the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

50 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Kopech's red flags are really piling up. He's coming off TJ surgery, he hasn't thrown a competitive pitch in 30 months, he opted out of last season for reasons (???) and he has a history of immature behavior that includes fighting with teammates and yet for some reason he's considered untradeable.  I can only imagine the reactions if the Sox were looking to trade for a player with his recent history.  

Kopech is fine and it hasn't been "30 months". He worked up to and threw a completely dominant inning and touched 102mph/100mph/101mph just last March in a competitive spring start in AZ. If you don't believe me Passan just stated he's heard nothing but very good things about his work this winter. Kopech is good. 

Edited by macsandz
date
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

6 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Kopech is fine and it hasn't been "30 months". He worked up to and threw a completely dominant inning and touched 102mph/100mph/101mph just last March in a competitive spring start in AZ. If you don't believe me Passan just stated he's heard nothing but very good things about his work this winter. Kopech is good. 

Quit it with your thoughts, pal.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Now that you say this, didn't he also throw in the fall league in 19?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

Kopech is an alpha type.  Yes he made a mistake believing he needed to associate with some Hollywood something-something, but he's still just a kid.  He kills it in the weight room and he believes he can accomplish anything he wants.  He's 100% a keeper for me.  

Not to be "like that" but look at the physical bodies involved here and look at that kind of dedication.  Then look at the "stuff" too.  Kopech is the biggest alpha in the discussion.  

Yes he had TJ.  Lots of pitchers do.  This isn't like the 70s or 80s or something.  He'll be fine.

Personally I hope the Sox try to extend him.  He's exactly the type who, IMO, no matter what he is getting paid, he is going to try to be the best.  And clearly his decision to opt out of last year was the best thing for the Sox.  He needs a full season anyway, and having him give up yet another year of team control just to throw 3/8 of a season of innings while starting and stopping again, would have been a loss.

IMO Kopech is the last prospect in the org you look to trade,  You even trade Vaughn or Crochet before you trade him.

Personally I wonder if some here are just jealous.....

Edited by YourWhatHurts
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Kopech is an alpha type.  Yes he made a mistake believing he needed to associate with some Hollywood something-something, but he's still just a kid.  He kills it in the weight room and he believes he can accomplish anything he wants.  He's 100% a keeper for me.  

Not to be "like that" but look at the physical bodies involved here and look at that kind of dedication.  Then look at the "stuff" too.  Kopech is the biggest alpha in the discussion.  

Yes he had TJ.  Lots of pitchers do.  This isn't like the 70s or 80s or something.  He'll be fine.

Personally I hope the Sox try to extend him.  He's exactly the type who, IMO, no matter what he is getting paid, he is going to try to be the best.  And clearly his decision to opt out of last year was the best thing for the Sox.  He needs a full season anyway, and having him give up yet another year of team control just to throw 3/8 of a season of innings while starting and stopping again, would have been a loss.

IMO Kopech is the last prospect in the org you look to trade,  You even trade Vaughn or Crochet before you trade him.

yeah that's it

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

He's exactly the type who, IMO, no matter what he is getting paid, he is going to try to be the best.  

I was going to list all of the reasons he *isn't* this "type" and actually quite the opposite but he is just so damn popular with our fanbase I don't want the heat.  

To anyone that doesn't follow the team in this matter:  Kopech has signed EVERY autograph and taken EVERY picture since he arrived.  I think there is a correlation between this and the good-will he receives on Sox internet. 

9 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Your what hurts?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

This was a solid post until the last sentence turned it into something else.

Let's face it.  We have been fed the line that the Sox weren't grindy and tough enough last year.  That is what got us TLR and Adam Eaton.  Michael Kopech is a guy who fits right into that club.

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I needed to see this.  Sometimes I wonder if 2021 is going to explode his value to the moon or crash it down into a fiery pit of flaming garbage.  I feel like there’s not much in between.  He is, or he isn’t.  

That’s why I often feel like cashing in on his value now if they can get top value.    Maybe Burnes is a good use of his value. 

But after watching this again, eff it, sink or swim with this beast.  

Edited by Jerksticks

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

I needed to see this.  Sometimes I wonder if 2021 is going to explode his value to the moon or crash it down into a fiery pit of flaming garbage.  I feel like there’s not much in between.  He is, or he isn’t.  

That’s why I often feel like cashing in on his value now if they can get top value.    

But after watching this again, eff it, sink or swim with this beast.  

In all seriousness I guess I go with this too.  If we get a second half out of alpha Kopech and Katz can do ANYTHING with Cease, we are set and spent nothing.  If either is wrong, we probably take another step forward and lose in the LCS.  Dancing with the people you drafted for this very reason.  Just go get the vet you hope to get 60-70 innings out of, find your LH/Utility bat, and let's get to it.  Right?

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let's face it.  We have been fed the line that the Sox weren't grindy and tough enough last year.  That is what got us TLR and Adam Eaton.  Michael Kopech is a guy who fits right into that club.

We talking about the guy that opted out for reasons not to do with covid last year?

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The hate seems more than a little overbearing, especially relative to his upside and his work ethic.  Seriously.  

• Quin locked this topic