the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

I would think a Kopech for Burnes straight up is close.  

Burns established himself a bit last year so he’s ahead of Kopech in that regard.  

Kopech has way better stuff and also comes with I think 2 more years of control.  

Isn’t that close?

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Burns established himself a bit last year so he’s ahead of Kopech in that regard.  

Kopech has way better stuff and also comes with I think 2 more years of control.  

Isn’t that close?

Think you need to add another MLB piece maybe two.

Burnes is a really nice arm that I'd love to have.  But c'mon.  I don't want to trade away major pieces of the future.  Something like Cease, Stiever, Micker and Sheets..OK.  But that's not going to be enough.  I'd guess I'd be OK with moving Kelly just because he's so far away.  

Zero interest in trading any of Kopech, Madrigal, Vaughn, Crochet or major building blocks from MLB club for Burnes.   I'd rather just spend $ on FA SP.....

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Isn’t that close?

You pay a big premium for a guy who has already gotten that big league experience and had a modicum of success. Kopech could come up and get hurt again, or look like 2018 Giolito, then the Brewers have to figure out if they've lost all value or how to revive him.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Burnes is a really nice arm that I'd love to have.  But c'mon.  I don't want to trade away major pieces of the future.  Something like Cease, Stiever, Micker and Sheets..OK.  But that's not going to be enough.  I'd guess I'd be OK with moving Kelly just because he's so far away.  

Zero interest in trading any of Kopech, Madrigal, Vaughn, Crochet or major building blocks from MLB club for Burnes.   I'd rather just spend $ on FA SP.....

While I don't disagree with the latter claim, there is still the likelihood that you don't get to spend enough money to bring in a SP of that quality. So it's Richards at $7 million or a big trade for someone, because the top FA has been ruled out by ownership.

• Like 1

Kopech's red flags are really piling up. He's coming off TJ surgery, he hasn't thrown a competitive pitch in 30 months, he opted out of last season for reasons (???) and he has a history of immature behavior that includes fighting with teammates and yet for some reason he's considered untradeable.  I can only imagine the reactions if the Sox were looking to trade for a player with his recent history.  

• Like 4

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Kopech's red flags are really piling up. He's coming off TJ surgery, he hasn't thrown a competitive pitch in 30 months, he opted out of last season for reasons (???) and he has a history of immature behavior that includes fighting with teammates and yet for some reason he's considered untradeable.  I can only imagine the reactions if the Sox were looking to trade for a player with his recent history.  

Wouldn't you agree he's our highest ceiling starting pitcher?  There's reasons people don't want to trade him despite the bumps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Wouldn't you agree he's our highest ceiling starting pitcher?  There's reasons people don't want to trade him despite the bumps.

I think he has very a little chance to hit that ceiling which isn't nearly as high as it once was.  He's been trending in the wrong direction for far too long.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

With the lack of commitment to ever spend top $$$, Kopech becoming an elite SP is almost a must at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Maybe they make him manager in a year or two.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think he has very a little chance to hit that ceiling which isn't nearly as high as it once was.  He's been trending in the wrong direction for far too long.  

But if we're not able to spend big money to land an ace in free agency, shouldn't we keeping the players who have the ability to become an ace, even if you think the odds of hitting that ceiling are low?

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This is one hell of a blanket post.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

While I don't disagree with the latter claim, there is still the likelihood that you don't get to spend enough money to bring in a SP of that quality. So it's Richards at $7 million or a big trade for someone, because the top FA has been ruled out by ownership.

I would rather have Richards (or a litany of other SP options) than trade any (or multiple) of the 4 I mentioned for Burnes.  

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'd rather package him for a player who has a higher chance to hit his ceiling. 

I don't disagree, as long as that player you are getting has several years of control.  Burnes would be a candidate for that, which is why I would consider trading Kopech for Burnes, as long as I don't have to give up any other major pieces.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don't disagree, as long as that player you are getting has several years of control.  Burnes would be a candidate for that, which is why I would consider trading Kopech for Burnes, as long as I don't have to give up any other major pieces.

Kopech for Burnes doesn't really even make sense for either side.  Seems to me like two teams trading very similar assets with close to the same control.  To me, Kopech has more upside.  Burnes has never thrown more than 115 innings in a season (which he threw in 2018), but last two have been 70 and  60.  Its not like he can be relied on to go out and throw 200 innings in 2021 either.  I also don't see why the Brewers would really want to do that deal as Kopech only has 1 more year of control (could end up being 2, but lets assume 1 cause that's current situation). 

Just doesn't make a ton of sense for either team IMO. 

• Like 1

OK, so let's keep this simple.  A majority of the board wants to overvalue our prospects and ride with them for the next 3 years (that's the window folks....once the payroll heads much over $180, Jerry will tell RH to start selling off) and that's fine, but at least two of our SP have to be ready in the next year or so.  I hope that's true.........but we aren't getting a #3+ starter for Madrigal and two other wild card prospects like Steiver, Thompson, etc.   Go sign Richards, quit screwing around RH, and let's put our team on the floor and see if we can compete.  I think we have an LCS team right now, which is much better than we have had, but next level is going to take money or trades and we know we ain't got money

• Quin locked this topic