the old Corbin Burnes thread, we have a new Burnes thread

bmags

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It's WAY too premature to call Burnes a better pitcher than Giolito. However, despite his small sample size, his is stuff is quite elite.

There’s no question he has great stuff but there is more to valuing a starting pitcher than great stuff. For one, durability is a real thing and Giolito is a workhorse while Burnes has been anything but that thus far in his career.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I was once again going to tell everyone to stop getting so excited...this is a pipe dream...and then raBBit had to come comment on the thread. 

A pipe dream is if you acquire a guy like this under his value. If you pay his value you get a great arm but its really going to hurt.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

“Way more control”? He has one extra year of control. He’s the same age as Giolito. What again has he done to warrant a trade package that STARTS with a Giolito type return? Nah, Flash is crazy. And if he’s right, I want no part of a Burnes trade.

I didn't say way more control. There is nothing to get upset about. Where his track record or name value supports it, Corbin Burnes is valued very highly across the league. If he stays healthy, he'll show you very soon.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You hearing anything on a potential deal raBBit?

The Sox pursued Burnes in the summer I know that. 

• Thanks 1

Just in case Stearns also reads the board to make decisions:

No! Not Madrigal! He is Nellie Fox, please take our other terrible prospects like Vaughn! I wouldn’t do Madrigal for Burnes straight up. If Hahn offered that, I know they couldn’t turn it down. Don’t do it Hahn!

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

“Way more control”? He has one extra year of control. He’s the same age as Giolito. What again has he done to warrant a trade package that STARTS with a Giolito type return? Nah, Flash is crazy. And if he’s right, I want no part of a Burnes trade.

In response to an earlier comment, here are 2020 stat lines for 3 pitchers. Guessing you can identify the three.

IP           ERA          BB/9       K/9          WHIP       

59.2       2.11         3.6          13.27       1.02

72.1       3.48         3.48        12.07       1.04

68          2.38         2.38        13.76        0.96   

Just now, bmags said:

Just in case Stearns also reads the board to make decisions:

No! Not Madrigal! He is Nellie Fox, please take our other terrible prospects like Vaughn! I wouldn’t do Madrigal for Burnes straight up. If Hahn offered that, I know they couldn’t turn it down. Don’t do it Hahn!

Agreed. Trading Madrigal would be a coup of epic proportions. Honestly, I think Madrigal, Heuer and Lopez would be highway robbery for the Brewers. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Flash said:

In response to an earlier comment, here are 2020 stat lines for 3 pitchers. Guessing you can identify the three.

IP           ERA          BB/9       K/9          WHIP       

59.2       2.11         3.6          13.27       1.02

72.1       3.48         3.48        12.07       1.04

68          2.38         2.38        13.76        0.96   

Aren’t you the same poster that advocated for that mlb trade simulator site? What’s your site telling you in terms of trade value of Giolito vs Burnes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Agreed. Trading Madrigal would be a coup of epic proportions. Honestly, I think Madrigal, Heuer and Lopez would be highway robbery for the Brewers. 

I know the Sox didn’t share data but sources tell me Madrigal routinely hit 425 foot homers in Schaumburg and that he’s added 25 pounds of muscle....and grown two inches

• Haha 2

Burnes is under control for FOUR more years, not through 2025...fwiw.

This ONLY makes sense if they have a feeling that Giolito isn't going to sign a long-term extension.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40202

Another key aspect is they're going to need something more major league ready to go with Lopez (because he'll become increasingly expensive in arbitration), and that's only Kopech or Crochet.

When you're only paying Burnes in six digits for 2021, the price is going to be steep steep steep and Stearns is one of the smartest GM's in baseball.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Burnes is under control for FOUR more years, not through 2025...fwiw.

This ONLY makes sense if they have a feeling that Giolito isn't going to sign a long-term extension.

Gio knows his age and earning potential. Enjoy him while he's here, and wish him the best against everyone other than the Sox afterwards. If they can get this done while keeping Kopech/Crochet/Vaughn idgaf about who else(prospect wise)  goes in the deal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Orlando said:

I’ll post the Reddit thread. The dude says will be announced in 24-48 hours. Doesn’t know the package. Would do a ban bet and he’s super confident that’s why he didn’t use a burner lol like Reddit accounts aren’t anonymous already. But it’s still interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/whitesox/comments/l0vjb6/corbin_burnes_to_white_sox_heard_it_here_first/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Is his name Ron?

• Haha 1

When it's said they are controlled through 2025 it means right after the 2024 season ends is considered 2025 seasons. So if say controllered till 2022 would be after this current season starts and ends with world series the off season be considered 2022. Corbin would be 2025 so he's a free agent as soon as the 2024 season ends. Would be 4 yrs of control if you got him now

Edited by aeichhor

I am excited about the prospects of Burnes, this kid is legit (I am the idiot who traded him away in a dynasty league last year). At the same time I'm afraid what the cost might be. I think it's Kopech + Kelley as headliners at the minimum, if not Kopech + Madrigal (e.g. Castillo level price).

If you can land this guy and retain Kopech/Cease/Vaughn you do it without looking back. The low IP isn't ideal but he has already shown some MLB success and has a Frontline starter arsenal.

The writing is pretty much on the wall, if you believe what we see on Twitter, that it is going to be a hefty package; however, when trading for young, talented and cost controlled pitching, you pay a premium. 

A rotation of Gio/Lynn/Keuchel/Burnes + Cease/Kopech is about as electric as they come though. Power arms show up in the postseason as well.

• Quin locked this topic