Musgrove to Padres

bmags

Wow, Padres strike again and burn the hearts of White Sox fans. :(.

Every move they make strikes a weird jealous nerve in me. 

Great for them, and it does seem like Musgrove netted quite a bit of a return here. I'm not mad that the White Sox didn't match it/go for it with the return on Musgrove so far, but yeh it sucks for us. 

43 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also doesn’t help that all the outfield prospects didn’t pan out from the Rutherford, Gonzalez, Adolfo group

Ad if this is a lesson that needs to be learned since the Sox don't seem to do it very often is  SS's and CF's prospects get the most attention because they can be switched to other positions.

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Great for them, and it does seem like Musgrove netted quite a bit of a return here. I'm not mad that the White Sox didn't match it/go for it with the return on Musgrove so far, but yeh it sucks for us. 

But what did the Padres really give up?   More minor league depth, and Lucchesi is much more valuable to another team as a 5 than a long man.   They're actually better off not paying him and giving that spot to youngsters with more ability.  He's actually one of those guys like Davies that you put in the final slot and he won't kill you but he will keep any good offense within shouting distance. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The Padres offseason highlights how far the Sox have to go at player development compared to the organizations that really excel in that area.

I don’t even think it’s player development. It’s player acquisition.

But let’s also remember one thing: the mlb rewards the Padres, located in one of the richer locales in sports, another draft pick every draft that they can use to bundle budget and get a Hudson head. 

And they have an owner who spends more than ours. We are at a disadvantage there. I think we get less intl budget too? Just horseshit

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ad if this is a lesson that needs to be learned since the Sox don't seem to do it very often is  SS's and CF's prospects get the most attention because they can be switched to other positions.

That's why Croenenworth, CJ Abrams and the Korean infielder will be so valuable.... positional versatility. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

But let’s also remember one thing: the mlb rewards the Padres, located in one of the richer locales in sports, another draft pick every draft that they can use to bundle budget and get a Hudson head. 

And they have an owner who spends more than ours. We are at a disadvantage there. I think we get less intl budget too? Just horseshit

But the 28th or 29th media market...otoh, losing the Chargers and their NBA franchise consolidates sports marketing/sponsirship dollars as well as frees more fans for choosing ticket packages across just one sport versus three. 

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

You're very weak if this "burns the heart."

The Sox were never rumored for Musgrove.  Don't have the prospects to make a trade like this.  There are similar level pitchers in Free Agency right now.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

You're very weak if this "burns the heart."

The Sox were never rumored for Musgrove.  Don't have the prospects to make a trade like this.  There are similar level pitchers in Free Agency right now.

Quintana and Richards are similar to Musgrove? They're twice as expensive and twice as likely not to perform well. Musgrove really turned a corner last year. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

They also have a GM who can evaluate players.  

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Padres’s only real weakness was health of their rotation. They have that addressed now.

I’m not impressed by their lineup as it currently stands. Great 3-4, after that? Lot of meh.