the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

7 minutes ago, Dayton83 said:

The food accounts....NCS, Al, Portillo, 

I know who 1 of them is. This guy has access to real info, HOWEVER, when he doesn’t have it he just speculates. This person should probably be tweeting like once or twice a month and they would seem like a huge insider. Instead it gets clouded with speculation, hedging, and just general guessing. Take them with a grain of salt. They’ll get something totally right one day but don’t know what to do with their free time in between so they just post to post. Like that above Al post. It says nothing. 

Oh hello sir who joined 19 hours ago to pump up the food accounts after this site started to doubt them, welcome to Soxtalk 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I don’t think this is correct.

I think it's closer to like $145 but there's so much confusing variation here. Spotrac has sox $8 mill less than I and roster resource have them, but it has their Lux tax at 140, so I don't know whether to pay attention to theirs.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Several teams passed on him in June for other lottery picks, so I would say they  are out there.

So, I don’t post much. The reason being it was the same thing over and over about losing. As I and some others said, it would take 3 years for the fruits to start to bear. Most didn’t care. It probably felt good to whine to get it off their chests. Fine. I let it pass. 3 years later, the Sox are on the verge of being competitive each and every year. 

Now that we’re here, Everybody is playing gm. This has always made me laugh. Almost everyone is an expert. Here is Burnes, who only had success in a 59 inning stint becoming the next stud who would require a truckload of great prospects. And most responses are given as fact. In order to get a TOR player, you need to give up lots of prospects. His stuff is clearly SP1 material. As if the experts were never wrong. Their rankings get reshuffled every year. What does that tell you. Just a couple examples recently is meija and lux. Oh, they are so awesome. They are easily centerpieces of potential trades. There are many others but these come to mind because both played in the majors already. One has been traded numerous times. None of them scream out superstar yet. But hey, after 59 in, Corbin is clearly a stud. Ours are not worth anything. 

If this is how people rate people, I hope the trade doesn’t go through. I have no problem waiting to see if they become potential studs. Most don’t have enough play yet. Give up everyone to get him. I’ve seen too many so called studs blow up into nothing. Our players are clearly at their lowest points so what do we really gain by trading a bunch of them now. Your already saying they are not highly rated by including them in any trade offers for him. That’s how bad teams stay bad by getting rid of prospects before you know what you have. Uh oh, here’s the dreaded tatis jr. traded before we knew what he was. Now these guys before we even know what they are. But hey, burnes is a stud. We know that after 59 innings. 

I get it, it’s fun playing gm. So go ahead, trade the farm. One that sucks anyway. I like where we are at. I definitely want to add more pieces but this is not one of them. Especially at the cost you guys are talking about. I don’t care about the experts. They are mostly wrong anyway. This decade will be fun. I can’t wait for it to begin

13 minutes ago, Dayton83 said:

The food accounts....NCS, Al, Portillo, 

I know who 1 of them is. This guy has access to real info, HOWEVER, when he doesn’t have it he just speculates. This person should probably be tweeting like once or twice a month and they would seem like a huge insider. Instead it gets clouded with speculation, hedging, and just general guessing. Take them with a grain of salt. They’ll get something totally right one day but don’t know what to do with their free time in between so they just post to post. Like that above Al post. It says nothing. 

I can see how this could be true. My guess is that Portillo’s has Sox sources but pretends to have league wide sources. I don’t get that. He has gotten contracts in great detail for the Sox. I think Al’s has a source because there were a bunch of details that he posted about the Liam Hendriks pursuit (4 year contact with an option, first to say they were interested, la Russa, codify etc) and he got the Lynn trade minutes before but I think he’s dumb and doesn’t know how to handle his info and may lose his source. He posts so much stuff and I think it’s because he enjoys the fame. The dude is always retweeting compliments etc. I am not too sure about Cishek tbh but people seem to believe him too.

Edited by Orlando

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Oh hello sir who joined 19 hours ago to pump up the food accounts after this site started to doubt them, welcome to Soxtalk 

hey to be fair someone posted his tweet and they were asking who it was, had nothing to do with food accounts.

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Yeah, I found his tweet and posted it as a joke. He showed up after though.

You are like the character in a horror movie that keeps calling out to evil spirits as a joke and then they show up.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t think he is the foodies. And I actually think the one account he knows is NSC, not Beef or Portillos. 

