the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's got to start somewhere. He couldn't last year and neither could any other pitcher. If Cease or Kopech had the kind of season Burnes did we would all be ecstatic that they had finally turned the corner. Burnes did as well as he possibly could last year, He came in 6th in the Cy Young voting. Just because he isn't a veteran doesn't mean he can't continue to do that .

The trip has to start some time. Perhaps we can get in on the ride early and take it to the finish line while he still can be had for projected prospects rather than a boatload of cash that the Sox never pay pitchers. Of course it takes a leap of faith but with 1 great  MLB season (that he had nothing to do with the amount of innings he pitched) , that's still one more than Cease , Kopech and Crochet have had and Crochet never had one in college either.

We aren't in "start somewhere " mode.

The irony of course is that Kopech has a more recent season where he has hit 140 IP, yet no one thinks he is ready for a full seasons worth of innings.

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

If they pull this deal off and Madrigal is a part of it, I hope they sign Profar for 2B. Hard to believe that guy is only 27.

Plus Profar can spell a few games on the outfield (San Diego had him in left semi-regularly).

But it sounds like he and SD had a good relationship so I expect him to return there once they finish making the rest of their moves.

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Did anyone point out yet the conspicuous timing between this thread and the Reddit post? What’s @bmags Reddit handle anyways? Does he like elevators?

Ha, for people who weren’t on at the time the first page probably looks so weird but I thought I was going to get flamed for reading too much into our foodie burners. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The irony of course is that Kopech has a more recent season where he has hit 140 IP, yet no one thinks he is ready for a full seasons worth of innings.

Hmmm, maybe that is because Burnes has pitched at all the last couple years.  And Kopech had a devastating elbow injury he needs to recover from and hasn't pitched at all in over 2 years.  Maybe at least, I could just be making stuff up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m with @fathom that if we trade Madrigal I’d want Wong.

My love for La Stella is for the bat. It’s a great complementary piece. But we have a lot of ground ball pitchers so I don’t want to sacrifice that part of the infield.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Hmmm, maybe that is because Burnes has pitched at all the last couple years.  And Kopech had a devastating elbow injury he needs to recover from and hasn't pitched at all in over 2 years.  Maybe at least, I could just be making stuff up.

So who was the last guy to successfully go from 60 innings to 180 innings (or more if we are looking at the post season)?

Just now, bmags said:

I’m with @fathom that if we trade Madrigal I’d want Wong.

My love for La Stella is for the bat. It’s a great complementary piece. But we have a lot of ground ball pitchers so I don’t want to sacrifice that part of the infield.

I'm shocked!  Somewhere Tommy La Stella just shed a tear I think.

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Plus Profar can spell a few games on the outfield (San Diego had him in left semi-regularly).

But it sounds like he and SD had a good relationship so I expect him to return there once they finish making the rest of their moves.

Yeah it sounds like they are trying to sign him as an outfielder/fill-in infielder. I would think a starting middle infield role would be something he would really want. And he can be Anderson's backup at SS.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ha, for people who weren’t on at the time the first page probably looks so weird but I thought I was going to get flamed for reading too much into our foodie burners. 

I wasn’t on at the time and the strange thing was there had been little rumors about Burnes until last night. You basically called your shot and it became a rumor. Perhaps it’s one of those coincidence ;)

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So who was the last guy to successfully go from 60 innings to 180 innings (or more if we are looking at the post season?

I don't know. And I'm not going to look.  It is a still a horrible comparison.  Kopech has a bunch of other stuff going on with his uncertainty.    

Honestly, I share a lot of your misgivings about Burnes.  But comparing him to Todd Ritchie (cmon man, this one was just ridiculous) and Michael Kopech aren't good comps.  I have also mentioned that how much he has pitched is a concern.  I think it makes it really difficult to value him.  But I think you can also look at the stuff and realize that it is top of the rotation type stuff.  Can he do that over a year?  Who knows.  But maybe that unknown is why you can get him for less talent than say Castillo or Woodruff.  There is always going to be risk involved.   Burnes was dominating last season.  If he does that again, you have no chance of acquiring him at all.  

Really, I don't think this is likely at all, because I don't see any reason for Milwaukee to move him unless they are blown away.  And I don't think the Sox do that with out including Kopech, which we have been told the Sox aren't doing.  

Ok, I did have to check, and I don't know if he was the last guy to do it, but the first that came to mind was Chris Sale. Chris Sale went from 70 IP to 192.  It doesn't fit your exact specifications, but pretty close, and  I think that worked out ok.  And Burnes was primarily a reliever in 2019.  

Edited by turnin' two

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If you're just looking backwards you're never going to see it.  

It's quite literally the point though.  We are talking about dumping the farm system for a guy that is supposed to get us to the playoffs, and we don't even have a high expectation that he will be able to pitch that long?  We already  have pitchers who aren't ready to make the leap, but somehow because this guy has stuff, he will?  This seems like one of those plans with two steps missing the middle.  No one doubts the stuff, but we are here with a guy trained to run the mile, and planning on winning the marathon.

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think counting on Cease or Kopech to duplicate what Burnes already appears to be is a bigger gamble. So whatever that mode is, if you are willing to ride it out this year and next that's ok with me. However the Sox have appeared all off season that they are still looking to find more cost controlled high upside pitching so I would imagine a trade of that nature would bother you depending on who we gave up .

2 years off is a long time to just pick up where you left off. I'd be thrilled with 100 innings from Kopech. And I wouldn't trade him or Cease over Crochet.

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's quite literally the point though.  We are talking about dumping the farm system for a guy that is supposed to get us to the playoffs, and we don't even have a high expectation that he will be able to pitch that long?  We already  have pitchers who aren't ready to make the leap, but somehow because this guy has stuff, he will?  This seems like one of those plans with two steps missing the middle.  No one doubts the stuff, but we are here with a guy trained to run the mile, and planning on winning the marathon.

I don't share either of those expectations.  

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah I'm not really a fan of this move. For what we would have to trade, I'd rather trade for more certainty but that doesn't seem likely. Or just sign Richards or Paxton for one year.

I'm a big fan of adding players to what we have that are all-star level, and not just "man if we just get 4.5 ERA out of them we'll be good". 

This is a tricky trade because it potentially swaps out part of existing talent, but I'm all in on the rumor. This guy is a stud next year and the years after. A rotation of Giolito, Burnes, Lynn, Keuchel, (remaining guy) is a group that will piss on the twins offense and help us win the division rather than not lose it.

And he'd be around for years. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I guess there is no argument to something without roots in reality.

I am not trying to put you down here but you keep bringing up the number of innings the number 4 and 5 guys need to pitch this season.  

The expectation has to be get 200+ innings from the big three and then cobble things together for the next year for Cease and two years for Kopech and Crochet.

Cease is the 4 this is Stiever if he is moved 

Stiever is the 5 this is Burnes if he is traded for

Neither Stiever or Burnes are expected to add to the rotation in the playoffs as there is not enough innings avail be in their arms.  This may be the same thing for Cease as well.

I agree that Richards is in the same boat.

The plan though is to get through the season with te top three and hope there is development for 2022 and beyond with the rest of this group.

I thought Quintana was a prime candidate to add but alas he is gone.

• Quin locked this topic