The Wainwright to the Cards Thread

Chicago White Sox

13 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

+

2) This move makes so much sense for this god damn backwards organization ran by JR and Tony. 

I would be 100% OK with this move as a 6th starter/depth role. Teams need 6 legit starters this year (and probably going forward). 

Get Wainwright and Bauer. 

I'd be ok with his signing, too.  But I don't understand why StL wouldn't sign him for this $.  They publicly stated they want him back, He said he wanst to finish there, too.  His goodwill value alone is substantial.  If they don't match it, why?  Do they know something that makes them feel that he'd not be worth $5-6m?  it doesn't smell right. 

37 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

I'd be ok with his signing, too.  But I don't understand why StL wouldn't sign him for this $.  They publicly stated they want him back, He said he wanst to finish there, too.  His goodwill value alone is substantial.  If they don't match it, why?  Do they know something that makes them feel that he'd not be worth $5-6m?  it doesn't smell right. 

Who knows. Jon Lester wanted to finish his career off with the Cubs but they didn't want him. Ended up signing with the Nats for $5 million.

I think TLR is a big driving factor here

4 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Who knows. Jon Lester wanted to finish his career off with the Cubs but they didn't want him. Ended up signing with the Nats for $5 million.

I think TLR is a big driving factor here

Not the same scenario.  StL claims they want him back and have proven it by making him an offer, albeit an unknown $.  Lester didn't play his entire career with Cubs. 15 seasons for Wainwright in Stl carries a heck of a lot of good will.   

13 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Not the same scenario.  StL claims they want him back and have proven it by making him an offer, albeit an unknown $.  Lester didn't play his entire career with Cubs. 15 seasons for Wainwright in Stl carries a heck of a lot of good will.   

So I missed this and just read that Stl offer was 1 yr under $5m.  Wow!  So if Sox offer is $5-6, StL would not match?  Maybe so.  Pretty cheap of them, if true.  If I was a Cardinal fan, I'd be pretty ticked off if that happened.   

The white sox are very likely to be in the ALCS and potentially the world series. The Cardinals have zero shot. That alone is reason...and with his ability to still be average or better... A #5 spot in the rotation is a nice landing spot for him. This move is fine. If he sucks he is being replaced by Kopech anyways...but if he is healthy...he won't suck.

2 hours ago, Rounding_Third said:

Wainwright does as much charitable work as any player in baseball from helping minor leaguers during the pandemic to his involvement in water filtration systems in underdeveloped nations . And this is just a short way of explaining it. He does so much that it's extremely heartwarming.

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Wainwright + Molina or Flowers + Cruz = Let’s go.

One can wish and hope.

Good luck k with that. There is no question,  unless there are a lot of injuries,  the White Sox are going to be a good, fun team in 2021. But face it , this offseaon, just like most others. We are the Wiley Coyote of fanbases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We went from wanting Bauer -> Snell -> Darvish -> Musgrove -> Burnes -> Quintana -> Richards -> to now being cool with Adam f**king Wainwright..... c’mon guys this is a joke, the fact that Jerry has a budget in place for a team contending for a World Series is disgusting 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m sure this will be the time the incredibly advanced in age free agent recreates their production instead of falling off a cliff.

Would you be happy with Wainright at the 5 spot if he put up 115+ IP, a ERA+ above 114, and a 1.2 WHIP?

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Good luck k with that. There is no question,  unless there are a lot of injuries,  the White Sox are going to be a good, fun team in 2021. But face it , this offseaon, just like most others. We are the Wiley Coyote of fanbases.

Yea, not likely but the best thing to pine for at this point. Other than say a big trade that shakes things up.

5 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

We went from wanting Bauer -> Snell -> Darvish -> Musgrove -> Burnes -> Quintana -> Richards -> to now being cool with Adam f**king Wainwright..... c’mon guys this is a joke, the fact that Jerry has a budget in place for a team contending for a World Series is disgusting 

It happens all the time. Sox may sign Machado. Maybe Harper. Maybe both. Or Jon Jay and Kelvin Herrera. That is why we are the Wiley Coyote. We fall for it every time 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I am sure everyone would be, but if it was considered likely by the industry,  he would be out of the White Sox price range.

Top comparable for Wainright in his year 39 season is none other than Bartolo “I hit a homer off James Shields” Colon. 

Colon’s numbers that year were pretty damned good.

Haven’t looked into any steamers or fan graphs or bwar projects on Wainright. 

Sincerely,

-The Eternal Optimist 

• bmags locked this topic