Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

This is a pretty brilliant move to get Stone to tweet these things and lower the expectations of the fans. Now when we sign somebody like Wainwright, people will be a little excited that we added some depth to the rotation. A month ago, people would have been disappointed with a depth arm like that.

I don’t believe for a second that the Sox won’t make any more moves. 

• Like 1

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

This is a pretty brilliant move to get Stone to tweet these things and lower the expectations of the fans. Now when we sign somebody like Wainwright, people will be a little excited that we added some depth to the rotation. A month ago, people would have been disappointed with a depth arm like that.

It's coming from Bob, dude. Bob is Jerry's BFF in the media. If it comes from Bob about the Sox, it's pretty accurate. 

I didn't even think they'd land Hendriks so at least they did that. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's coming from Bob, dude. Bob is Jerry's BFF in the media. If it comes from Bob about the Sox, it's pretty accurate. 

It’s either accurate, or there is a motive behind it. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Same here. I think all this chirping by Stone and Bob means that some offers are being pushed for more $$$ from agents and we're drawing a line in the sand.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yes Lopez is awful

To be fair, he was hurt in his first start and was probably never right physically. In a full season, he probably isn't rushed back in a few weeks. Again, I'm fully aware of his limitations, but I think if healthy, he'll most likely give you 5-6 IP and allow a few runs. With our offense, we'll win most of those. Even last year we won 4 of his 7 starts, not including the disaster in his first start when he went down.

49 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Prepare for disappointment then. They are done. We'll get a few has been bust outs for ST and Charlotte, but that's it.

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Prepare for disappointment then. They are done. We'll get a few has been bust outs for ST and Charlotte, but that's it.

Truly sounds like they’re tapped out.  It’s the consistent message from some on twitter that seem in the know.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Waiting for a quote from Hahn and JR in mid-August... "we didn't exactly game plan a scenario where our starting pitchers would actually be expected to cover 700+ innings in 2021."

The team also isn't built to withstand injuries on the position player side, either. What exactly is the plan if 2 of Eloy, Robert, TA, Moncada, Abreu, or Grandal are on the IL at once? They fall back to something very close to replacement level in all of those positions if there's some bad luck with injuries.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fathom said:

Also I guarantee we hear sooner rather than later that Sox fans shouldn’t complain because they’re spending more money in 2021 than they did in 2020 (due to slashed salaries)

Sullivan already pointed out we nearly doubled our payroll from the 2018 season!  Let’s ignore the fact Reinsdorf literally pocketed millions that season and that we are down YoY on what they were prepared to spend pre-COVID, but if this organization is good at one thing it’s using all resources to spin our payroll spending with the casual fans.

• Thanks 1

Well, if the Sox fed info to Nightengale so he could tweet what he did in order to temper enthusiasm in their fans, it worked.  Well, it did more to piss off fans, but the result is the same: We're convinced they're not going to spend another dime.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Waiting for a quote from Hahn and JR in mid-August... "we didn't exactly game plan a scenario where our starting pitchers would actually be expected to cover 700+ innings in 2021."

Yeah. The way this team is built now, if they get an injury or two to the starting staff (as should be expected), they probably won't even make the playoffs. And that doesn't get in to expecting Cease to magically find his command under Katz.

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They are literally gambling an entire season on Katz being our savior with all these young arms instead of spending a measly $6M or so to bring in another starter?  It’s beyond mind-boggling.

So...what does this say about they front office that they kept Cooper on for this long...and then said that he was doing such an awful job that a new pitching coach will turn this whole staff into a championship rotation in a few months now that he’s gone?

23 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Well, if the Sox fed info to Nightengale so he could tweet what he did in order to temper enthusiasm in their fans, it worked.  Well, it did more to piss off fans, but the result is the same: We're convinced they're not going to spend another dime.

Well, at least this year I can’t say that they’re just lying to drive ticket sales.

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sullivan already pointed out we nearly doubled our payroll from the 2018 season!  Let’s ignore the fact Reinsdorf literally pocketed millions that season and that we are down YoY on what they were prepared to spend pre-COVID, but if this organization is good at one thing it’s using all resources to spin our payroll spending with the casual fans.

That’s also the season where a large chunk was off the books as Robert’s signing bonus and penalty.

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If this is all they do this offseason, blowing half of your available payroll on the most expensive closer on the market while ignoring other needs seems risky. 

• Like 2

Their offseason has been highly questionable and mostly garbage.

Liam Hendricks comes in and 'upgrades' Alex Colome. Look, it's an upgrade, not an addition. The money isn't that different and the results hopefully aaren't that different.

Lynn for one year over Dunning. Massive upgrade, but again, no addition here, and likely only for one year? Cost is more in millions but Lynn is one of the better salaries out there.

Adam Eaton over Mazara? Really? How long until Eaton is injured? Will he even be useful. Garbage.

tony La russa debaccle...

This offseason blows.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Yeah. The way this team is built now, if they get an injury or two to the starting staff (as should be expected), they probably won't even make the playoffs. And that doesn't get in to expecting Cease to magically find his command under Katz.

If Gioltio got injured in spring training, you’re looking at the following:

1. Lynn
  2. Keuchel
  3. Cease
  4. Lopez
  5. Kopech / Stiever

Holy fuck is that a problem.  We’re literally banking on massive improvements from basically all the young guys for us to overcome one major injury to the big three.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

So...what does this say about they front office that they kept Cooper on for this long...and then said that he was doing such an awful job that a new pitching coach will turn this whole staff into a championship rotation in a few months now that he’s gone?

I blame some of that on Reinsdorf loyalty, probably wasn’t easy to cut the cord with Coop.

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min