The Wainwright to the Cards Thread

Chicago White Sox

42 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Wainright is garbage

35 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Last year he was decent, but he was pretty bad the 4 season prior. A bit disappointing seeing what we could have signed Q for. 

Even though he is going to be 40 and therefore not a strong option I'd like to point out that he hasn't been garbage for a while.

Over the final 20 starts of 2019 he went 10–5 with a 3.81 ERA, including a  10-start run from late July to mid-September when he went 6–2 with a 2.43 ERA. In the playoffs against the Braves  he went 7 ⅔ innings, no runs, four hits, two walks, eight strikeouts, 120 pitches.

He was better than decent in 2020. 10 starts 65.2 innings pitched . That's 6 1/2 innings per start. Good ERA ,great WHIP. Wainwright is also a very solid human being.

Wainwright and Richards seem the 2 likeliest choices based of former relationships with Sox personnel . Richards may disappear to the Red Sox.

Mike Leake!  bMag suggested we take a look at Leake a while back.  I've been very interested since looking into him.  For our needs, he would be perfect for holding down the fort until Kopech is ready.  He's a small guy especially for a pitcher but has done the job adequately and wouldn't cost a bundle.

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Budget. 

Maybe if he accepts like 6m instead of the 8m allegedly set aside for the position, then La Stella might be more amenable to a 1 year deal if he was getting 9m instead of 7m. 

This but again his last 30 starts between 2019 and 2020 have been very good. He doesn't have to be a horse and go 6 1/2 innings . 5 is probably good if it allows his arm more rest. How many guys last year threw 65.2 innings in only 10 starts with an ERA in the low 3's ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This but again his last 30 starts between 2019 and 2020 have been very good. He doesn't have to be a horse and go 6 1/2 innings . 5 is probably good if it allows his arm more rest. How many guys last year threw 65.2 innings in only 10 starts with an ERA in the low 3's ?

I'll answer my own question at least among NL pitchers. My cutoff point for a low 3's ERA is 3.25 .

Kyle Hendricks,

Yu Darvish,

Brandon Woodruff,

Trevor Bauer,

Zac Gallen,

Aaron Nola,

Zack Wheeler,

Luis Castillo,

Zach Davies,

Dinelson Dimet ,

Jake DeGrom.

If I lower the IP limit to 59 then Corbin Burnes makes the list.

Notice anything about that list ? Some of the best pitchers in the NL and Wainwright was on it and that good run was a carry over from his last 20 starts of 2019.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'll answer my own question at least among NL pitchers. My cutoff point for a low 3's ERA is 3.25 .Kyle Hendricks, Yu Darvish, Brandon Woodruff, Trevor Bauer, Zac Gallen, Aaron Nola, Zack Wheeler, Luis Castillo, Zach Davies,Dinelson Dimet , Jake DeGrom. If I lower the IP limit to 59 then Corbin Burnes makes the list.

Notice anything about that list ? Some of the best pitchers in the NL and Wainwright was on it and that good run was a carry over from his last 20 starts of 2019.

I notice that he is a shit ton older than everybody on that list

• Thanks 2

Just now, ron883 said:

Yes he is and I said his age didn't make him a strong option already. The reply basically was to those who said he was garbage . You said he was decent so I wanted to point out it was better than decent and garbage and it's been for longer than just 2020.

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Yep and all are unavailable, almost untouchable via trade, or making more than we have to offer.  Who in Daddy Jerry’s minimal budget would be better? I still like Archer bounce back 

• bmags locked this topic