Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

13 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Their offseason has been highly questionable and mostly garbage.

Liam Hendricks comes in and 'upgrades' Alex Colome. Look, it's an upgrade, not an addition. The money isn't that different and the results hopefully aaren't that different.

Lynn for one year over Dunning. Massive upgrade, but again, no addition here, and likely only for one year? Cost is more in millions but Lynn is one of the better salaries out there.

Adam Eaton over Mazara? Really? How long until Eaton is injured? Will he even be useful. Garbage.

tony La russa debaccle...

This offseason blows.

This did they really improve that much or are they just banking on their young core to take a giant leap?

Well everyone believes what they want to believe, not here to convince people I am just like everyone else. In my older age I have become more optimistic and through this pandemic I learned to enjoy little things more. That stated, Hendricks is an upgrade and we got the best one in the bunch. Eaton is an upgrade I mean anyone could have been an upgrade but he is an upgrade , lynn as you mentioned is a major upgrade and usually the Sox make offers during spring training to roster pitchers. I can’t imagine the Sox not checking in with the agent around trade time on what his asking price might be and getting prepared for that. The key is not these additions which I think were nice additions, but it’s the progress of our younger players and the progress of guys like kopech , crochet , Lopez. It’s a new coaching staff and the knowledge they have a team that can win. I completely agree with the person who said the depth is still suspect, but we do have a back up waiting if Abreu goes down for two weeks, when anyone goes down clubs need to tread water until that player comes back. Do we have a enough...probably not but there is always room to get more later. The Sox will look for depth players now, backups or compete players. I am still bullish on a really great season.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Their offseason has been highly questionable and mostly garbage.

Liam Hendricks comes in and 'upgrades' Alex Colome. Look, it's an upgrade, not an addition. The money isn't that different and the results hopefully aaren't that different.

Lynn for one year over Dunning. Massive upgrade, but again, no addition here, and likely only for one year? Cost is more in millions but Lynn is one of the better salaries out there.

Adam Eaton over Mazara? Really? How long until Eaton is injured? Will he even be useful. Garbage.

tony La russa debaccle...

This offseason blows.

Look on the bright side.  If they sign Mazara, then Eaton IS an addition!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, quickman said:

Well everyone believes what they want to believe, not here to convince people I am just like everyone else. In my older age I have become more optimistic and through this pandemic I learned to enjoy little things more. That stated, Hendricks is an upgrade and we got the best one in the bunch. Eaton is an upgrade I mean anyone could have been an upgrade but he is an upgrade , lynn as you mentioned is a major upgrade and usually the Sox make offers during spring training to roster pitchers. I can’t imagine the Sox not checking in with the agent around trade time on what his asking price might be and getting prepared for that. The key is not these additions which I think were nice additions, but it’s the progress of our younger players and the progress of guys like kopech , crochet , Lopez. It’s a new coaching staff and the knowledge they have a team that can win. I completely agree with the person who said the depth is still suspect, but we do have a back up waiting if Abreu goes down for two weeks, when anyone goes down clubs need to tread water until that player comes back. Do we have a enough...probably not but there is always room to get more later. The Sox will look for depth players now, backups or compete players. I am still bullish on a really great season.

This is the 'ole 'Dad' mentality of love the white sox say no more (my dad has this same attitude and always calls every move the white sox make as amazing). 

What do you say about the ownership group when they were putting out very low payrolls during the rebuild and continued the talk of 'the money will be spent'?

What do you say about the fact that (from what I understand) our payroll this year (2021) is going to be less than it was in 2020?

I mean, take your optimistic train of thought and add a Bauer to it. Or instead of Eaton, maybe we got Ozuna or Springer or hell, even Pederson.

Say we added to your post Quintana AND Wainwright as depth. 

The fact is that the White Sox are crying poor at a time where they should be spending BIG (like they promised) and on top of it haven't really done anything this offseason.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This is the 'ole 'Dad' mentality of love the white sox say no more (my dad has this same attitude and always calls every move the white sox make as amazing). 

What do you say about the ownership group when they were putting out very low payrolls during the rebuild and continued the talk of 'the money will be spent'?

What do you say about the fact that (from what I understand) our payroll this year (2021) is going to be less than it was in 2020?

I mean, take your optimistic train of thought and add a Bauer to it. Or instead of Eaton, maybe we got Ozuna or Springer or hell, even Pederson.

The fact is that the White Sox are crying poor at a time where they should be spending BIG (like they promised) and on top of it haven't really done anything this offseason.

All good points and I am not trying to be an old Dad, I think the Sox didn’t spend and built up there assets of young players through trade and draft. They have some prime players through that build with more on the way. I guess as a life long Sox fan, old as I may be, and a one time season ticket holder for a decade, I see reinsdorf as the same as he has always been. Nothing has changed except they probably have had one of the best minor league talent and talent on “ the come” than I have ever seen in my history. That of course was do to them tearing things down. Maybe it’s the young that believed he would be different. I would say this if there was not a pandemic with no fans last year and no fans this year do you think the Sox would have spent more? I would say yes but I would also say everyone else would spend more as well. I believe in our talent coming up, it’s actually worked so far with Moncada Robert, eloy and so on. Agree there are question marks but they are better than last year at this time. Got your point though , but your owner is here to stay and this will be passed down to his kids with the same ideas past down. The cubs said the exact thing there is plenty of money and now the owner is cheaper than JR. most clubs are not spending or even improving. In the end it’s purely a business except to us fans. Nobody goes into business to lose money. Every business has a budget of some sort. Wish it was different, of all the teams with maybe the same model it’s Toronto that we wanted to be this year. The Mets  have an owner who will just spend , Padres of course did a nice job, Toronto was basically us with great drafts and good young players. They truly know their window. The Sox are a tick behind them. Again wish it was different but we have been the same and I have been watching since 1968. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

It is just so disappointing that this team is really on the cusp of being among the best in baseball, and just a couple of low and mid level contracts would get them there, and they can't pull the trigger.  Its demoralizing.  

