Are the White Sox "done" making moves until spring training?

VAfan

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He has maxed out at 76.1 IP for the last 5 years.  If you are counting on him for more innings than he has ever given you in the last 5 years, you are doing it wrong.

I think we're the same here.  I don't want him because of his limited innings and extreme injury history.  That's why his risk/cost ranks #1.

10 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

I think we're the same here.  I don't want him because of his limited innings and extreme injury history.  That's why his risk/cost ranks #1.

But out of the guys remaining not named Bauer, you can make a case that he's the highest reward player.

Bauer aside I would rather focus on a SP we can rely on health wise. We have a great BP and O. We dont NEED (yes I would love to) a SP that only gives up 3 runs a game. We need someone we can rely on to pitch every 5th game and keep the team in the game. 

Of course I would rather get a SP w/ the ceiling of being a #3 but if it was my money, based on our BP and O, I would rather gamble on a SP that has shown he can pitch every 5 days. None of the guys available now are sure fire things (again, Bauer aside).

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

But out of the guys remaining not named Bauer, you can make a case that he's the highest reward player.

Not necessarily,  I think I'd give that tag to Walker.  Given both had TJ, Walker's younger and similar resume.  Not sure going back 5-7 years ago with Richards, after all his arm trouble (bicep nerve shuts down bicep from working - crazy), is all that useful for measuring reward. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Not necessarily,  I think I'd give that tag to Walker.  Given both had TJ, Walker's younger and similar resume.  Not sure going back 5-7 years ago with Richards, after all his arm trouble (bicep nerve shuts down bicep from working - crazy), is all that useful for measuring reward. 

Out of the 2, Walker seems to have lost more velocity compared to when he came up.

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, I know he's similarly unlikely but Odorizzi.

But of next tier, Paxton has similar availability concerns but has high upside. 

Then for me its Richards.

The only other high upside guys to me are Jimmy Nelson and Chris Archer.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Out of the 2, Walker seems to have lost more velocity compared to when he came up.

His era kept improving through his full SP years; 15 through '17 until TJ.  For most of that time, Richards' velocity was zero!  Too many meaningless analytics.  Just give me they guy who's best at keeping runs from crossing the plate over the longest # of innings vs his salary. 

23 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I assume for this conversation we are ignoring Tanaka because he is likely too expensive?  

Oh, yeah. 

Tanaka would just feast on a lot of the young aggressive hitters in central too

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're not going to trade for any of those players unless they up what they are willing to trade.  What they are currently offering is not nearly enough to get a deal of significance done.  They were very much in on Musgrove but were unwilling to part with the players to get it done.  Maybe a team comes along that is desperate enough to drop payroll that they take a short return but right now it looks like a FA not named Bauer is the likelier scenario.  

But do we really know what /who we are willing to trade? There has been speculation based on member preferences...'we can part with him but no way can we part with so and so' but its generally the same names in different packages. If our goal is to win it all and we believe are 1 ace pitcher away, maybe we should broaden our list of untouchables. I also believe we can do business with Reds (Castillo/Gray) if we agreed to take on Moustakas or Castellanos, which would obviously increase payroll but also lower the prospect capital. 

28 minutes ago, Flash said:

But do we really know what /who we are willing to trade? There has been speculation based on member preferences...'we can part with him but no way can we part with so and so' but its generally the same names in different packages. If our goal is to win it all and we believe are 1 ace pitcher away, maybe we should broaden our list of untouchables. I also believe we can do business with Reds (Castillo/Gray) if we agreed to take on Moustakas or Castellanos, which would obviously increase payroll but also lower the prospect capital. 

It doesn't sound like they're willing to broaden the list or take on too much money so the trade options are limited to say the least.  

BTW- I heard Gray and Suarez to the Mets.

I asked James Fegan if the Sox are interested in Quintana and La Stella. 

His response goes in harmony with what one of the food guys said about a $8 million limit for SP. It seems they are looking for a deal on someone. Sucks if they are hoping La Stella isn’t getting a starting job. I’m sure someone will give it to him.

This was his response: 

Not beyond a general sense of they could fit. The party line has been that Nick Madrigal is supposed to be ready for Opening Day, which you could read as posturing for price with someone like La Stella, but both those guys are pursuing assured starting roles, so the Sox would be pouncing in the case they cannot find it.

Edited by Orlando

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It doesn't sound like they're willing to broaden the list or take on too much money so the trade options are limited to say the least.  

BTW- I heard Gray and Suarez to the Mets.

NL Central is going to be such a joke. Also I think Springer goes to Jays for a number that will piss us off that the Sox didn’t pursue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m just thinking out loud here, but a Codi Heuer (plus more obviously) for Chris Paddack swap might make sense for both sides. The bullpen is the Padres glaring weakness right now, and Paddack has become an afterthought for them now after all their SP acquisitions. 

He's still penciled into the rotation right now.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Not for long, Gore is coming soon. Paddack will most likely be the odd one out at that point.

Lament is also in the rotation. By the time Gore is ready, someone can be out with injury or one of the younger guys can be pitching poorly so that might be an option as well.  Still relievers out there they could sign.