the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

Seeing a lot of "if that's what Burnes will cost, just sign Richards!"

And I agree, I wouldn't be comfortable trading Kopech, Vaughn, or Crochet either. But I think you're really oversimplifying signing Richards, especially given the relatively high AAV SP contracts being handed out lately. If the budget is as tight as we all think, who's to say that the alternative to a Burnes trade isn't closer to the Brett Anderson/Rick Porcello tier?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

And I agree, I wouldn't be comfortable trading Kopech, Vaughn, or Crochet either. But I think you're really oversimplifying signing Richards, especially given the relatively high AAV SP contracts being handed out lately. If the budget is as tight as we all think, who's to say that the alternative to a Burnes trade isn't closer to the Brett Anderson/Rick Porcello tier?

Seriously.  At this point, I rather take my lumps with Reynaldo and use the money to get Nelson Cruz.  Make that offense elite.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Would make sense given their interest in Martin Perez.  I remember seeing Cahill as someone that could fit their needs.  Also I must be crazy because I would easily trade Kopech or Crochet for Burnes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Worrying about your payroll 4+ years out is how you end up with only 6 postseason appearances in 39 years of ownership. Amazing 25 other teams can figure out how to to hand out $100M+ contracts to players and make it work.

Sure, but these are the White Sox, so we always have to be pragmatic/realistic, right?

And we can cite examples like Abreu, Luis Robert, Hendriks, David Robertson, Yasmani Grandal, Adam Dunn...of the team's willingness to spend.

If that fails, "coming close" to signing Torii Hunter, Tanaka, Manny Machado or Alex Gordon, lol.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but these are the White Sox, so we always have to be pragmatic/realistic, right?

And we can cite examples like Abreu, Luis Robert, Hendriks, David Robertson, Yasmani Grandal, Adam Dunn...of the team's willingness to spend.

If that fails, "coming close" to signing Torii Hunter, Tanaka, Manny Machado or Alex Gordon, lol.

To be fair, they traded for Peavy with 3 years and 66M left on his deal, back when 20M contracts were like 30M contracts now. They took a huge risk with Peavy as he had a leg injury when they traded for him and it bit them in the arse because he had a shoulder injury and was never the same.  I'm not sure Giolito will be extended because Peavy and Danks are still fresh in Jerry's mind. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would make sense given their interest in Martin Perez.  I remember seeing Cahill as someone that could fit their needs.  Also I must be crazy because I would easily trade Kopech or Crochet for Burnes.

I probably would trade Crochet+ for him. It would be the ultimate sell-high move, but it would hurt. I definitely wouldn't move Kopech, but as established earlier in the thread, that has nothing to do with Burnes and is just my high opinion of him plus all the great things I've heard about him this offseason

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best of the remaining options, after Odorizzi:

Paxton 1/$10

Taijuan Walker 2/$16

Richards 2/$16

Wainright 1/$6

Porcello 1/$5

Hamels 1/$5

C.Archer 1/$4

Btw, MLB Trade Rumors had Springer to the White Sox, 5/$125...pretty damned close, except the White Sox aspect.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I am in the sign "someone" camp.  There are plenty of starters out there who won't kill your prospect stock.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am in the sign "someone" camp.  There are plenty of starters out there who won't kill your prospect stock.

Yeah, I like the idea of Paxton/Richards/etc. as a bottom of the rotation starter while keeping the farm intact.  Come trade deadline time, the Sox should be in a position to upgrade if necessary.  I just think the cost for Burnes is going to be too high, as it sounds like one of Vaughn/Kopech/Crochet/Kelley would have to be included.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Paxton 1/$10

Taijuan Walker 2/$16

Richards 2/$16

Wainright 1/$6

Porcello 1/$5

Hamels 1/$5

C.Archer 1/$4

Btw, MLB Trade Rumors had Springer to the White Sox, 5/$125...pretty damned close, except the White Sox aspect.

Leake should be on that list.

I'm in the sign Richards camp too.  they have some great starting pitching prospects at Kannapolis this year. Including Vera. Who I think could be a fast riser. Moving through our system quickly. 97 mph fastball. Not to metion Kopech and Kelley. 

Some of these guys have to hit. To replace our older vets we have in the rotation now. Doesn't help if those prospects are traded away. Forced to use FA to fill the holes then.

Edited by smellysox
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Say the cost was Vaughn and the WhiteSox then signed Marcell Ozuna, would we still be pissed that Vaughn was in the deal

What's the Ozuna deal? Also if Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech and Burnes all hit their ceilings, the first 3 will be the better players. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Paxton 1/$10

Taijuan Walker 2/$16

Richards 2/$16

Wainright 1/$6

Porcello 1/$5

Hamels 1/$5

C.Archer 1/$4

Taijuan Walker please.

26 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Say the cost was Vaughn and the WhiteSox then signed Marcell Ozuna, would we still be pissed that Vaughn was in the deal

6 years of Vaughn means you'd have to sign Ozuna for a minimum 4 years to make it worth it. 

a) It doesn't appear the Sox are willing to make a long term financial commitment like that.

b) Ozuna is that much a pending DH as Eloy is.  Having him for 4+ years makes no sense. 

See that's the thing, with the offense we have, and the players we have at each position in on the field, Vaughn would be the 1st guy out of the top prospects I would be willing to trade.  Now I say that, but if I trade him, I am getting back a big time pitcher who has proven himself.  We have tons of offense.  We have 1B and DH covered, and guys like Eloy who are future DH's.  If Vaughn could play RF it would be a different story.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Paxton 1/$10

Taijuan Walker 2/$16

Richards 2/$16

Wainright 1/$6

Porcello 1/$5

Hamels 1/$5

C.Archer 1/$4

Wainwright (solid vet leader) or Archer (reclamation project), get Flowers to back up Yaz, sign your utility guy (LaStella or Profar) and see what you need or don't at the deadline.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

See that's the thing, with the offense we have, and the players we have at each position in on the field, Vaughn would be the 1st guy out of the top prospects I would be willing to trade.  Now I say that, but if I trade him, I am getting back a big time pitcher who has proven himself.  We have tons of offense.  We have 1B and DH covered, and guys like Eloy who are future DH's.  If Vaughn could play RF it would be a different story.

How much longer will 1B realistically be covered though? Jose is great right now but we don’t know how many years he has left. Trading Vaughn for anything less than a legit ace would be a bad move.

• Like 1

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

How much longer will 1B realistically be covered though? Jose is great right now but we don’t know how many years he has left. Trading Vaughn for anything less than a legit ace would be a bad move.

Who we trade Vaughn for is an important consideration for sure, but with who we have on the major league roster, and the kids on the way, 1B/DH is the last place I am worried about.  We are loaded with bats with no place to play.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is why if the Sox were willing to get rid of Vaughn, Blake Snell would have have been the guy to go after using Vaughn as the lead piece.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Quin locked this topic