Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

41 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Julio Franco is still a free agent, lol.

He actually could be one of those rarities like Minoso that could hit in 5 or 6 decades and not be a complete travesty.

Who was the last hitter at age 39 or 40 who came close to those numbers in the last couple of decades....just Bonds?

Looked it up...

• 10 players who hit the most home runs after turning 40. (USA TODAY Network) ...
  • Barry Bonds — 79. (Phil Carter-USA TODAY Sports) ...
  • Carlton Fisk — 72. (Bob Rosato-USA TODAY Sports) ...
  • Darrell Evans — 60. (USA Today Sports) ...
  • Dave Winfield — 59. (USA TODAY Sports) ...
  • Carl Yastrzemski — 49. ...
  • Stan Musial — 46. ...
  • Ted Williams — 44.
  • Hank Aaron/Raul Ibanez--42
  • Craig Nettles

Also, are we 100% sure it's not something about Oscar Colas and the next IFA signing period?

Harold Baines put up a .919 ops at age 40. Followed up with a .754 at 41 and .345 at 42.

At some Point cruz will come down but people already said that in 2017, 2018,2019 and 2020, I think at a 1 yr deal it would be worth a gamble.

That being said I would prefer a left handed bat who can also play another position.

The sox have vaughn coming up and eloy needing some days at DH, thus I think they could use a bit of flexibility.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the Sox were to sign him, I think it may suggest there is more to play with that we all think.

One day you're starting a thread facetiously thanking Reinsdorf for being Reinsdorfian and the next day you're trusting Hector Gomez thinking the Sox are going to spring for Nelson Cruz because there is more to play with than we think ? You are on a world class roller coaster my friend.

Trust your instincts not Hector. Your heart is in the right place but not your mind. One vague Tweet about Sox fans being very happy and you lose it.

Is it fun to think about ? Oh hell yes but it's not bloody likely. As a matter of fact it's so much fun to think about I want this post to age very very very poorly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good news for Sox fans would also be if Cruz was out of the division. So I don't think, if it is about Cruz, that he is a White Sox.

Plus they have Vaughn. You want to shorten the White Sox window to as small as possible, spend your money on 40 year old free agents and trade away the prospects you were able to get for sucking for several years. Makes no sense. You are going to need these guys and their low cost moving forward if you hope for any sustained success. 

Edited by Dick Allen

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

One day you're starting a thread facetiously thanking Reinsdorf for being Reinsdorfian and the next day you're trusting Hector Gomez thinking the Sox are going to spring for Nelson Cruz because there is more to play with than we think ? You are on a world class roller coaster my friend.

Trust your instincts not Hector. Your heart is in the right place but not your mind. One vague Tweet about Sox fans being very happy and you lose it.

Is it fun to think about ? Oh hell yes but it's not bloody likely. As a matter of fact it's so much fun to think about I want this post to age very very very poorly.

All good points, but in all honesty I’m skeptical this is true.  But if it were true, I’d be shocked if they had ~$15M of budget left and they spent the bulk of it on an actual DH and basically ignored the rotation.  We definitely need another starter and I’m confident they will add that, so signing Cruz would imply there has to be more money available.  I’m not suggesting that means we’re suddenly approach the luxury tax, but perhaps we end up in the $145M to $150M range.  Again, I’m doubtful any of that happens and fully expect a Richards or Quintana +’La Stella type to end this offseason.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

All good points, but in all honesty I’m skeptical this is true.  But if it were true, I’d be shocked if they had ~$15M of budget left and they spent the bulk of it on an actual DH and basically ignored the rotation.  We definitely need another starter and I’m confident they will add that, so signing Cruz would imply there has to be more money available.  I’m not suggesting that means we’re suddenly approach the luxury tax, but perhaps we end up in the $145M to $150M range.  Again, I’m doubtful any of that happens and fully expect a Richards or Quintana +’La Stella type to end this offseason.

I don't think this cruz stuff is true, but the sox blowing the budget on the top DH and top closer would be hilarious because it would both subvert and reinforce longstanding opinions on how sox operate.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Am I the only one that doesn't really want Cruz on this team? Yes, he's been ridiculous and very good (especially against the Sox), but he's 40 years old. At some point he's not going to be able to keep this up, right? It would be so White Sox to bring him him only to see him completely fall off a cliff in production. I wouldn't HATE if they got him for the DH, and on paper this looks great in the lineup, but man, this feels so EE all over again.

