Jump to content
fathom

Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Maybe you can relate to what I was saying yesterday then?

You hate when you're right.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a pretty brilliant move to get Stone to tweet these things and lower the expectations of the fans. Now when we sign somebody like Wainwright, people will be a little excited that we added some depth to the rotation. A month ago, people would have been disappointed with a depth arm like that.

I don’t believe for a second that the Sox won’t make any more moves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoxBlanco said:

This is a pretty brilliant move to get Stone to tweet these things and lower the expectations of the fans. Now when we sign somebody like Wainwright, people will be a little excited that we added some depth to the rotation. A month ago, people would have been disappointed with a depth arm like that.

I don’t believe for a second that the Sox won’t make any more moves. 

It's coming from Bob, dude. Bob is Jerry's BFF in the media. If it comes from Bob about the Sox, it's pretty accurate. 

I didn't even think they'd land Hendriks so at least they did that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's coming from Bob, dude. Bob is Jerry's BFF in the media. If it comes from Bob about the Sox, it's pretty accurate. 

I didn't even think they'd land Hendriks so at least they did that. 

It’s either accurate, or there is a motive behind it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be great.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but it won’t do him any good if he can’t command pitches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You hate when you're right.......

Indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Is it possible for Lopez to regress from Schaumburg to Naperville? 

In Lopez’s case, regression would be an improvement.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don’t believe for a second that the Sox won’t make any more moves. 

Same here. I think all this chirping by Stone and Bob means that some offers are being pushed for more $$$ from agents and we're drawing a line in the sand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yes Lopez is awful

To be fair, he was hurt in his first start and was probably never right physically. In a full season, he probably isn't rushed back in a few weeks. Again, I'm fully aware of his limitations, but I think if healthy, he'll most likely give you 5-6 IP and allow a few runs. With our offense, we'll win most of those. Even last year we won 4 of his 7 starts, not including the disaster in his first start when he went down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This is a pretty brilliant move to get Stone to tweet these things and lower the expectations of the fans. Now when we sign somebody like Wainwright, people will be a little excited that we added some depth to the rotation. A month ago, people would have been disappointed with a depth arm like that.

I don’t believe for a second that the Sox won’t make any more moves. 

Prepare for disappointment then. They are done. We'll get a few has been bust outs for ST and Charlotte, but that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Prepare for disappointment then. They are done. We'll get a few has been bust outs for ST and Charlotte, but that's it.

Truly sounds like they’re tapped out.  It’s the consistent message from some on twitter that seem in the know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I guarantee we hear sooner rather than later that Sox fans shouldn’t complain because they’re spending more money in 2021 than they did in 2020 (due to slashed salaries)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also I guarantee we hear sooner rather than later that Sox fans shouldn’t complain because they’re spending more money in 2021 than they did in 2020 (due to slashed salaries)

Of course. Same old song and dance out of JR's playbook. Finish 2nd place. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for a quote from Hahn and JR in mid-August... "we didn't exactly game plan a scenario where our starting pitchers would actually be expected to cover 700+ innings in 2021."

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Waiting for a quote from Hahn and JR in mid-August... "we didn't exactly game plan a scenario where our starting pitchers would actually be expected to cover 700+ innings in 2021."

The team also isn't built to withstand injuries on the position player side, either. What exactly is the plan if 2 of Eloy, Robert, TA, Moncada, Abreu, or Grandal are on the IL at once? They fall back to something very close to replacement level in all of those positions if there's some bad luck with injuries.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fathom said:

Also I guarantee we hear sooner rather than later that Sox fans shouldn’t complain because they’re spending more money in 2021 than they did in 2020 (due to slashed salaries)

Sullivan already pointed out we nearly doubled our payroll from the 2018 season!  Let’s ignore the fact Reinsdorf literally pocketed millions that season and that we are down YoY on what they were prepared to spend pre-COVID, but if this organization is good at one thing it’s using all resources to spin our payroll spending with the casual fans.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if the Sox fed info to Nightengale so he could tweet what he did in order to temper enthusiasm in their fans, it worked.  Well, it did more to piss off fans, but the result is the same: We're convinced they're not going to spend another dime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Waiting for a quote from Hahn and JR in mid-August... "we didn't exactly game plan a scenario where our starting pitchers would actually be expected to cover 700+ innings in 2021."

Yeah. The way this team is built now, if they get an injury or two to the starting staff (as should be expected), they probably won't even make the playoffs. And that doesn't get in to expecting Cease to magically find his command under Katz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They are literally gambling an entire season on Katz being our savior with all these young arms instead of spending a measly $6M or so to bring in another starter?  It’s beyond mind-boggling.

So...what does this say about they front office that they kept Cooper on for this long...and then said that he was doing such an awful job that a new pitching coach will turn this whole staff into a championship rotation in a few months now that he’s gone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Well, if the Sox fed info to Nightengale so he could tweet what he did in order to temper enthusiasm in their fans, it worked.  Well, it did more to piss off fans, but the result is the same: We're convinced they're not going to spend another dime.

Well, at least this year I can’t say that they’re just lying to drive ticket sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sullivan already pointed out we nearly doubled our payroll from the 2018 season!  Let’s ignore the fact Reinsdorf literally pocketed millions that season and that we are down YoY on what they were prepared to spend pre-COVID, but if this organization is good at one thing it’s using all resources to spin our payroll spending with the casual fans.

That’s also the season where a large chunk was off the books as Robert’s signing bonus and penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's coming from Bob, dude. Bob is Jerry's BFF in the media. If it comes from Bob about the Sox, it's pretty accurate. 

I didn't even think they'd land Hendriks so at least they did that. 

If this is all they do this offseason, blowing half of your available payroll on the most expensive closer on the market while ignoring other needs seems risky. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their offseason has been highly questionable and mostly garbage.

Liam Hendricks comes in and 'upgrades' Alex Colome. Look, it's an upgrade, not an addition. The money isn't that different and the results hopefully aaren't that different.

Lynn for one year over Dunning. Massive upgrade, but again, no addition here, and likely only for one year? Cost is more in millions but Lynn is one of the better salaries out there.

Adam Eaton over Mazara? Really? How long until Eaton is injured? Will he even be useful. Garbage.

tony La russa debaccle...

This offseason blows.

  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Yeah. The way this team is built now, if they get an injury or two to the starting staff (as should be expected), they probably won't even make the playoffs. And that doesn't get in to expecting Cease to magically find his command under Katz.

If Gioltio got injured in spring training, you’re looking at the following:

  1. Lynn
  2. Keuchel
  3. Cease
  4. Lopez
  5. Kopech / Stiever

Holy fuck is that a problem.  We’re literally banking on massive improvements from basically all the young guys for us to overcome one major injury to the big three.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

So...what does this say about they front office that they kept Cooper on for this long...and then said that he was doing such an awful job that a new pitching coach will turn this whole staff into a championship rotation in a few months now that he’s gone?

I blame some of that on Reinsdorf loyalty, probably wasn’t easy to cut the cord with Coop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×