Michael Brantley to the ASTROS 2 years 32 mill per Nightengale

Sleepy Harold

4 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

So he's just going to fall off a cliff at 34?  Could happen but I don't know that and neither do you.  The contract puts him right around 25th or so in the league for total value which is pretty close to in line with where his value has been as a player for the last 6 years.  People have had it set in their mind that some of these big names were going to get a lot less than they're worth because most teams don't want to spend money but the Springer deal is far from a bad one.

No idea how you can think that this is not a bad contract.

Springer is 31 years old. This contract puts him on the Jays until he is 37 (!!!!). 

Springer has had some superstar years, but at 31 years old his days of CF are coming to an end quickly. He's been somewhat injury prone as well. Looking at the contract, IDK the exact details but if we take it as 25 million AAV... that puts him as the third most expensive outfielder in the game according to : https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/salary/outfield/ for 2021...

...Right next to Jason Heyward, Justin Upton, Will Myers, McCutchen, Pollock, Fowler, Cain... you get the idea... other bad contracts.

This is an obvious bad contract.

But it is also obvious that the Blue Jays HAVE to sign players at terrible contracts to bring them to Toronto... so I get it and give them respect.

But this is going to be BAD and fast. 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

No idea how you can think that this is not a bad contract.

Springer is 31 years old. This contract puts him on the Jays until he is 37 (!!!!). 

Springer has had some superstar years, but at 31 years old his days of CF are coming to an end quickly. He's been somewhat injury prone as well. Looking at the contract, IDK the exact details but if we take it as 25 million AAV... that puts him as the third most expensive outfielder in the game according to : https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/salary/outfield/ for 2021...

...Right next to Jason Heyward, Justin Upton, Will Myers, McCutchen, Pollock, Fowler, Cain... you get the idea... other bad contracts.

This is an obvious bad contract.

But it is also obvious that the Blue Jays HAVE to sign players at terrible contracts to bring them to Toronto... so I get it and give them respect.

But this is going to be BAD and fast. 

I totally agree^

You do have quite a bit of Sox twitter who will moan about how the Sox are cheap because they did not sign *insert big money FA* to a gigantic contract that is likely to go sideways. 

We all want to Sox to spend to improve the club, even overpay at times if necessary, but 6 year deals to players on the wrong side of 30 are how you kill a club. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

Anyone see the Portillos tweet that was deleted about the saga?  Wondering what it was.

It was just a tweet saying "wow." He deleted it because there wasn't any context, and people were assuming something White Sox was happening.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I totally agree^

You do have quite a bit of Sox twitter who will moan about how the Sox are cheap because they did not sign *insert big money FA* to a gigantic contract that is likely to go sideways. 

We all want to Sox to spend to improve the club, even overpay at times if necessary, but 6 year deals to players on the wrong side of 30 are how you kill a club. 

Yup. Big difference between free agents like Harper/Machado (who were absolutely worth a massive overpay) and a 31 year old Springer. 

Is Springer at 25 million for 6 years really that much better than Eaton for 7 mil/1 year?

I strongly prefer Eaton over Springer in this situation... and I hated the Eaton signing. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Yes because you want your baseball team to win. Owners who want to win spend money for good players. Cheap owners do not.

Yes all that money the Phillies spent the last two years got them that much closer to the Marlins and now they have to drop another $100M+ on a free agent catcher.

What has all the FA signings gotten the Angels? 

Let's wait until Joc or Bauer sign and then we can determine how cheap the Sox are as most of these deals are terrible deals before the ink dries.  

• Like 1