Jose Quintana...Signs with Angels (1YR 8M)

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Giolito-Lynn-Keuchel-Quintana- Cease/Kopech Is pretty good, especially with our bullpen. 

In essence, a 5th starter is what's needed.  I've been saying since last Spring, one of either Cease or Kopech needs to end up turning into a TOR stud in order for this rebuild to have been a complete success.  

Quintana as an affordable #5....yes, sign me up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

In essence, a 5th starter is what's needed.  I've been saying since last Spring, one of either Cease or Kopech needs to end up turning into a TOR stud in order for this rebuild to have been a complete success.  

Quintana as an affordable #5....yes, sign me up. 

Yup, and that rotation (outside of Kopech) is extremely durable with Q at 5. Guys that stay healthy and eat innings. I don’t understand why people don’t want Q. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Yup, and that rotation (outside of Kopech) is extremely durable with Q at 5. Guys that stay healthy and eat innings. I don’t understand why people don’t want Q. 

For the record, I am super on board with Q. I just fall into the camp that is disappointed the Sox apparently aren't in on Bauer to really bolster things. If Q is our only additional starter from this point this offseason then I worry about our chances in the playoffs. As far as playing for the division, I feel fairly comfortable about their chances, but as others have said, we shouldn't be aiming to be the Twins. 

Edited by RagahRagah

I definitely want Quintana. I think his production will surprise some people (the people who somehow think he's just another Gio Gonzalez from last year). Everybody seems fine with Keuchel as one of our top 3, but then don't want Quintana to be a #4. It doesn't make much sense to me. I have confidence that Quintana will still produce next year.

Look, obviously Trevor Bauer should be the answer, but the Sox aren't in that market.  For my two cents, when I look at this rotation as it stands today there are a whole of of innings and starts to fill.  We know Kopech probably isn't starting this season with the big team.  It really sounds like they want Crochet working out of the pen.  So how do you fill those innings?

For my two cents, my #1 goal is to not do anything that endangers the depth and future pieces we have coming through the system.  We already did it with Dunning and Lynn.  Hopefully Lynn extends to fix another future hole in the pen, but until they, the pitching should be mostly off limits.  Maybe a Steiver whose timing is blocked by the guys who are already ahead of him, but for the most part, pitching should be off limits.

#2 hopefully we are looking at the free agent market.  Keep in mind with the injury risks, if they aren't starting, then you are dropping into the minors to cover their starts.  So if your bring in a Paxton or Richards, sure you get some great starts, but then you also get Reynaldo Lopez, Jon Stiever, and company doing a lot of other starts.  The stability of knowing that you are pretty sure about getting a certain guy, and knowing that he is going to give you six innings every five days allows you to set your pen, not overextend those guys, and have them ready to go when you need them. 

#3, again while it would be nice to be getting a top flight guy to fill in back of the rotation, if you can't, it isn't the worst thing, because you are going to be running one of the best offenses in baseball out on the field every day, so if you have to win some games 7-5, so be it.  You are OK with that.

#4, while we want the Sox to spend, they are obviously being safe and conservative with the budget.  Assuming this season isn't a worst case scenario, hopefully a budget conscious move allows them to make another move at the deadline, if needed.

Realistically, Jose Quintana fits this resume.  He is also a guy you already know, and he seemed to fit into the White Sox just fine before, so there isn't a real feel that he wouldn't now.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

As of now the Sox have 3 starters you would say are reliable. Giolito, Kuechel and Lynn.  Cease, Lopez, Kopech all have issues. Katz might make Cease and Lopez reliable, Kopech, because you know he likes to be in shape, and ready to pitch so he probably didn't blow his routine off when he was out, might be just about ready to go. Or not for all. Obviously, top of the rotation would be better, but the Sox need innings. Just pick a guy that can give you back of the rotatiion  innings. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'd much rather take Q as a 4/5 rather than trade Kelley because the foodies are suggesting that right now thats whats holding up the trade route since other teams want him. 

We need to keep some good SP prospects for the second part of the window. 

Me too.  Sure would be great if he would take a bit of home town discount so we could squeeze La Stella in, too.

Bauer makes the most sense as a three year bridge.  The problem becomes how long do you wait.

It is the same thing with Joc.  

The White Sox need to fill two holes a DH and starter.  Yes Cruz and Bauer are the obvious answers as was Joc for RF before Eaton but at some point you need to fill them or risk getting burned.

At this point the Padres would have saved a ton of minor league capital by signing Bauer and trading for Darvish but instead went and got Snell and Musgrove as well. 

