporting this so who knows.

No chance twins sign Ozuna.  He's not a fit at all with Cruz there.  

20 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

The Indians still have their pitching intact.   We couldn't beat them last year at all.  I would say their offense didn't fall off as much as people might think here.  

We had a chance this offseason to bury the AL Central for the next few years. Due to the owner and his fiscal policies we breathe life into their chances.  

They lost 3 solid RPs. That's a lot.

3 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

I know. I don’t even see a spot where they can put him in the lineup anyways since they re-signed Cruz unless they play him at one of the OF spots but they already have Cave, Buxton and Kepler. They would have to trade one of them or keep one of them as a backup.

And Alex Kiriloff who will be starting in LF or RF over Cave. Ozuna only fit if Cruz moved on. But with Cruz there and Sano at 1B, Donaldson at 3B, they have 3 guys that potentially can't play the field because of different issues, adding Ozuna would be great IMO. It wouldn't help them as much as it would hinder them from adding pitching... go ahead MN, add another bat that can't play the field. 

22 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Let's do a quick comparison though, while I think Minnesota is the team to beat since they have won the division the last few years, I think the Sox still stack up better:

C - Grandal > Jeffers

1B - Abreu > Sano

2B - Madrigal = Polanco/Arreaz

SS - Anderson > Simmons

3B - Moncada > Donaldson (not 28 yr old Donaldson, but this year Donaldson, YES)

LF - Eloy > Kepler

CF - Buxton > Robert (maybe Robert here)

RF - Kiriloff > Eaton

DH - Cruz > anyone we put in there

SP1 - Giolito > Maeda

SP2 - Berrios > Keuchel

SP3 - Lynn > Pineda

SP4 - Cease > Happ

SP5 - Rodon/Lopez/Kopech = Dobnak/etc

Cl - Hendricks > Rogers

MR - Sox > Twins

The Sox still have the better team, but they have to knock them off to be considered the best, IMO. 

Well done overview.

On 2/3/2021 at 9:57 AM, southsideirish71 said:

But but we forced MN. to up their offer to Cruz . Sox win ! ( this is sarcasm)

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 10:53 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sorry for the late reply I suppose I was alluding to colome and they also picked up Ian Hamilton. I realize the later needs to prove things but he does have chance to be effective. My main point is they did things pretty quietly and they are still the team to beat. 

• Like 1