the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Burnes for Madrigal + Heuer + Lopez + Kelley

Who says no?  If you say the Brewers, what if you replace Lopez with Stiever?

You don't draft Madrigal that high in the first round just to turn around and trade him.

Whether we like it or not, he's an important aspect of the future Sox competitive window that won't be traded away so easily, same with Vaughn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Flash said:

So rediculous I'll happily wager based upon whatever metrics you want to measure by in 2020 AND 2021.

I don’t think it’s ridiculous to compare Burnes to Giolito. But do you really think their trade costs would be similar at this point in time?

• Thanks 1

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

I don’t think it’s ridiculous to compare Burnes to Giolito. But do you really think their trade costs would be similar at this point in time?

Giolito has better prospect pedigree and pro success outside of 2018. Burnes 2018 was worse than Giolito's, but he didn't qualify. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

You don't draft Madrigal that high in the first round just to turn around and trade him.

Whether we like it or not, he's an important aspect of the future Sox competitive window that won't be traded away so easily, same with Vaughn.

Burnes is a multi-year win-now piece with greater (IMO) ability to impact the game.

Burnes >>>>>>>> the average FA SP in his salary range 

Madrigal vs. $6-8M per FA 2B OTOH?  That gap isn't so wide regardless which side is favored.

Drafting the wrong guy at #4 and then refusing to trade him even if it benefits the team is trumpian/reinsdorfian logic: make a mistake? Then take it to the grave.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Don't really have contract info handy but I'm basing my comment on 'stuff'. Burnes is better than Gio. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

The latter is exactly the proposal I posted from somebody else’s tweet earlier. James said he thinks Milwaukee says no it. It’s a pretty good proposal, though. 

The way I look at the latter proposal is you’d be giving up a top 50 prospect who is high floor but low ceiling (which is an unusual centerpiece), two SP prospects who could quickly enter the bottom of top 100 lists next year, and and a controllable reliever who has already posted great numbers and has closer potential.  To be honest, that’s a lot of talent to give up, even if it’s not an overly sexy package.  The challenge is it doesn’t give the Brewers an immediate replacement for Burnes, which means they’d be taking a step back next year and that seems unlikely unless they were to make additional “retooling” type moves.

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Burnes is a multi-year win-now piece with greater (IMO) ability to impact the game.

Burnes >>>>>>>> the average FA SP in his salary range 

Madrigal vs. $6-8M per FA 2B OTOH?  That gap isn't so wide regardless which side is favored.

Drafting the wrong guy at #4 and then refusing to trade him even if it benefits the team is trumpian/reinsdorfian logic: make a mistake? Then take it to the grave.

Madrigal was drafted for a number of reasons that aren't going to easily be measured statistically, but he's definitely going to be a LaRussa favorite and I'm pretty sure that the Brewers aren't quite ready to move Hiura, either.

How much longer do they have to pay Ryan Braun, btw?

Whenever we make a trade for pitching and trade 2 or 3 guys for one, at least the last twenty years...it always seems to work out in the other team's favor.    Then we end up with an injury and even less pitching depth, and more desperation to find a back-end starter.

Just now, Flash said:

Don't really have contract info handy but I'm basing my comment on 'stuff'. Burnes is better than Gio. 

“What would it take for the Sox to consider trading Giolito? The answer to taht is where the package starts for Burnes”

this statement is completely asinine. it’s not even worth expanding upon because it is so ridiculous. 

And you know who else soxtalk fell in love with last winter because he had “great stuff”? Jon Gray. I haven’t heard his name mentioned much this winter though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

“What would it take for the Sox to consider trading Giolito? The answer to taht is where the package starts for Burnes”

this statement is completely asinine. it’s not even worth expanding upon because it is so ridiculous. 

And you know who else soxtalk fell in love with last winter because he had “great stuff”? Jon Gray. I haven’t heard his name mentioned much this winter though.

Put your money where your mouth is

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Where he was taken in the draft is a sunken cost and therefore irrelevant. The value of the acquisition is the pertinent question.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The bottom line is the Brewers have a more wide open division now with the Cubs and Reds going backwards.   The Pirates dumped Bell and Musgrove, among others.   In fact, nearly every analysis out there has this particular division shedding the most talent since the end of the 2020 season.

Why would they make this move, unless they were HUGE believers in Lopez?   And who are we going to play at 2B?  I hope the suggestion isn't Mendick again.

• Quin locked this topic