This is the right way of saying it.  I haven't been this excited for a Sox season since 2006, and the decision to sign/not sign a Garret Richards type isn't going to change that.  But it would be beyond weird if the team didn't take the very modest steps necessary to fill the final holes.  It's like driving a Lamborghini with one treadless tire.  Maybe it will be fine.  It's a Lamborghini either way, and I'm not going to whine in front of my friends with Hyundai Sonatas.  But still...why not just replace it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

It is just so disappointing that this team is really on the cusp of being among the best in baseball, and just a couple of low and mid level contracts would get them there, and they can't pull the trigger.  Its demoralizing.  

Agreed 100%. I actually love the moves they made and think Eaton is actually going to be more 2019 than 2020 this season. That being said, the 12-15 million needed for next level team construction is baffling if it's not spent. I am high on Vaughn crushing it right away, but for both him and Kopech you need to probably do some time manipulation and the 45 days or so without them would literally make or break their chances at the best record in the league or even Division if twins add more still. 

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Agreed 100%. I actually love the moves they made and think Eaton is actually going to be more 2019 than 2020 this season. That being said, the 12-15 million needed for next level team construction is baffling if it's not spent. I am high on Vaughn crushing it right away, but for both him and Kopech you need to probably do some time manipulation and the 45 days or so without them would literally make or break their chances at the best record in the league or even Division if twins add more still. 

Vaughn and Kopech should be treated as luxuries and not dependents.  Rushing & pressuring them has a degree of failure attached to it; not just affecting the season and org but them as well.  If they're to be key pieces for this year's success, failure (typical rookie struggling/adjusting) is not an option and its not fair to them.  

I would really like to see Vaughn get seasoned in the minors for a year and Kopech used as a long reliever/spot starter.  His innings and outings can be managed so much easier while still presenting plenty of opportunity for important contributions.  He could still get himself enough starts with makeup DH's and the occasional skip by the other SP's.  Could plan some 5/4 innings with Cease/Kopech, too.  So many ways to creatively & effectively control his pitch counts.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This is a problem I have with a lot of Cubs fans. They tell me that we don't pay to see our team play but that they are loyal and go see their team no matter what.

Well then you might be a sucker and you give them no incentive to get better. See the Bears and the McCaskeys.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

I think Vaughn will be more like 20 days.  Kopech I wouldn't expect to see until mid June.  

But yeah, its really is demoralizing if this is the extent of the moves this offseason.

43 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Vaughn and Kopech should be treated as luxuries and not dependents.  Rushing & pressuring them has a degree of failure attached to it; not just affecting the season and org but them as well.  If they're to be key pieces for this year's success, failure (typical rookie struggling/adjusting) is not an option and its not fair to them.  

I would really like to see Vaughn get seasoned in the minors for a year and Kopech used as a long reliever/spot starter.  His innings and outings can be managed so much easier while still presenting plenty of opportunity for important contributions.  He could still get himself enough starts with makeup DH's and the occasional skip by the other SP's.  Could plan some 5/4 innings with Cease/Kopech, too.  So many ways to creatively & effectively control his pitch counts.

There is 0% chance Vaughn gets a season in the minors assuming he is healthy.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is 0% chance Vaughn gets a season in the minors assuming he is healthy.

So you think that if he starts in the minors and struggles  you think he gets brought up anyway ? Or are you 100% convinced he won't be less than stellar in AAA or where ever he starts .

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you think that if he starts in the minors and struggles  you think he gets brought up anyway ? Or are you 100% convinced he won't be less than stellar in AAA or where ever he starts .

For one, there is probably a decent chance that the minor league season doesn't even start before April 20 or whatever the exact date is to get the extra year (should be within a week of that).  And if he does stay in the minors past April, I don't see him struggling so much that the Sox play the entire season season with Yermin or Collins DHing most the time.  

13 hours ago, quickman said:

I would agree that at this point they are probably looking for depth players and to fill out the roster with the exception that they would still consider Bauer at the right price (Jerry’s price!). If not Bauer, they could bring in Odorizzi, Paxton, Archer or Teheran. We also forget that we have no idea if spring training will start on time, so it is possible Cruz, Ozuna and Bauer are taking time to decide in case there is a late market. Either way I am looking forward to seeing how these upgrades perform over the guys they brought in last year.

Hector is full of shit. Cruz is not coming to the Sox. He stays up north and torments us for another season. Odorizzi would be nice as a #4 or #5 until Cease, Kopech or Stiever is ready, Lopez is long relief with Cordero. 

We have a powerhouse lineup with or without Cruz. Cruz or Ozuna would be great as DH’S   Odorizzi would give us 4 Starters  that could eat innings. If we get to the 7th inning with a lead, it’s game over with Huer, Foster, Fry, Bummer and Hendriks, it’s lights out. 

3 studs as starters is great,  and a good #4 is great!!! Cease, Lopez and Kopech could fight it out for #5. 

I don’t listen to Gomez posts anymore. He’s full of shit. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Your Dad sounds like a wise man.  Life is to short to let a baseball team drive you over the edge.🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Don't worry about this poster.  He's a Padres fan now.

This is just not true, I couldn't stay up for the late west coast games so all west coast teams are n/a to me. 

However, if Portland ever gets a team, I think I'm moving there and giving them my allegiance. 

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min