Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

1 minute ago, Rey21 said:

That’s my point though do they have time with Abreu’s age, Lynn on a 1 year deal, Grandal and Kuechel only getting older, Moncada’s uncertainty to wait and find out if they don’t have the guys like that? 
Just wish that if they weren’t gonna offer up their big 3 prospects then they would have at least spent money on a Bauer/Ozuna/Springer to assure that you have a dude to help put you over the top. 

Considering that Robert, Moncada, and Eloy should all get better and Tim should stay at or near his levels for a while - I'm not that worried about the drop off of the above guys.  I have hope that a combination of Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech, Croquet, and Cease can also elevate their games to levels that will make us not that worried about Abreu, Lynn, Grandal, and Keuchel's eventual drop-off or shifts out of the organization.  

Beyond that - there are probably people I am not thinking about as well, who might surprise in their development and while I'm sure there will be other less positive surprises - the org should still be capable - if they win as much as I think they will - to continue to invest in some moderate level of free agent moves and/or use assets not named to the left (or ones to the left) to enhance the team.

So long story short - while I could gripe - I fall into the camp that on paper this team is so good I'm not super worried and am just excited to watch what should be another fun season of White Sox baseball and hopefully a rare opportunity for the club to have back to back playoff appearances (and hopefully even more).  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Considering that Robert, Moncada, and Eloy should all get better and Tim should stay at or near his levels for a while - I'm not that worried about the drop off of the above guys.  I have hope that a combination of Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech, Croquet, and Cease can also elevate their games to levels that will make us not that worried about Abreu, Lynn, Grandal, and Keuchel's eventual drop-off or shifts out of the organization.  

Beyond that - there are probably people I am not thinking about as well, who might surprise in their development and while I'm sure there will be other less positive surprises - the org should still be capable - if they win as much as I think they will - to continue to invest in some moderate level of free agent moves and/or use assets not named to the left (or ones to the left) to enhance the team.

So long story short - while I could gripe - I fall into the camp that on paper this team is so good I'm not super worried and am just excited to watch what should be another fun season of White Sox baseball and hopefully a rare opportunity for the club to have back to back playoff appearances (and hopefully even more).  

Hope you’re right but just don’t see how spending only money to get a player like Springer/Ozuna/Bauer with this core wouldn’t allow them to still develop and step on the gas pedal. Wish there was a little more aggressiveness from ownership and Hahn to really get the best of every season

23 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Stone has spoken. It's over.

I understand the financial impact of the pandemic, along with the idea of extending Gio & maybe a couple others this season, but am I correct in my math? Haven't we shed more (annual) payroll than we've added, at least for 2021? If that's accurate, it'd be sorely disappointing if we go into a season with WS aspirations and don't add the final pieces to the puzzle. And aside from a potential Bauer signing (or some other unlikely top FA), the final pieces (back-end starter, backup catcher & DH help) sure seem attainable; can be had without extending last year's budget. There's GOT to be more...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChetLemon77 said:

I understand the financial impact of the pandemic, along with the idea of extending Gio & maybe a couple others this season, but am I correct in my math? Haven't we shed more (annual) payroll than we've added, at least for 2021? If that's accurate, it'd be sorely disappointing if we go into a season with WS aspirations and don't add the final pieces to the puzzle. And aside from a potential Bauer signing (or some other unlikely top FA), the final pieces (back-end starter, backup catcher & DH help) sure seem attainable; can be had without extending last year's budget. There's GOT to be more...

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/white-sox 

According to FG 2021's payroll is 12 million lower.The only money coming off the books next year is Lynn ($9.3 M) and Luery ($3M) and a club option for Eaton ($6M w/ option for $8.5M). Gio will either get extended or get a pretty significant raise in his Arb-2 year. Lynn will either be extended and his innings won't be cheap to replace unless one of the in house solutions breaks out.

If I understand it correctly, the Sox have $126.5M committed next year before any extensions are arbitration payments. The reason that number is so high is because Eloy, Robert, Yoan's salaries will about double. For comparison's sake, the Cubs have $40M committed and the Twins have $47M committed.

The sox are in great shape financially, but if the payroll isn't going up, there isn't much flexibility to add money in the future as there is very little "bad" money coming off the books next year. The sox have $87M committed to the 2023 payroll as well. 

I doubt the Sox are going to commit much more than $10-$15M more to this years team.I can understand the Sox trying to take advantage of the pandemic free agent market and spending that money on guys like Cruz or adding another SP in a trade from a team cutting costs. 

I can also understand the wisdom of leaving some breathing room in your budget to better access what your needs really are. If you have a pleasant surprise breakout player (Lopez, Cease, Collins, etc.) you may be able to take a bigger swing at an elite player instead of parsing the money out for a 5th starter and a DH

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If Anaheim eats enough $, I can see this happening. It would be Tony's final bow on his 2021 off-season. 

How can anyone argue against signing yet another legit Hall of Famer?

I am done with reclamation projects.  Spend the money on pitching.

8 hours ago, fathom said:

Just feels they’ve put way way too much faith in Katz and all their main offensive guys staying healthy.  They’ve done nothing to insulate themselves for 162 game season.

Starting to look like lots of insulation will be available as rosters are filling up nearing ST.

3 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

I'm thinkin' that if NL goes DH, Padres won't waste any time bringing him onboard for 2 years.  I'm sure Cruz would be very happy there.

Nah, they’ll just go with rotating DH with Profar getting 50% of the at-bats along with Nola/Caratini and rotating the other regulars through except for Tatis and Grisham.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Spend the money on pitching.  Yermin Mercedes is a very satisfactory player to plug into the DH slot until Vaughn is ready.  I would be very interested to find out if we have something in Yermin.

Not going to experiment in a must-compete year.   Just don’t see them trusting him or Collins.

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min