Mlb Networks top 10 at each position

Whisox05

On 2/3/2021 at 12:25 PM, BrianAnderson said:

I think the TV channels know and understandably make these lists controversial. I believe that TA was their controversy as well as Story. They want people to talk about the list to drive attention to their lists. 

That said my list would be: (and my list is predicated of who I'd most want starting this year only for the White Sox as SS:

1 - Lindor

2 - Bogaerts

3 - Tim Anderson

4 - Tatis Jr. (he's almost in TA category from a few years ago that i keep waiting for his underlying stats to catch up (ala baez), but think he's just that good)

5 - Turner

6 - Story

7 - Bichette

8 - Gleyber

9 - Correa

10 - Baez

Next up - Wander Franco/Seager/Semien

I share your view.  Does that make me smart?🙂

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Tatis might be the best player in baseball, so yeah he isn't the 4th best SS. Not 1 GM would take Bogaerts over him for the next 3 years.

I mean, that's fine that your opinion differs from mine. That's how opinions work. I also literally said FOR THIS YEAR ONLY, not 3 like you. I also caveated that I am probably ranking him too low like I have with Anderson in the past but that some of that statcast stuff makes me question if he can continue at this clip. 

If it was for 3 years I'd have Wander Franco in my top 5 as well as Bichette with Story probably barely making the top 10. Tatis would likely be #1 in a 3 year list for me too. This is an ANNUAL list released by mlbnetwork meant to be the top at the position currently. So yeah, i don't think you read very well

5 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I mean, that's fine that your opinion differs from mine. That's how opinions work. I also literally said FOR THIS YEAR ONLY, not 3 like you. I also caveated that I am probably ranking him too low like I have with Anderson in the past but that some of that statcast stuff makes me question if he can continue at this clip. 

If it was for 3 years I'd have Wander Franco in my top 5 as well as Bichette with Story probably barely making the top 10. Tatis would likely be #1 in a 3 year list for me too. This is an ANNUAL list released by mlbnetwork meant to be the top at the position currently. So yeah, i don't think you read very well

Well I'd love to hear why you think Bogaerts will have a better 2021 than Tatis. This ought to be good

16 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Tim falls in the rankings because of the errors. He makes a lot plays that other SS's cannot, but nationally, folks look at errors as a sign of a bad defensive player. 

If you watch Tim Anderson and Derek Jeter actually play day after day...Tim will be the Gold Glove winner IMO.

16 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Well I'd love to hear why you think Bogaerts will have a better 2021 than Tatis. This ought to be good

Are you demanding the same of the MLB Network of why they chose Story over Tatis? Or why they have Bogaerts ranked neck and neck with Tatis? I don't owe you anything - opinions can't be wrong. You personally can disagree with them, but they can't be wrong. 

But just to please you, Xander is age 27, in his prime, with experience, and has proven himself over many years. Tatis has 1.5 years under his belt and susceptible to the curve ball. I think he'll be every bit as good, if not better than Xander, however for one year I'd go with Xander on this team, as constructed for the Sox. There's something to be said of a guy who has been there and won a world series, been on winning teams, and has the experience and how they'd fit in on a sox team. This is a guy who had 52 doubles, 35 homers and drove in 117 in 2019 ... and you think the questioning of putting him above a guy like tatis is so set in stone. He's put up 30 war in his career. This is not like I"m comparing kevin newman w tatis. this is me comparing two top 5 SS's in the game for a hypothetical one year stint on a sox team. 

Tatis has done this for a shorter time and whiffed at above a 50% and 40% clip on breaking balls in his first two years. That concerns me. Not enough to outweigh the rest of his game which is why hes still ranked very high and why i said over a three year period I'd probably want him number 1 overall. Tatis is a fastball hitter at this point in his career - no doubt he'll develop, but at this point he hasn't done as well against sliders, changeups and curves. 