Signing a 40 year old right handed DH, albeit one who was really good at age 39, only makes sense if the Sox sign Bauer or make a deal for another 1/2 type starter to be all in for this year.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I don’t recall seeing this mentioned, but Hector has tweeted about Yadi a few times during the offseason.  

If he feels a 68 year old catcher would make the Sox fans very happy then I think he needs to reevaluate what makes Sox fans very happy 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

If he feels a 68 year old catcher would make the Sox fans very happy then I think he needs to reevaluate what makes Sox fans very happy 

he can barely use twitterI don't know why this would be a surprise.

But he's probably right in at least that if sox signed yadi, the old baseball guard like nightengale will faint from happiness. He'll barely be able to get his tweet out without crying.

Nelson Cruz hot taek:

Hard to measure in dollars but if you are an Andrew Vaughn bull, it is definitely worth *something* to get his 29 year old season as opposed to his 23.  Especially, when you currently have Abreu.  It also gives Hahn another full year of negotiating if he is interested in working out one of his extensions. The guy has less than 200 milb plate appearances and he'd be blocked by the AL MVP and top DH in the league, so I don't think this would be controversial. And obviously, he is always in Charlotte in the event you need him.

If one would redirect whatever that is *worth* to Cruz, you might think that could be enough to get him. 

Edited by GREEDY

13 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Think about it this way: even if Cruz was garbage on the Sox, at least he wouldn’t be playing for the Twins anymore. There is literally no downside to this.

Unless his replacement w the Twins kills us next year and Cruz is garbage for us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With ya, makes more sense to judiciously spend the remaining budget to get a SP & DH combo, which means a lesser DH than Cruz.  And La Stella is 2 roles of the price of one.  After SP is signed and if not enough for La Stella, a cheaper version is Astrubal Cabrera do be the same duel role guy; a solid SH with good LH power   And, not as critical but still smart, I would like to see a backup C.   At only ~$2m, an astute tactical move.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

At some Point cruz will come down but people already said that in 2017, 2018,2019 and 2020, I think at a 1 yr deal it would be worth a gamble.

That being said I would prefer a left handed bat who can also play another position.

The sox have vaughn coming up and eloy needing some days at DH, thus I think they could use a bit of flexibility.

We already tried that with Encarnacion last year and it was a disaster. 

No more 35-40 year old DHs, please. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

We already tried that with Encarnacion last year and it was a disaster. 

No more 35-40 year old DHs, please. 

You saw the decline in EE the year prior, not saying that it’s impossible for that to happen to Cruz but he does not look like he’s at the point of slowing down yet 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

You saw the decline in EE the year prior, not saying that it’s impossible for that to happen to Cruz but he does not look like he’s at the point of slowing down yet 

I was actually going to add that to my post, but it isn't just him. Also LaRoche, who was coming off of a good year and just lost it at 35. 

But, I guess you could sort of see the decline coming there too. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Cruz's stats the past 5 years have been .286/.369/.932 and he just got an abbreviated season to provide more rest. Yes, he'll slow down eventually, but unless everyone expects a monumental drop off, it hasn't arrived yet.

Vaughn is your insurance policy. Depending on price - what's the downside?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would love a Quintana/La Stella finish to the offseason. This is a pretty damn good roster:

Lineup

1. Anderson
  2. Moncada
  3. Abreu
  4. Eloy
  5. Grandal
  6. Robert
  7. Vaughn
  8. Eaton
  9. Madrigal

Bench

1. La Stella
  2. Leury
  3. Collins
  4. Engel

Rotation

1. Giolito
  2. Lynn
  3. Keuchel
  4. Quintana
  5. Cease

Bullpen

1. Hendriks
  2. Bummer
  3. Crochet
  4. Marshall
  5. Heuer
  6. Foster
  7. Lopez
  8. Fry
Edited by SoxBlanco

If you can sign Cruz and acquire another starter then you do it. If Cruz flames out you can give Vaughn a shot. If Cruz is anywhere near his previous production he can carry you to the playoffs and a title. If his OPS drops to say 850, which would be a huge drop, that would still be very good for us. 

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Without bauer this team isn’t making it to the pkayoffs, starting pitching will be in shambles 

Don't get me wrong...I want another pitcher (Bauer preferred) to make the road to the playoffs easier.  Bauer would make us a good bet along with the Dodgers to win the WS.  However,  I have no doubt this team is making the playoffs even with the team as it currently stands.

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min