the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is his name Ron?

"The Twitter “rumblings” about the White Sox being interested in Brewers’ starting pitchers goes as far back as last season’s trade deadline. Seems like it has stirred back up the past couple of weeks, but there hasn’t been anything reported from any actual member of the media. The rumors seem vague at best. Regarding the Reddit post, here is the Reddit Link so you can decide for yourself. Some of the Reddit commenters mention that same poster incorrectly claimed to have a scoop on an NFL trade last year."

From the Brewers' fan board

Look...obviously I'm a huge Burnes fan. For me, he's the single most impactful pitcher we could possible acquire. He started 2020 in the pen and once he figured it out, he was money...as good or better than DeGrom across most metrics. In my judgement, if we somehow got him, we become odds on favorites to win it all. The comparison to Giolito is to provide perspective on what a potential trade package might look like. Obviously no one is advocating we trade Gio a package headlined by a Madrigal/Lopez/won't interest the Brewers any more than it would the Sox. Trade value aside though, in my opinion Burnes is the better pitcher and will outperform Gio in '21, assuming they both stay healthy. We can take it offline if anyone cares to wager. G'night.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If we work off the assumption that Burnes has similar trade value as Giolito as some posters are suggesting (but I strongly disagree with), you’re looking at a package along the lines of Vaughn, Kopech, Heuer, and Bailey. Sorry but that’s a HARD pass for me.

There’s no way it would cost that much, that is even more than Boston gave the Sox for Chris Sale.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I think you (and the reddit poster who made a similar request) are right here.

Stiever +Bailey + a bit more like you said. 

I think Madrigal stays.

I find it hard to believer they would trade Kelley after convincing him to sign with us, but I have no problem with trading him. 

If that was the deal, a team would have had Burnes months ago.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

There’s no way it would cost that much, that is even more than Boston gave the Sox for Chris Sale.

It's comparable, at least.

Remember, Moncada was one of the top, if not top, prospects in baseball.    Vaughn is up there, but still limited by defense and athleticism.

Kopech was lower rated back then (at the time of the trade), but he's got a world of question marks surrounding him now.

Heuer > Basabe, and Bailey has slightly more value than Victor Diaz, but it's not like he's a sure-fire major leaguer or anything like that.

4 minutes ago, FLsoxfan said:

If you can land this guy and retain Kopech/Cease/Vaughn you do it without looking back. The low IP isn't ideal but he has already shown some MLB success and has a Frontline starter arsenal.

The writing is pretty much on the wall, if you believe what we see on Twitter, that it is going to be a hefty package; however, when trading for young, talented and cost controlled pitching, you pay a premium. 

A rotation of Gio/Lynn/Keuchel/Burnes + Cease/Kopech is about as electric as they come though. Power arms show up in the postseason as well.

I do think they know that Giolito is intent on going to FA or re-signing at market value(unlikely) so they're going to sell a bit of the future to go all in for 2021-23. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I do think they know that Giolito is intent on going to FA or re-signing at market value(unlikely) so they're going to sell a bit of the future to go all in for 2021-23. 

Can’t wait to hear this line 5,000 times the next 3 years

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

IP, ERA, BB/9, K/9, H/9, WHIP, official ranking in Cy Young voting

I want to see 200+IP out of an ace.  And in honesty, it's not fair to expect that out of Burnes, so I don't think 2021 is really the year.  

Maybe in peripherals Burnes can be a bit better in 150IP than Gio in 200+ but that's not a better pitcher.

There it is.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rosenthal seems to be picking a team soon based off his twitter.  Wouldn’t that be something if the Sox get him to replace Heuer.

Really hard to associate rosenthal with anyone other than Ken. Thought you were saying it was picking up steam with Ken and then realized

• Like 2

• Quin locked this topic