George Springer to Toronto. 6 years/150 million

Buehrle>Wood

There's no arguing whether or not it was in the budget. He didn't sign with the White Sox so it obviously wasn't in the budget.

You're not going to win dollar per WAR championships playing at the top of the market. It is my belief that the White Sox currently  have a three year window to win a World Series and I'm a lot less worried about what happens after that.

23 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

There's no arguing whether or not it was in the budget. He didn't sign with the White Sox so it obviously wasn't in the budget.

You're not going to win dollar per WAR championships playing at the top of the market. It is my belief that the White Sox currently  have a three year window to win a World Series and I'm a lot less worried about what happens after that.

Certainly if you consider that Giolito would (possibly/likely) be gone after 2023.

Also, Tim Anderson will be at $12.5 million for 2023 (option) and $14 million for 2024.

6 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

This contract is DUMB. Say what you will about the Sox being cheap...but at least they are not reckless. This is higher than he should have gotten in a normal off-season. Those last 2-3 years will be bad.

Totally agree.

Dumb contract and Reinsdorf is cheap.

It's his MO to leave his once-in-a-decade contending teams several difference makers short.

And may I remind everyone these other ownership groups are trying to win as well. They lied down and played dead as part of the 2005 Mambo but that was one time event - clearly.

Edited by GradMc

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

Totally agree.

Dumb contract and Reinsdorf is cheap.

It's his MO to leave his once-in-a-decade contending teams several difference makers short.

And may I remind everyone these other ownership groups are trying to win as well. They lied down and played dead as part of the 2005 Mambo but that was one time event - clearly.

You don't need to remind us anymore, it's fine

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Blue Jays are now above the White Sox in projected WAR per FG after this and the Yates signing.  While mostly meaningless, it would be nice to regain second position in the AL 😊

That kinda surprises me with that pitching staff

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Because we love a team with a cheap owner and it influences the way we think about payroll. It's not a bad contract if you're serious about winning.

But is is bad. Please show a 5+ year deal in the 31-36 age range that has aged well (without steroids)? He will be immense value the first 2 years of the contract...and then the rest will turn to atrocious. He also is also a cheater. The sox need payroll flexibility to keep pitching, and once they found out his exact asks...they moved on. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

But is is bad. Please show a 5+ year deal in the 31-36 age range that has aged well (without steroids)? He will be immense value the first 2 years of the contract...and then the rest will turn to atrocious. He also is also a cheater. The sox need payroll flexibility to keep pitching, and once they found out his exact asks...they moved on. 

It's a matter of philosophy. A deal like Springer's increases your chances of winning within the next 1-3 years but greatly decreases your chances after that. The Cubs went this route and it worked out for them because they got their WS in 2016, but they are going to suffer for it for a few years now. Given the fluky nature of the postseason, I like the approach of trying to avoid albatross contracts in order to have a longer window. Your odds aren't as high for winning in any single year, but you keep your odds up for a longer period of time.

• Like 1