3 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Me too.  Sure would be great if he would take a bit of home town discount so we could squeeze La Stella in, too.

Yes that would be ideal. I think they are trying to wait Q out right now to see if he accepts their price but if push comes to shove they may need to move ReyLo to get that 2m off the books to make the math work for both Q and La Stella. 

Love sox fans shitting on Q as a #5. He's 31 years old two years younger than Keuchel and they're not asking him to be a front of the rotation guy (all though i fully believe he still has that capability). 

Sign Q, La Stella or Profar and Avila and call it an offseason. See the yankees in the ALCS.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yes that would be ideal. I think they are trying to wait Q out right now to see if he accepts their price but if push comes to shove they may need to move ReyLo to get that 2m off the books to make the math work for both Q and La Stella. 

ReyLo's so very interesting.  He's got the stuff.  Sone day its going to click for him.  Sox and others know it.  It makes him good trade material and good to keep.  Obviously, I'm right down the middle with him.   

3 minutes ago, beautox said:

Love sox fans shitting on Q as a #5. He's 31 years old two years younger than Keuchel and they're not asking him to be a front of the rotation guy (all though i fully believe he still has that capability). 

Sign Q, La Stella or Profar and Avila and call it an offseason. See the yankees in the ALCS.

This.  I'd throw SH Asdrubal Cabrera in there too; a cheaper version of La Stella (2/3 discount) with good power from left side. 

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look, obviously Trevor Bauer should be the answer, but the Sox aren't in that market.  For my two cents, when I look at this rotation as it stands today there are a whole of of innings and starts to fill.  We know Kopech probably isn't starting this season with the big team.  It really sounds like they want Crochet working out of the pen.  So how do you fill those innings?

For my two cents, my #1 goal is to not do anything that endangers the depth and future pieces we have coming through the system.  We already did it with Dunning and Lynn.  Hopefully Lynn extends to fix another future hole in the pen, but until they, the pitching should be mostly off limits.  Maybe a Steiver whose timing is blocked by the guys who are already ahead of him, but for the most part, pitching should be off limits.

#2 hopefully we are looking at the free agent market.  Keep in mind with the injury risks, if they aren't starting, then you are dropping into the minors to cover their starts.  So if your bring in a Paxton or Richards, sure you get some great starts, but then you also get Reynaldo Lopez, Jon Stiever, and company doing a lot of other starts.  The stability of knowing that you are pretty sure about getting a certain guy, and knowing that he is going to give you six innings every five days allows you to set your pen, not overextend those guys, and have them ready to go when you need them. 

#3, again while it would be nice to be getting a top flight guy to fill in back of the rotation, if you can't, it isn't the worst thing, because you are going to be running one of the best offenses in baseball out on the field every day, so if you have to win some games 7-5, so be it.  You are OK with that.

#4, while we want the Sox to spend, they are obviously being safe and conservative with the budget.  Assuming this season isn't a worst case scenario, hopefully a budget conscious move allows them to make another move at the deadline, if needed.

Realistically, Jose Quintana fits this resume.  He is also a guy you already know, and he seemed to fit into the White Sox just fine before, so there isn't a real feel that he wouldn't now.

I don't think we see Kopech or Crochet till after the ASB/Sept. If upon signing a 5th starter today the staff would likely look like this with the following first up.

Giolito
Keuchel*
Lynn
Cease

Hendriks
Bummer*
Heuer
Marshall
Foster
Fry*
Cordero
Lopez

with Stiever, Lambert & Flores the first ones up for a spot start and Burdi & possibly Flores first up to add depth to the pen. The sox are going to give Crochet every opportunity to start as he is way more valuable in the rotation his floor is a Hader/Miller type. They got a steal just like sale in the previous draft class.

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

ReyLo's so very interesting.  He's got the stuff.  Sone day its going to click for him.  Sox and others know it.  It makes him good trade material and good to keep.  Obviously, I'm right down the middle with him.   

An Edwin Jackson type so to speak. I just don't see it. 

1 hour ago, RagahRagah said:

For the record, I am super on board with Q. I just fall into the camp that is disappointed the Sox apparently aren't in on Bauer to really bolster things. If Q is our only additional starter from this point this offseason then I worry about our chances in the playoffs. As far as playing for the division, I feel fairly comfortable about their chances, but as others have said, we shouldn't be aiming to be the Twins. 

The camp disappointed the Sox aren't in on Bauer is the delusional portion of our fanbase. 

If you haven't figured out the White Sox (shitty) business model by now then you haven't been paying attention.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Jose Quintana...Signs with Angels (1YR 8M)