Are the White Sox "done" making moves until spring training?

VAfan

If people loved taking chances with Kluber...isn't Paxton a similar style high risk/high reward option? Also, he should be available easily on a one year prove it deal allowing Kopech to slide in around June/July. 

Good article from a yankees perspective right before they signed Klubot.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2021/1/15/22231536/yankees-mlb-offseason-free-agency-starting-pitcher-corey-kluber-james-paxton-injured-list

I do like that Paxton hit 94mph in December. Sox don't need him to be healthy for a whole season, so maybe he is a good get before he flames out. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

This is not knee-jerk. For over a month now you have just added putrid vitriol to every post. Even when the Sox make moves, you are there to pile on more criticism. The fact is that only a handful of teams this offseason have made their teams better and spent money or made significant trades. The Sox are one of them. Do we need to like all their moves...no. But to constantly harp on things you have no real knowledge of like it's owed to you is just silly. I would love to have seen your reaction to the 2004 offseason. you probably shit on Podsednik and the moves made ad nauseum. There is still time for the roster to be complete...but this board would be a whole lot better if every 5th post wasn't just a total shit on JR, Hahn or payroll. This is a world championship competing team, whether we agree with that or not. 

"Vitriol with every post" is hyperbole.

They essentially made 2 moves. One I was happy for, the other I was not. I had reasons, which I provided. If that is not good enough for you, I'm sorry. But I'm not going to inject fake optimism or refrain from JUSTIFIED criticisms (most that many others are making) to make you feel better.

There ARE legitimate reasons to be mad with the FO and there's no reason people can't be fans of other teams as well. So yes, your post was knee-jerk.

If you want to ignore me, I don't think you need to post just to make an announcement for attention. Just do it.

Edited by RagahRagah

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

If people loved taking chances with Kluber...isn't Paxton a similar style high risk/high reward option? Also, he should be available easily on a one year prove it deal allowing Kopech to slide in around June/July. 

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2021/1/15/22231536/yankees-mlb-offseason-free-agency-starting-pitcher-corey-kluber-james-paxton-injured-list

I do like that Paxton hit 94mph in December. Sox don't need him to be healthy for a whole season, so maybe he is a good get before he flames out. 

I think.  Paxton does have worse injury history and a lower ceiling though.  But yes, he's Kluber-lite this offseason.  I'd be happy

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

For the record, I would support a Pax signing. 

They know they need another starter.  They'll get one.  Rick Hahn's statement is exactly what you'd expect from a front office attempting to negotiate with player agents.  He's not going to say "we're desperate for one more starter."  

I'm really curious to see whether they'll get another bat, which I see as more of a luxury with this lineup.  

1 minute ago, fathom said:

As good as there is with spin rate for a starter

I'm just not sure it matters if he can't take the ball and produce. He hasn't shown he can do that for 6 seasons now. He's had two healthy and productive seasons in his career and they were 2014 & 2015. Seems like flushing money to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

What's his spin rate the last 5 years after 70 innings?

He had TJS in 2018 and his stuff was back last year.  Sure he’s a risk but everyone besides Bauer is. As I’ve said a few times, the Sox loved him in college and Katz has worked with him before.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

He had TJS in 2018 and his stuff was back last year.  Sure he’s a risk but everyone besides Bauer is. As I’ve said a few times, the Sox loved him in college and Katz has worked with him before.

I would say there are vastly different levels of risks between the rest of the guys and Richards right?  Richards could literally pitch 30 innings and i'd imagine his over/under for innings in Vegas would be close to 60 or so.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I would say there are vastly different levels of risks between the rest of the guys and Richards right?  Richards could literally pitch 30 innings and i'd imagine his over/under for innings in Vegas would be close to 60 or so.

Would anyone be expecting him to produce down the stretch in September and beyond? If he can't handle it as a starter and none of the young guys step up, the Sox are stuck looking at acquiring a starter at the deadline. If you are willing to take on some risk, Paxton seems like such a better option. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I think Richards has a higher ceiling than anyone left besides Bauer

Agreed. He is another season post surgery. His history is he is a good pitcher, but we'll break down after 100 innings. I'll take that and then onto Crochet and Kopech after June or July. Better than trotting out mediocrity for a whole season.

Edited by Pal

56 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

1. Bauer (obviously)

2. Quintana (reliable)

3.  Paxton (ceiling)

4. Jake Odorizzi

4. Tanaka (reliable)

5. Walker (young/ceiling)

6. Cole Hamels

7. Rich Hill

8. Garrett Richards 

When you lay it out like this and contemplate how the team is currently put together, you can make a case for how the difference in who they bring in (and amt. of cash outlay and/or prospect capital required) will likely determine the overall postseason outlook. That is to say Bauer gives us a better than fighting chance to compete in a WS in '21. Similarly, some of the names suggested as trade targets...Castillo, Marquez, Woodruff, Burnes, etc. provide the same likelihood. Everyone else is a crapshoot. For me its that simple.

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

When you lay it out like this and contemplate how the team is currently put together, you can make a case for how the difference in who they bring in (and amt. of cash outlay and/or prospect capital required) will likely determine the overall postseason outlook. That is to say Bauer gives us a better than fighting chance to compete in a WS in '21. Similarly, some of the names suggested as trade targets...Castillo, Marquez, Woodruff, Burnes, etc. provide the same likelihood. Everyone else is a crapshoot. For me its that simple.

They're not going to trade for any of those players unless they up what they are willing to trade.  What they are currently offering is not nearly enough to get a deal of significance done.  They were very much in on Musgrove but were unwilling to part with the players to get it done.  Maybe a team comes along that is desperate enough to drop payroll that they take a short return but right now it looks like a FA not named Bauer is the likelier scenario.  

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're not going to trade for any of those players unless they up what they are willing to trade.  What they are currently offering is not nearly enough to get a deal of significance done.  They were very much in on Musgrove but were unwilling to part with the players to get it done.  Maybe a team comes along that is desperate enough to drop payroll that they take a short return but right now it looks like a FA not named Bauer is the likelier scenario.  

I like the ole saying..." some of the best trades are the ones not made".  You only risk money with signing a FA.  These prospects can come back to bite you for years.  Just my opinion.