Are the White Sox "done" making moves until spring training?

VAfan

During the presser announcing the signing of Liam Hendriks, Rick Hahn said the following:

“I’m going to err on the other end of the extreme of that comment and say, ‘If this is our group, we’re very happy with it and we’ll go to camp with these guys and we’ll sort it out there,’” Hahn said. “But we feel we’ve got the makings of a championship team.

“It’s always probably somewhere in between those two answers. [There’s] always another move we feel we can make to get us better. We’re going to continue to explore to see if something lines up, but there’s no guarantee it will. So if this in fact is our group, we feel pretty good about where we sit today.”

So what is it going to be?

Is what the Sox have assembled to this point going to be "our group", with management "very happy with it"?

Or, since "there's always another move [they] feel [they] can make to get ... better", will the Sox in fact make one or more moves? 

And, if it's the latter, when will that happen? 

I think we all want the Sox NOT to be done adding. Heck, a lot of folks still want the Sox to sign Bauer AND Springer or Brantley or Cruz. But the "realists" say the Sox will never spend the money, and so they look for cheaper options that could still improve the club. 

We've had a whole lot of posts about WHO the Sox might get.

The question of this post is whether the Sox are DONE until Spring Training when they get to see what they might have with a potentially revamped Dylan Cease, a potentially rusty Michael Kopech, Reynaldo Lopez, and Garrett Crochet, among others, plus a better idea if Andrew Vaughn would be ready for a major role once they play the service time game. They will also want to evaluate their catching depth.  

We all know where we think they should add. Starting pitching and a lefty DH/part-time fielder. 

The question is: will they? 

Can I split the difference? I could still see them adding another starting pitcher and/or a lefty/DH type, but only on their teams, and on the lower end of the market now.

I'd be very surprised if they were to jump in on an elite free agent. Outside of Hendricks, they haven't been willing to spend on those types of players this off-season with Eaton a lower end OF and trading for Lynn (right now, a 1 year deal).

They are spending more money than most MLB teams, but for a team this close to the next level, it would be great to see them make one additional significant move, but I think it's more likely they will spend on lower end players and hope they pan out on a 1 year deal.

@VAfan, you omitted the best part of Rick Hahn’s quote:

"To quote Hoosiers, our team is on the floor,"

Perhaps Rick Hahn pulled another Hoosiers quote during his interview of Tony.

I don't know why Cletus drug your tired old bones in here, he musta owed you somethin' fierce. Fact is, mister, you start screwin' up this team, I'll personally hide-strap your ass to a pine rail and send you up the Monon Line!

In terms of your question, I don’t believe they will spend “Eaton” money ($8M) on any individual player, but may spend $8M - $10M collectively, perhaps even a few million more total through the trade deadline, across 2-3 players (either guaranteed or part of Minor League ST invites)

With the fact that MLB Collusion 6.0 is in full swing and 75% of MLB Free Agents remain unsigned, the Sox may be able to get a few more quality players at cheaper than reasonable / fair market prices.

1. A legitimate backup catcher able to catch 60-80 games: Tyler Flowers.
  2. 1-2 Bullpen depth arms for depth (cheap or Minor League invites).
  3. Starting pitcher: Garrett Richards, Carlos Quintin, Adam Wainwright, Rich Hill.

I believe they will replace Eaton with Cespedas in the Summer if/when Eaton sucks ass / gets injured / does stupid shit. As long as Eaton (and Madrigal) remain at the bottom of the order, and Eaton doesn’t crash into Robert or Abreu with his OF bullshit, whatever. I’d still give Engel the majority of starts in RF, he’s better circa 2021 in all aspects.

That said, if cheap enough, they may bring in Rosario (I’d start him in LF and DH Eloy). Would really like if they brought on Bradley Jr., but he may be too expensive for JR, even with collusion pricing. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

The way the team currently looks, IMO they can't afford to not make some further moves.

true, the team that looks like the clear division winner and probably the best team in the AL. (Yankees v Sox is debatable) 

Go be a Twins fan and see how they feel right now. I need to learn how to find that ignore button quick.

• Like 2

One more SP is almost imperative, and I think they'll sign one soon.  As far as another bat, it makes sense to grab one, but I don't think it's as important.  Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they add one.

I'd be disappointed if they do not add a pitcher for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

@VAfan, you omitted the best part of Rick Hahn’s quote:

Perhaps Rick Hahn pulled another Hoosiers quote during his interview of Tony.

In terms of your question, I don’t believe they will spend “Eaton” money ($8M) on any individual player, but may spend $8M - $10M collectively, perhaps even a few million more total through the trade deadline, across 2-3 players (either guaranteed or part of Minor League ST invites)

With the fact that MLB Collusion 6.0 is in full swing and 75% of MLB Free Agents remain unsigned, the Sox may be able to get a few more quality players at cheaper than reasonable / fair market prices.

