Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Yeah that's what I'm saying, what's realistically his market now with now avenue to playing time in the NL, like 4 AL teams? 

I don't think it makes sense for teams that aren't going to compete to sign a DH so you can count out the Rangers, Mariners, Royals, Tigers, and Orioles. Of the competing teams the A's, Rays, and Indians are too cheap. The Yankees, Angels, and Astros already have a crowded DH spot. So yeah, really just the White Sox, Twins, Red Sox and Blue Jays are the options at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I don't think it makes sense for teams that aren't going to compete to sign a DH so you can count out the Rangers, Mariners, Royals, Tigers, and Orioles. Of the competing teams the A's, Rays, and Indians are too cheap. The Yankees, Angels, and Astros already have a crowded DH spot. So yeah, really just the White Sox, Twins, Red Sox and Blue Jays are the options at this point.

Red Sox have JDM

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Red Sox have JDM and Blue Jays have other areas to spend with their resources. It’s really just a two team race at this point.

You guys are absolutely right, Martinez slipped my mind because he was terrible last year. Ozuna does seem like a more likely option for the Blue Jays since they are spending this year. CJ Cron seems more like a fit for the Rays if they're going to go out and grab a DH. He'd be a cheaper option and a platoon fit with Tsustugo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomPickle said:

You guys are absolutely right, Martinez slipped my mind because he was terrible last year. Ozuna does seem like a more likely option for the Blue Jays since they are spending this year. CJ Cron seems more like a fit for the Rays if they're going to go out and grab a DH. He'd be a cheaper option and a platoon fit with Tsustugo.

I can’t imagine Rays spending so much on Cruz. Nice job though with your initial post.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think mainly because the owners get a lot of money from expanded playoffs especially if fans are back in the parks in October. Easy rejection.

Yes. It is all bargaining chips.

Expanded Playoffs are a MUCH larger puzzle piece compared to Universal DH.

Players WANT Universal DH but not at the cost of maybe their biggest chip. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Yes. It is all bargaining chips.

Expanded Playoffs are a MUCH larger puzzle piece compared to Universal DH.

Players WANT Universal DH but not at the cost of maybe their biggest chip. 

And it seems like it’s still possible for this season

1 minute ago, Blackout Friday said:

Blue Jays don’t need a dh. Unless they can convert excess OF into an arm, they’ll be rotating their outfielders. I was hoping to have a similar scenario for the Sox, but isn’t looking likely. 

100% True. They have a ton of bad fielders but good hitters. Alejandro Kirk, Teoscar come to mind instantly who need to use DH. Also Rowdy Tellez is around. They should 100% be out on Cruz.

It's Twins most likely with a possible chance for the CWS. Although he could still wait another month or so until the owners/players get their shit together and get U-DH in. 

Expanded playoffs would be tough to do without making getting to the playoffs seem kind of worthless. Honestly, it seemed like nobody wanted to be the 8th seed in the NL last year. If they do 8 teams, it cheapens the accomplishment of making the playoffs and it makes seeding almost seem pointless. If they do 6 or 7 teams, one or 2 teams will end up getting a bye for the first series. The problem is that long layoffs don't work well in playoff baseball so the team on the bye could actually be at a disadvantage. 

• Like 1

Beyond the implications of Cruz, this is completely disgusting for what it means for the MLB. We don't even know the rules of the game and it's going to be February. I'd be furious if this was occurring at my job... I really don't understand how we can be this incompetent. 

It looks like it's going to be another long 2-3 months between the MLBPA and the owners. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Expanded playoffs would be tough to do without making getting to the playoffs seem kind of worthless. Honestly, it seemed like nobody wanted to be the 8th seed in the NL last year. If they do 8 teams, it cheapens the accomplishment of making the playoffs and it makes seeding almost seem pointless. If they do 6 or 7 teams, one or 2 teams will end up getting a bye for the first series. The problem is that long layoffs don't work well in playoff baseball so the team on the bye could actually be at a disadvantage. 

One other thing to note on this topic that is maybe the most important for the MLBPA is that expanded playoffs means MLB Owners have to try a little less to end up making the playoffs. This means less bigger contracts for players in the long run. That seems to be the reason why the players don't want expanded playoffs. The detrimental effect it would have on teams giving out contracts. 

• Thanks 1

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min