Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

One thing that worries me is his putrid year after he was caught cheating (small sample size)

I just really like Marwin because he can play everywhere.  We have guys in LF, 3B and RF that struggle to stay healthy.  Marwin is a pretty good defensive 3B.  I think he's a great fit, and a guy that can fill in for 2-3 week stints without losing a ton when IL stints happen.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

How much better than Leury Garcia is Martin Gonzalez?

Not significantly.  But Leury is going to be on the roster anyway.  And Marwin has more positional flexibility than Leury.  I think the better question would be - how much better is Marwin than Danny Mendick.  And I think the answer is ALOT.  

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

Fuck it. Sign Cruz to 1 year deal with an option, push to deal Madrigal (along with others) as the center piece in a deal for Zac Gallen (controllable for 5 years) but if that doesn't work, offer Vaughn instead.

1 hour ago, Rey21 said:

If Vaughn is gonna be on the table in any trade sign Ozuna 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm completely ok trading Vaughn and signing someone like Ozuna. 

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm 100% down with the sign Ozuna 4 yrs, trade Vaughn for German Marquez/Gallen/Woodruff/Burnes/any elite SP strategy....

Holy crap. So I'm not crazy?

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Holy crap. So I'm not crazy?

Well none of this will happen I don’t understand why everyone plays GM instead of staying in reality. No baur , no Cruz, maybe a number 5 pitcher or a project pitcher. That’s it. Enjoy the kids. My opinion of course .

11 minutes ago, quickman said:

Well none of this will happen I don’t understand why everyone plays GM instead of staying in reality. No baur , no Cruz, maybe a number 5 pitcher or a project pitcher. That’s it. Enjoy the kids. My opinion of course .

You're definitely right. But we have to have our fun, lol.

If we were really gonna throw money like that for Ozuna then Bauer should be the get.

28 minutes ago, GradMc said:

With the way agents routinely use Reinsdorf as leverage to get their clients better deals elsewhere, wherever Cruz ends up, it won't be here.

I also think Jerry is ok with it for the most part, with exceptions being players he's actually interested in acquiring. 

I am against trading Madrigal or Vaughn.  These guys are contact hitters.  We need guys like them on the team.  I got so frustrated watching our big boppers swinging at sliders outside the strike zone at the end of last year.  I admit Vaughn isn't ready, but we can"t completely mortgage the future to go all in this year.

7 minutes ago, elwood5892 said:

I believe Nightengale is on the Score right now. Said that the Sox are tapped out and won’t be getting Cruz. Said he expects him to return to Minnesota 

Ha Jerry is a joke.  Just a terrible use of resources this offseason.

Edited by fathom
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, elwood5892 said:

I believe Nightengale is on the Score right now. Said that the Sox are tapped out and won’t be getting Cruz. Said he expects him to return to Minnesota 

I hope this is the case. One thing the Sox have is an offense. Signing an old guy like Cruz is nothing but a waste of resources. Better off to do nothing right now than sign this guy. Perhaps the FO will be able to do something else later.

Just now, NWINFan said:

I hope this is the case. One thing the Sox have is an offense. Signing an old guy like Cruz is nothing but a waste of resources. Better off to do nothing right now than sign this guy. Perhaps the FO will be able to do something else later.

Twins thought they had enough offense going into 2020 and some regression and injuries happened and bang, their offense struggled and they couldn’t score in the postseason.  If they start the season with Leury in the lineup and Lopez as 5th starter, then they failed this offseason.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Ha Jerry is a joke.  Just a terrible use of resources this offseason.

He is a joke. It's obvious what he is by now. That's why it's insulting with comments like the money will be spent. If he ends up selling to someone with a lot more money and that someone isn't cheap.  That would be the greatest day of my life being a sox fan. 

• Thanks 1

This isn't rocket science.

The Sox don't have a deep farm, but they have some quality at the top and some interesting potentially fast movers in the lower portions.

They have enough for a potentially long contention window, provided they keep their pieces.

All the fuck they ever had to do was sign quality stopgap solutions.   That's it.

The total failure and ineptitude of this organization and the cheap stubbornness of ownership should not make people think about trying to reinvent the wheel.

Players like Vaughn are the ideal: young, cheap, truly excellent, under control for a very long time, fits his position, potential future All-Star and franchise piece.  If you could load up an entire organization with one type of player, it is that type of player.

The Sox are going to Bartolo Colon/D'Angelo Jimenez/Mat Latos/Jimmy Rollins this thing like they usually do.  But let's still keep the best players because when the shit hits the fan we're still going to need to call up someone who is worth a shit.

And the idea of trading a cheap asset and then signing someone more expensive -- exactly what precedent have you seen set by this organization anywhere at any level that says such a move is going to work out for the long haul?

Eventually the old rat is going to croak.  That's the one thing we can hope for.  Until then, it is especially important to keep the Vaughns and Kopechs of the system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min