Year
Pitch Type
Team
RV/100
Run Value
Pitches
%
PA
BA
SLG
wOBA
Whiff%
K%
PutAway %
xBA
xSLG
xwOBA
Hard Hit %
2019 Splitter 135.svg -7.9 -1 11 0.8 2 .000 .000 .000 100.0 100.0 40.0     .000  
2019 Changeup 135.svg -2.3 -3 149 10.7 48 .200 .400 .266 41.9 39.6 33.3 .154 .329 .215 33.3
2020 Slider 135.svg -1.1 -2 165 16.7 43 .211 .342 .290 48.1 30.2 23.2 .223 .363 .292 52.0
2020 Changeup 135.svg -0.8 -1 133 13.5 38 .226 .355 .333 34.3 21.1 18.6 .266 .564 .400 56.5

Is that enough to justify my ranking your grace? This ought to be good. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

lmao @ ranking TA ahead of Tatis Jr. That's hilarious @BrianAnderson. 

1. Tatis Jr.
2. Lindor
3. Bogaerts
4. Trevor Story
5. Trea Turner
6. Tim Anderson
7. Bo Bichette
8. Corey Seager
9. Javier Baez
10. Gleyber 
11. Correa

At least you put out your own rankings unlike some other people who just criticize. For one year, with this Sox team, yes, I'd stick with Anderson. He's an established leader on this team & think that value plus his play over the past few years justifies him as a viable pick over tatis. they are pretty neck and neck at this exact juncture in their career and could go either way - but intangibles and him having rapport with this team already lead the nod over tatis in my list. 

18 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Tim falls in the rankings because of the errors. He makes a lot plays that other SS's cannot, but nationally, folks look at errors as a sign of a bad defensive player. 

No he mostly falls because the projection models aren't kind to him. He's a very unique player. High BABIP with low walk rate which these models don't expect him to maintain . But he keeps doing it.

54 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

At least you put out your own rankings unlike some other people who just criticize. For one year, with this Sox team, yes, I'd stick with Anderson. He's an established leader on this team & think that value plus his play over the past few years justifies him as a viable pick over tatis. they are pretty neck and neck at this exact juncture in their career and could go either way - but intangibles and him having rapport with this team already lead the nod over tatis in my list. 

Maybe I didn't read the whole thread correctly, but this list is based on best short stops in the game of baseball for 2021, not the best for the CWS? If you are making the argument Tatis Jr vs. Tim Anderson for the CWS in 2021, yeah, maybe you can argue that (I still pick Tatis Jr, but it's really much closer). 

Yes, that was the MLB network list criteria - I laid mine out with the caveat of who I'd want on the White Sox for this year only. If it was any team ya, I can totally see Tatis above Bogaerts and Anderson. Like if was the Royals or Tigers give me Tatis all day with the edge.

That said my list would be: (and my list is predicated of who I'd most want starting this year only for the White Sox as SS:

1 - Lindor

2 - Bogaerts

3 - Tim Anderson

4 - Tatis Jr. (he's almost in TA category from a few years ago that i keep waiting for his underlying stats to catch up (ala baez), but think he's just that good)

5 - Turner

6 - Story

7 - Bichette

On 2/11/2021 at 7:16 PM, SonofaRoache said:

So far we have

Robert 

Moncada

Lynn

Gio

Hendricks

Jimenez

Grandal

Add Abreu and Anderson. That should be it. 1st, Short, 3rd, Catcher, 2 OF's ,2 starting pitchers and a reliever. ( of the top 100.) Not too shabby.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/3/2021 at 11:25 AM, BrianAnderson said:

I think the TV channels know and understandably make these lists controversial. I believe that TA was their controversy as well as Story. They want people to talk about the list to drive attention to their lists. 

1 - Lindor

2 - Bogaerts

3 - Tim Anderson

5 - Turner

6 - Story

7 - Bichette

8 - Gleyber

9 - Correa

10 - Baez

Next up - Wander Franco/Seager/Semien

In the spirit of the FA pitching thread being brought back up .... led me down the rabbit hole on some old threads/responses .... I'd like to change my list haha.. and credit the guy who called me out on Tatis. I was wrong. 

1 - tatis - by a wide, wide margin. 

2 - turner

3 - xander

4 - correa

5 - bichette 

6 - anderson

7 - lindor

8 - seager

9 - semien

10 - crawford

11 - story? i doubt he's as bad as he is this year, but hard to get behind him right now.