The Wainwright to the Cards Thread

Chicago White Sox

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

So Wainwright, Yadi, and what other former La Russa players are out there for us? Trevor Rosenthal debuted for the Cardinals 1 year after Tony left, but he was drafted by them and certainly interacted with Tony. There are 3 holes filled right there.

Good god I’ll be glad when he’s gone. 

So they sign Wainwright for $7 mil and Eaton for $8 mil - I’d rather have paid James McCann $15 mil then give a penny to either of those guys. This organization tries to get cute and fails constantly. Signing Wainwright only justifies many fan’s rationale about the Hendriks situation. When they had so many other needs but instead spent $13 mil on a closer, we had no choice but to just be fine with it because if they didn’t land Hendriks how else they would have distributed that money. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

So they sign Wainwright for $7 mil and Eaton for $8 mil - I’d rather have paid James McCann $15 mil then give a penny to either of those guys. This organization tries to get cute and fails constantly. Signing Wainwright only justifies many fan’s rationale about the Hendriks situation. When they had so many other needs but instead spent $13 mil on a closer, we had no choice but to just be fine with it because if they didn’t land Hendriks how else they would have distributed that money. 

Hendriks is much more important to winning a world series than a #4 starter they need for half a season. Unless Kopech gets traded...they want him as part of the team. Everything changed when they got Katz. He believes in Cease clearly.

9 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

So Wainwright, Yadi, and what other former La Russa players are out there for us? Trevor Rosenthal debuted for the Cardinals 1 year after Tony left, but he was drafted by them and certainly interacted with Tony. There are 3 holes filled right there.

Thats what she said

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Nelson Cruz is worth it, let's be real there. At least he is truly one of the best hitters in baseball. Wainwright has been blah for years now. 

The problem I have with Cruz is at his age, the train can derail at any time. Plus he costs 8 figures which they should spend on pitching, plus they have one of the games best prospects who is blocked at 1B by the MVP, so probably needs to DH a year or 2. Its like deciding to buy a spare car

instead of fixing a broken heating system with winter coming.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The problem I have with Cruz is at his age, the train can derail at any time. Plus he costs 8 figures which they should spend on pitching, plus they have one of the games best prospects who is blocked at 1B by the MVP, so probably needs to DH a year or 2. Its like deciding to buy a spare car

instead of renovating a kitchen in dire need. 

Cruz would only be here for one year and if he sucks we have Vaughn to call up. It's not that big of a risk if that money isn't being used on a quality pitcher SP anyway. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you go on baseball savant guess who Wainwright's #1 comp is  for 2020.........you guessed it, 2019 Gio Gonzalez. 

Actually you used the wrong thing. If you click on player similarity under the picture of the player, that is the more accurate similarity which is Aaron Civale of the Indians and Chris Bassitt of the A's. These similarity are based on speed and movement of pitches . What you were looking at was batted ball profile.

16 hours ago, fathom said:

Besides the short season, Wainwright also got to feast on a lot of awful offenses in 2020.  With that said, I’m fine with him as a #5

Remember August 15th when the Cards were coming off the long Covid outbreak vacation and swept the Sox in a DH ? Wainwright pitched 5 innings 3 hits 1 run . We were disgusted that something like that could happen. Out of all the boppers we had in the lineup that day Mendick got 2 of the 3 hits off him.

The Sox went 2-8 against Cleveland last year. Wainwright pitched a complete game against the Indians 8/30/20. 9 innings 4 hits 2 ER 9K.

He was remarkable consistent in 2020 only gave up 4 ER once in his 10 starts .The other 9 it was either 1 ,2 or 3 ER. Even with bad offenses a pitcher not on his game will get lit up. 65 IP in 10 starts meant he was going deep into games also. Not too shabby for a geezer.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Remember August 15th when the Cards were coming off the long Covid outbreak vacation and swept the Sox in a DH ? Wainwright pitched 5 innings 3 hits 1 run . We were disgusted that something like that could happen. Out of all the boppers we had in the lineup that day Mendick got 2 of the 3 hits off him.

The Sox went 2-8 against Cleveland last year. Wainwright pitched a complete game against the Indians 8/30/20. 9 innings 4 hits 2 ER 9K.

He was remarkable consistent in 2020 only gave up 4 ER once in his 10 starts .The other 9 it was either 1 ,2 or 3 ER. Even with bad offenses a pitcher not on his game will get lit up. 65 IP in 10 starts meant he was going deep into games also. Not too shabby for a geezer.

First, I thought the research you did on his last 30 starts was sensational.  I would argue the Sox were in a huge slump when they faced Wainwright and we know Indians offense was bad. With all that said, I won’t mind him in the 5th spot if it happens. Sox are currently one injury to the big 3 away from a huge mess.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, fathom said:

First, I thought the research you did on his last 30 starts was sensational.  I would argue the Sox were in a huge slump when they faced Wainwright and we know Indians offense was bad. With all that said, I won’t mind him in the 5th spot if it happens. Sox are currently one injury to the big 3 away from a huge mess.

Thank you . It bothers me that no one puts in any work to find those things.  I see Wainwright and his age and a good season in 2020 so I dig deeper. A quick google search and I quickly found those things in a Sports Illustrates article. It really took no time at all. They just see Jack Parkman misusing Baseball Savant and throwing out a comp to 2019 Gio Gonzales and people reacting to it moreso than how the guy actually pitched.

I was never actively saying I'd prefer Wainwright. Anyone who pays any attention knows I've just been chatting up Taijuan Walker.

My focus here is always to provide facts and educate. At this point putting all the names in a hat and picking one out you are just as likely to get a surprising good season or a terrible season and the older you are doesn't help. It's why I prefer Walker over the rest mainly because he's the youngest and his strong recovery from TJ surgery. Age and possible upside was the reason I defended  McCann and Mazara.  Age and declining stats also was the reason I never wanted EE or LaRoche . Old age and good stats I will defend like Wainwright and Cruz.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

For 5 million he’s a better value than some of these guys. If they cost the same, I would have rather had other guys but for half of Richards, that’s not bad.

I'd much rather have had Quintana for 8 than Wainwright for 5. That's just Jerry pinching pennies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

For 5 million he’s a better value than some of these guys. If they cost the same, I would have rather had other guys but for half of Richards, that’s not bad.

I think it's just the frustration in reinforcing we probably aren't spending any money on anything of significance. 

• bmags locked this topic