the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah I just saw the latest note from one of the foodies.

From what I can tell, it seems they broke down and finally said OK to including Kelley thinking MIL would say OK but now MIL is trying to push for one of the big three as well and the FO is drawing the line there and saying no, so there's a standoff.  

You agree to centerpieces or at least the pool of them to choose from first... like the Sale deal with Moncada, Devers and possibly Benintendi. Going backwards doesn't make much sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

He's unlikely to be a difference maker. Too many options out there with more dominant stuff.   A decade ago, he would have had a place. 

Thanks again.  What would you rather the sox do. Stay pat or trade depending on who they trade obviously?

6 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Thanks again.  What would you rather the sox do. Stay pat or trade depending on who they trade obviously?

Sign Richards, keep looking at veteran catching options (plus defenders) and scouring the bargain bins for our own version of Steve Pearce to add to the DH mix. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Question for people more in the know. What is the opinion on Tyler Johnson?  Who would replace heuer if he is traded?

Right now, Jimmy Cordero is probably the odd man out in the pen assuming Hendriks, Bummer, Marshall, Heuer, Foster, Crochet, Fry, & Lopez are all healthy.  If we move Heuer, Cordero probably gets a job, with Burdi, Johnson, & Lambert all pushing him for that last spot.

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You agree to centerpieces or at least the pool of them to choose from first... like the Sale deal with Moncada, Devers and possibly Benintendi. Going backwards doesn't make much sense. 

Or MIL is just trying to squeeze us for more  at the last second by playing divide and conquer knowing the owner and manager have hijacked control from the FO and are willing to sacrifice the long term for the short term, so they figure they might as well try to benefit from that. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Right now, Jimmy Cordero is probably the odd man out in the pen assuming Hendriks, Bummer, Marshall, Heuer, Foster, Crochet, Fry, & Lopez are all healthy.  If we move Heuer, Cordero probably gets a job, with Burdi, Johnson, & Lambert all pushing him for that last spot.

Hopefully Lambert can come all the way back from his lastest injury.  I really liked what I saw from him last year.   Looked nasty . Small sample size but still. 

Edited by Sox80
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Let's wait and see.   If that was the case why spend 13 million on a closer. Just my two sense. 

Agree.  I don’t think giving Richards $8M is going to be a problem, I think it’s pretty clear at this point that the Sox are ensuring there is no one more impactful available via trade before they lock in a free agent starter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Or MIL is just trying to squeeze us for more  at the last second by playing divide and conquer knowing the owner and manager have hijacked control from the FO and are willing to sacrifice the long term for the short term, so they figure they might as well try to benefit from that. 

Yeah I agree with this. There may be a standoff brewing.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agree.  I don’t think giving Richards $8M is going to be a problem, I think it’s pretty clear at this point that the Sox are ensuring there is no one more impactful available via trade before they lock in a free agent starter.

Problem they already lost Q on the cheap while being strung along by MIL and now RH could get overriden again by JR and his boy, this time with truly catastrophic consequences. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

it doesn't make him immune, but that was also Fegan giving benefit of the doubt, and the more expliciti reason was concern about his role and getting yanked around in his first season back. Is that "covid related" because covid caused the season to be shortened and no minors? I think that's like the curb your enthusiasm episode where the pastor talks about how his son died on 9/11 but it was just in a car crash on the same day. If Kopech's decision was based off of health, everyone would have been more than willing to push that off the record. But they didn't.

Fegan gave him the benefit of the doubt because he deserved the benefit of the doubt. It's quite a stretch to say his absence was not related to Covid when Covid was all around us and affecting every decision we make. Just because he wasn't sick doesn't mean his decision to opt out was not COVID related. Your example of a car crash sucks and I was nice in my 1st response to you but now you are just being ridiculous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Sometimes the best trades are the ones that aren't made.  I'm sure plenty remember the jon Garland for Darin Erstad deal that fell through.  Do the sox win the world series in 05 if that trade happens.  I don't think so.  

Or Jermaine Dye for Homer Bailey...

17 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That doesn't quite seem like an accurate description of how that Milwaukee front office and ownership group works together...it would certainly be worthwhile to look into if the White Sox were willing to overpay, but how often does that happen these days when there's even more of an emphasis or focus on younger, cost-controlled players in their first 3-4 seasons.

Edited by caulfield12

I really wouldn't want to give up Heuer if it's possible.  I don't care so much about general injury concerns for a RP.  He's still really valuable to what we are trying to do.

I also don't think any RP for the Brewers is a huge need unless they have a Hader deal lined up somehow.  And While I do think that a lot of teams probably value Zach Collins a lot higher then Soxtalk seems to, and would like to run him out there and see what happens, I don't think he's a needle-mover in a deal like this.

IMO a more realistic package - and one which doesn't include Heuer - is probably Madrigal + Kelly + Stiever + Dalquist/Thompson.  Personally I'd definitely prefer that package to the one with Heuer and Collins if I am MIL.

I also threw out taking back Avi as an idea.  I bet MIL would like to get out of that contract and dive into the bargain bin for his replacement, and spread that $10M this year around.

Maybe offer Marshall or Foster and offer to take back Avi instead of giving up Heuer.

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Problem they already lost Q on the cheap while being strung along by MIL and now RH could get overriden again by JR and his boy, this time with truly catastrophic consequences. 

I’m guessing the Sox didn’t have much interest in Quintana and have others (Richards likely being one of them) ahead of him.  I really wouldn’t sweat, the Sox aren’t stupid to not add another starter.  I’d be much more worried about them not adding another bat.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m guessing the Sox didn’t have much interest in Quintana and have others (Richards likely being one of them) ahead of him.  I really wouldn’t sweat, the Sox aren’t stupid to not add another starter.  I’d be much more worried about them not adding another bat.

With their bullpen they should have loved the idea of Q.  They don't need him to go 3 times through the order.

I hated the allocation of resources to Hendriks, but whatever, he's here now.  Spending to deepen the bullpen makes sense if you're going to use the advantages you get from it.  They could have always slotted Keuchel between Q and Cease to give the pen a break.  

I'm not sure the Sox have much of a plan here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

With their bullpen they should have loved the idea of Q.  They don't need him to go 3 times through the order.

I hated the allocation of resources to Hendriks, but whatever, he's here now.  Spending to deepen the bullpen makes sense if you're going to use the advantages you get from it.  They could have always slotted Keuchel between Q and Cease to give the pen a break.  

I'm not sure the Sox have much of a plan here.

They have a plan.  My guess is they don't want to leave any stone unturned. 

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

My best guess is that it doesn't make sense for the Brewers to trade one of their best young players for anything less than a couple of the Sox best prospects.  And since the Sox don't want to part with those prospects, a deal doesn't get done.  

But, disclaimer, I'm an idiot.  

This , excluding the you're an idiot.

• Thanks 1

Burnes is young and under control. Sounds like we are making a wild stab at a player we like, with an org that we know well. Does not sound like Brewers are shopping him actively, nor would that make sense.

So we are taking our shot, but faced with paying up or not. Probably have two needs we want to fill with what ownership is giving us $-wise and wish we had more.

• Quin locked this topic