9 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I don’t think this is correct.

I've looked over the individual numbers at sportstrac several times and it looks correct.  The only thing I haven't been able to find info on is the money deemed "benefits" that seems to be included, but all teams have it at about $15 million included.  The numbers for increases in salaries for 2022 are accurate as well from what I have researched, but I still could have slipped up somewhere:)

White Sox 2021.JPG

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

You are like the character in a horror movie that keeps calling out to evil spirits as a joke and then they show up.

😂😂 I know some posters get upset because a bunch of unconfirmed rumors get posted but I think it’s fun to speculate and when Al’s Beef posted about Lynn and Hendriks it came true. Maybe we get lucky again with Dayton or Reddit guy. I’d rather read speculation about burner accounts than read some these guys crying and arguing all day.

Edited by Orlando

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it's closer to like $145 but there's so much confusing variation here. Spotrac has sox $8 mill less than I and roster resource have them, but it has their Lux tax at 140, so I don't know whether to pay attention to theirs.

The payroll is at about $145, but that's not all that's included in the luxury tax ceiling

5 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

The payroll is at about $145, but that's not all that's included in the luxury tax ceiling

You are right, sorry, I was going off memory.

They do have some threads they could pull, but you are right, a lump contract like that is a bigger obstacle than I realized. Plus I wonder if the new CBA won't tighten things more.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

You are right, sorry, I was going off memory.

They do have some threads they could pull, but you are right, a lump contract like that is a bigger obstacle than I realized. Plus I wonder if the new CBA won't tighten things more.

All good.  I wish they would just keep it simple and call it $195 million and not include the $15.5 million because every team has it included.  Makes people think teams have that much more to spend before they hit the tax.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

13 minutes ago, Orlando said:

😂😂 I know some posters get upset because a bunch of unconfirmed rumors get posted but I think it’s fun to speculate and when Al’s Beef posted about Lynn and Hendriks it came true. Maybe we get lucky again with Dayton or Reddit guy. I’d rather read speculation about burner accounts than read some these guys crying and arguing all day.

The real rumors are the friends we made along the way, thanks to Orlando.

1 hour ago, Wisebri224 said:

Right now the Sox are at $163 million for 40 man roster with dead money, contracts, and benefits.  Next year, the core have another $20 million going on the books with raises from their extensions.  Now, you subtract Lynn and Eaton, that cuts $17 million off, but if you re-sign Lynn and extend Gio you are looking at being right back up in that mid $180's range before you do anything else.  Like I said maybe you can replace Eaton with a kid and Vaughn is ready and you have $15-$20 million to play with, but it depends on development.  Maybe you don't have to extend Lynn because Kopoech and Cease or great but we don't know that right now.

You sure this number isn't our luxury tax number?  The payroll is WAY less than this in reality.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

You sure this number isn't our luxury tax number?  The payroll is WAY less than this in reality.

That's what he's talking about. Someone was throwing out a 3 for 120 deal for Bauer, and he pointed out that it would actually push sox into luxury tax trouble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's the luxury tax number.  Right.  I know the payroll isn't anywhere near that (About 18 million less), but when people keep talking about sign Bauer at 3/$100 or this guys at 3/$36, what I'm saying is with raises coming next year, the Sox can't lock in to these 3 year deals because it's going to lock them up for spending come next offseason because they will be up close to the tax cap.  

7 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

It's the luxury tax number.  Right.  I know the payroll isn't anywhere near that (About 18 million less), but when people keep talking about sign Bauer at 3/$100 or this guys at 3/$36, what I'm saying is with raises coming next year, the Sox can't lock in to these 3 year deals because it's going to lock them up for spending come next offseason because they will be up close to the tax cap.  

Let's keep worrying about next year.........

12 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Sure but there is a fair amount of short term deals that can drop off along that time period too.  Eaton is a one year deal.  Lynn is a one year deal.  Abreu has two years left, as does Dallas.  There are are other guys in their arb phase who could go if needed as well.

it is also at $210 million for this year, and up for renegotiation afterwards.

The Spotrac number on luxury tax is correct. Sox are at $145M for the payroll portion of the luxury tax calculation, and $163M overall, thanks to a number of back loaded contracts and Hendriks weird deal that only counts as 3 years. FWIW they have the 2nd highest luxury tax payroll next year, behind only the Padres.

• Quin locked this topic