Mets GM Jared Porter fired

Rey21

57 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

wait...........

what?????

That was the twitter name of the person who DM'd Passan with the scoop on TLR's DUI arrest.  If it got out that he was the source, and said source had a sordid history of his own, vengeful types could leak that info as well.  Just sayin.......

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Personally I believe this is your worst guessed percentage in your entire posting history.  I think a lot higher of the majority of the people that post here 

“Oh come on, like you haven't sent a few dick DMs here and there yourself....

I bet former Chicago sports reporter Sierra Santos alone knows what the junk of half of Soxtalk looks like.”

Verbatim quote from a poster earlier in the thread

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And this is why women wait years, if ever, to say anything.

Imagine how good it would have been for her career to just sleep with him and get the sources.  Just a horrible position to put her in and this guy as noted is scum.  He should be cast out from baseball.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

44 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Imagine how good it would have been for her career to just sleep with him and get the sources.  Just a horrible position to put her in and this guy as noted is scum.  He should be cast out from baseball.

Therein lies the rub.  I can’t imagine there’s a single baseball reporter or online sleuth thinking that attempting to sleep with Kim Ng for those same inside sources would be a wise strategy.   That a baseball reporter from Latin America would be put in a position to hesitate or think it might benefit her career...an advancement strategy...tells us all we need to know about the good ‘ol boys club mentality still prevailing.  The saddest part of the story is that she’s now in finance, which is not that much better for avoiding harassment, but where she is undoubtedly treated better simply because of the general wariness in the corporate world that’s at least partially a result of the #metoo campaign.

Of course, if women use their appearance to get ahead...they get called out or labelled, with the double standard of men getting praised or cheered on by their buddies, we even have sports terminology for it, “being a player.”

Too bad Porter didn’t have the opportunity to watch Promising Young Woman first to make him think twice.

9 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He deserves it, although Cohen's zero tolerance line was BS. If there was zero tolerance, how come Sandy Alderson was trying to spin it yesterday? 

But for Porter, what an idiot. Has to be done in baseball. Ruin your total career on an attempt at an inappropriate relationship.  

Important life lesson here, but before you send 67 sexually oriented text messages (including a dick pic) to a member of the opposite sex without getting any sort of response, maybe just rub one out and call it a day.

And the other part of this goes to the heart of males (in general, or specific media personalities) constantly making comments about female sports reporters’ appearance, the way they’re dressed, and intimating that they’re in their positions solely because of appearance and to merely stand there in the spotlight with “the male gaze” upon them.

Having lived in Colombia for one year...and witnessed the "machismo" first hand, it strikes one immediately how women are extremely objectified, pushed to get plastic surgery (even by their families), judged primarily on appearance and ability to be "eye candy" for their guy.  This reporter must have thought America that men would be so much more respectful.  In South America, very few women even go outside without full make-up and jeans or a skirt, and it's QUITE common for women to be whistled at and "cat-called" in the streets.  

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2021/1/19/22239064/mets-jared-porter-fire-cohen-alderson-new-york

They come after Trevor Bauer pretty hard about his treatment of women online (and I'm not so familiar at all with this, specifically) and also "hiding behind that with the fact that he has a female agent."

https://theathletic.com/2332861/2021/01/19/ghiroli-be-nice-female-reporters/?source=emp_shared_article

‘Be nice’: For female reporters, it can feel like there is no other choice

"In 2012, the Orioles were doing something completely unexpected: winning. Baltimore was, somewhat improbably, defying numbers and critics en route to the organization’s first playoff berth in 15 years. The night before the wild card game, I was in my Texas hotel room when I got a text message from a player saying he had something to tell me, but didn’t want to do it over the phone.

I don’t remember being worried about anything. This particular player, who is no longer in baseball, had helped me before with information about roster moves and sometimes told me about guys dealing with secret injuries. I got in my car that night and drove over to where the team was staying in Dallas. (I learned early on, a lot of problems can be avoided as a traveling female beat reporter if you stay in a separate hotel.) Possibilities raced through my head. Someone must be hurt. There’s got to be some big roster move or pitching change. 

I was 26 years old. I..."

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And this is why women wait years, if ever, to say anything

Leila Rahimi, Jenn Sterger and Cody Decker were must listens on the topic on 670 the Score today, especially Sterger, who had career setbacks as fallout from Favre dick pics.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

How do those guys think they are getting away with that? An old saying is "the internet never forgets" so if they had any brain they would know this will come out at some point, especially if you send explicit stuff.

Now in the past often women would shut up because if you talked you were blackmailed out of the game but in days of Me too more women come out fortunately.

Those guys who abuse their power need to be weeded out.