the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ten AM is my expiration date for rumors like these

To be fair, the reddit guy said 24-48 hours. It’s going to be quite the meltdown if, hypothetically, people are posting in here yet there’s another thread saying Sox signed Richards or Happ.

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah, this was the most interesting things last night since we have heard we have 8 available.. And Q seemed like the best fit.. hmmm

Almost suggests we weren't in on him, which is surprising. Also makes me wonder if Angels are out on Bauer.

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, the reddit guy said 24-48 hours. It’s going to be quite the meltdown if, hypothetically, people are posting in here yet there’s another thread saying Sox signed Richards or Happ.

Justifiably so, IMO.

With Musgrove and Q now off the table, there's gonna be some tension until, or even if, something goes down.

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Angels maybe out?  Blue Jays just spent a ton on Bauer, likely out... Who is even in?

I don’t think that takes the Angles out...I also think the Giants could be players for Bauer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flash said:

Almost suggests we weren't in on him, which is surprising. Also makes me wonder if Angels are out on Bauer.

And of course the foodies rolled back their claim, saying that the Sox had shifted gears and Q’s price dropped. I tend to not believe the Sox were in on him as much as it was suggested. They could have matched $8M and I bet Q had an interest in returning. Q’s agent would have absolutely checked back in with the Sox at $8M.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, after 2019.

But Semien was looking at a $80-100 million contract had he become a free agent then...now he’s going to get something closer to a Segura or Gregorious for one year and hope for a rebound.

If Anderson wasn’t the most important leader on the team, sure, you at least have to consider every possible option in order to improve.

I don't think any of those guys want a 1 year deal.  Lindor/Correa/Story/Seager/Baez are all free agents after next season.  I don't think Semien and Gregorious would want to join that market.  Obviously I could be wrong, but there seems to be a lot of incentive for those guys to do their absolute best to get at least a couple years.

This is a great rumor to float as if this trade is made it takes Bauer off the table.   If there are talks with Bauer this adds urgency

This trade will add further fuel to the limited contention window as signing Bauer or overpaying for Wheeler keeps the prospects and extends the time the window is open.

I'd love a Stiever/Cease and Madrigal deal then sign Wong (if he is still out there) but I do not see that being a enough...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Angels maybe out?  Blue Jays just spent a ton on Bauer, likely out... Who is even in?

The article (or Tweet...can't remember) I saw about the Mets pursuit of Springer said without uncertainty of the DH, they couldn't figure out a way to play Springer, Conforto, Nimmo, Smith, and Alonso every day. Maybe they could use money they could have used on Springer on Bauer?

Edited by manbearpuig

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

This is a great rumor to float as if this trade is made it takes Bauer off the table.   If there are talks with Bauer this adds urgency

This trade will add further fuel to the limited contention window as signing Bauer or overpaying for Wheeler keeps the prospects and extends the time the window is open.

I'd love a Stiever/Cease and Madrigal deal then sign Wong (if he is still out there) but I do not see that being a enough...

What if... now just what if... all this "8 mil limit" talk is a smokescreen and the Sox are trying quietly for Bauer?

Don't worry, I'm not disillusioned. But it's fun to think about.

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

And of course the foodies rolled back their claim,

Have we ever had an "insider" who can control themselves and not guess?  

Those guys clearly get financial news sometimes, I figured they might work for an outside accounting agency or something.

They all get so thirsty to keep their klout train rolling.  

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But with Woodruff and Burnes both under control for four more years, the Braun contract off the books and the NL Central in disarray, this simply is not the logical type of move the Brewers make unless they’re really high on Cease and/or Kopech.

Sure, it might be two for one (in terms of pitchers), but what are odds Cease or Kopech finish Top 6 in the NL MVP race THIS year?

They (Sox) can’t afford to give up two starters...the Brewers can’t take the risk of just one for one and they already have Urias who could be quite similar to Madrigal at second.

At the very least, you’re talking Kopech OR Cease and Crochet and one additional piece, probably Vaughn.

Then it becomes too big of a risk for the White Sox if anyone gets hurt in the Sox rotation...that’s assuming you had convinced them somehow to take Lopez as the third piece, for example.   Just seems pretty implausible that Hahn or TLR trades 3 of Kopech, Cease, Crochet and Vaughn.

You're going under the assumption the Brewers wouldn't be trading him. I'm going under the assumption they would for whatever reason since that's what the rumor or pretend situation  is , whichever this really is.

I never said that the Sox trade 3 of them . I just said Cease in the Burns trade was possible . You can get the other years of control from Crochet , Collins, Stiever, Mercedes or Gonzalez or whoever.

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Have we ever had an "insider" who can control themselves and not guess?  

Those guys clearly get financial news sometimes, I figured they might work for an outside accounting agency or something.

They all get so thirsty to keep their klout train rolling.  

I’m pretty convinced it’s all the same person. It’s also possible that they very well could get an occasional bit of legitimate info. They obviously inject their own opinion into things though to keep things interesting and the rumor relevant. There’s no way the Sox would allow the amount of info they claim to have leak at the rate it does. I’m just surprised at the amount of people that believe whatever they tweet as gospel. I enjoy the rumors strictly as something to pass the time, but I totally doubt their legitimacy.

• Like 1

@Y2Jimmy0 said yesterday that maybe Madrigal has more value than we thought. This is pure speculation on my part and I'm not trying to put words in James' mouth, but I'm guessing that means he has also heard that the Burnes trade talk is heating up.

This DOES NOT mean the trade is guaranteed to happen, but I truly believe the Sox are deep in trade talks for Burnes right now.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

@Y2Jimmy0 said yesterday that maybe Madrigal has more value than we thought. This is pure speculation on my part and I'm not trying to put words in James' mouth, but I'm guessing that means he has also heard that the Burnes trade talk is heating up.

This DOES NOT mean the trade is guaranteed to happen, but I truly believe the Sox are deep in trade talks for Burnes right now.

I believe Sox fans have underrated him too.

• Quin locked this topic