1. A legitimate backup catcher able to catch 60-80 games: Tyler Flowers.
  2. 1-2 Bullpen depth arms for depth (cheap or Minor League invites).
  3. Starting pitcher: Garrett Richards, Carlos Quintin, Adam Wainwright, Rich Hill.

I believe they will replace Eaton with Cespedas in the Summer if/when Eaton sucks ass / gets injured / does stupid shit. As long as Eaton (and Madrigal) remain at the bottom of the order, and Eaton doesn’t crash into Robert or Abreu with his OF bullshit, whatever. I’d still give Engel the majority of starts in RF, he’s better circa 2021 in all aspects.

That said, if cheap enough, they may bring in Rosario (I’d start him in LF and DH Eloy). Would really like if they brought on Bradley Jr., but he may be too expensive for JR, even with collusion pricing. 

Love the Flowers idea, I don't think Carlos Quentin could help our pitching staff (LOL I know you mean Quintana), but a decent 4 ERA innings eater would help the pen a ton.  One more bat with a good OBP to set up all the sluggers would be great.  If you are top 5 in both hitting and pitching (last year top 5 in runs scored and 6th in team era), you will be there at the end.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Love the Flowers idea, I don't think Carlos Quentin could help our pitching staff (LOL I know you mean Quintana), but a decent 4 ERA innings eater would help the pen a ton.  One more bat with a good OBP to set up all the sluggers would be great.  If you are top 5 in both hitting and pitching (last year top 5 in runs scored and 6th in team era), you will be there at the end.  

Give me Rich Hill for a 1/3 of the cost of Richards. Quintana would be my #1 though. Richards #million

I think Quintana is the probable acquisition to round out the rotation.  However, I do believe that if Bauer gets real...the WS would make him a very nice incentive-based offer.  Since he seems to have great self-esteem...he might just like that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Roster resource as good as any payroll site, I guess.  The have it sitting at $131.5m.  But they also estimate 5 TBD pre arb guys, Kopech, Cease, Heuer, Madrigal, Foster, at $9m.  Based on 2020 examples of same types, that correct pre arb $ total should not be more than $4.5m. Therefore, the actual payroll should currently stand around $127m. 

if I got that right (kind of fuzzy with this payroll stuff),  they better have more to do.  KH, don't tease the $130m-$140m number, if you really meant $125m-$130m.

There are holes to fill and money to do it with.  Do it ASAP for SP.  It's the hottest part of the market right now.  Could be a flurry and who would be left?   Get your man, now!

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

true, the team that looks like the clear division winner and probably the best team in the AL. (Yankees v Sox is debatable) 

Go be a Twins fan and see how they feel right now. I need to learn how to find that ignore button quick.

How many times have we said that before?

Either way, that's irrelevant. The Sox still need a little more depth, another starter and we currently don't necessarily have a DH.

We ARE aiming higher than just making the playoffs, right?

If your knee-jerk reaction is to immediately put someone on ignore simply because of an opinion without even looking for context then you have an issue.

There is little more absurd to me than having your fandom questioned because you criticize elements on the team. It's ridiculous.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think Quintana is the probable acquisition to round out the rotation.  However, I do believe that if Bauer gets real...the WS would make him a very nice incentive-based offer.  Since he seems to have great self-esteem...he might just like that sort of thing.

Yeah I'm starting to think it will be Quintana. But if Bauer gets real what exactly? Real about a one year deal?

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Yeah I'm starting to think it will be Quintana. But if Bauer gets real what exactly? Real about a one year deal?

By gets real I mean no team is going to pay him like a no doubt about it best pitcher in baseball.  He is proven to be one of the best but 35 million per year guaranteed isn't going to happen.  I would think his best guaranteed contract might be something like 25 per for 5 years.  I would think something like 20 million per for 5 years with real bonuses for games pitched, Cy Youngs, wins above15 or whatever the FO hopes to get out of him.  Mainly I don't mind giving a guy like him good money but face it...if he doesn't perform like the best pitcher in baseball he thinks he is...I don't want to be paying him like he is.  Seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't mind betting on himself.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

If your knee-jerk reaction is to immediately put someone on ignore simply because of an opinion without even looking for context then you have an issue.

There is little more absurd to me than having your fandom questioned because you criticize elements on the team. It's ridiculous.

This is not knee-jerk. For over a month now you have just added putrid vitriol to every post. Even when the Sox make moves, you are there to pile on more criticism. The fact is that only a handful of teams this offseason have made their teams better and spent money or made significant trades. The Sox are one of them. Do we need to like all their moves...no. But to constantly harp on things you have no real knowledge of like it's owed to you is just silly. I would love to have seen your reaction to the 2004 offseason. you probably shit on Podsednik and the moves made ad nauseum. There is still time for the roster to be complete...but this board would be a whole lot better if every 5th post wasn't just a total shit on JR, Hahn or payroll. This is a world championship competing team, whether we agree with that or not. 

• Fire 4