The Wainwright to the Cards Thread

Chicago White Sox

37 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I notice that he is a shit ton older than everybody on that list

I imagine that is why he wont be commanding a long term contract worth a lot of money.

But he very well could outperform his contract next year and that is really what matters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I imagine that is why he wont be commanding a long term contract worth a lot of money.

But he very well could outperform his contract next year and that is really what matters.

He also could very well be DFA'd by June and the Sox will have to scramble to find a 4th starter. I'd look closer to his 2016-2019 full season stats than a shortened 2020.

12 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He also could very well be DFA'd by June and the Sox will have to scramble to find a 4th starter. I'd look closer to his 2016-2019 full season stats than a shortened 2020.

All we should go by is his last 30 starts when he was healthy and damn good. The Sox aren't looking for a stud here unless they think they can trade for one. You are not getting anyone very healthy or reliable and recent history should mean more than anything .The Sox are looking for depth and among the candidates everyone has issues.This board will not be pleased with just about anyone the Sox sign in the $5-8M range. The guys with the best stats from last year also have the highest ZIPS projections for 2021 and that includes Wainwright.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All we should go by is his last 30 starts when he was healthy and damn good. The Sox aren't looking for a stud here unless they think they can trade for one. You are not getting anyone very healthy or reliable and recent history should mean more than anything .The Sox are looking for depth and among the candidates everyone has issues.This board will not be pleased with just about anyone the Sox sign in the $5-8M range. The guys with the best stats from last year also have the highest ZIPS projections for 2021 and that includes Wainwright.

So then get a guy that might actually be able to get through the season. Wainwright is going to be 39 and his advanced metrics are incredibly mediocre. In 2020, his K/9 dropped, his HR/9 increased, his GB% was the lowest of his career, and his xFIP continues to hover over 4.0 (below average). I'd argue the only reason he has a deceptively low ERA is because he faced such crap offenses. Plus, we're talking about him moving from Busch to GRF. Go to Fangraphs and look at any of the projections on his page - they all show pretty significant regression. I'd just stay away. If they are going to go bargain bin shopping, then I'd prefer that they go out and get someone that isn't going to retire in 2022 and has potential to catch lightning in a bottle.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

So then get a guy that might actually be able to get through the season. Wainwright is going to be 39 and his advanced metrics are incredibly mediocre. In 2020, his K/9 dropped, his HR/9 increased, his GB% was the lowest of his career, and his xFIP continues to hover over 4.0 (below average). I'd argue the only reason he has a deceptively low ERA is because he faced such crap offenses. Plus, we're talking about him moving from Busch to GRF. Go to Fangraphs and look at any of the projections on his page - they all show pretty significant regression. I'd just stay away. If they are going to go bargain bin shopping, then I'd prefer that they go out and get someone that isn't going to retire in 2022 and has potential to catch lightning in a bottle.

Who would that be? Luck as much as anything will determine if anyone in the Sox price range will catch lightning in a bottle . Last year it was Taijuan Walker $2M signing.

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Who would that be? Luck as much as anything will determine if anyone in the Sox price range will catch lightning in a bottle . Last year it was Taijuan Walker $2M signing.

Given Walker's age and past pedigree, it doesn't surprise me at all he had a good year. Unfortunately, the lowest tier available blows. I'd just assume to attempt to trade at this point. Over Wainwright, I guess if I had to pick, I'd rather go with any one (or two) of these guys: Trevor Cahill (worked with Katz), Julio Teheran, Matt Shoemaker, Mike Leake, Trevor Williams, or Mike Foltynewicz (if healthy). The situation sucks, thanks to JR's cheap ass.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That isn't really the equation though.  It is more like 2/6 of a season of Richards and 4/6 of ReyLo and whoever else versus a season of Wainwright.

Lol...so Richards who literally was healthy in a season over 2/6 in normal length suddenly is all but certain to get injured over a slightly lesser duration and somehow Kopech has imploded into nothingness making Lopez our only option.  Meanwhile 39 year old Wainwright is somehow a lock to stay healthy for a full season.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...so Richards who literally was healthy in a season over 2/6 in normal length suddenly is all but certain to get injured over a slightly lesser duration and somehow Kopech has imploded into nothingness making Lopez our only option.  Meanwhile 39 year old Wainwright is somehow a lock to stay healthy for a full season.

Get back to me when Richards actually throws more than 80 innings in a season. 37 year old Adam Wainwright did it.

28 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

29 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

30 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

31 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

32 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

But we should pencil 33 year old Garrett Richards in for a season.

No that makes perfect sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He has made 41 starts total over the last 5 years how can anyone complain about any move if they think he will make it into June?

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Get back to me when Richards actually throws more than 80 innings in a season. 37 year old Adam Wainwright did it.

28 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

29 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

30 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

31 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

32 year old Garrett Richards didn’t do it.

But we should pencil 33 year old Garrett Richards in for a season.

No that makes perfect sense.

Never once have I said we should pencil him in for a full season, but meanwhile you’ve already declared he won’t make it past 2/6 of the season (despite him pitching more than that last year and being completely healthy).

I've been thinking this for weeks. Yes, it has everything to do with who the manager is. But Wainwright and Molina as a combo, for one year, make a lot more sense than you'd think on the surface for this team.

It allows Collins and/or Mercedes to get at bats at DH early on. The organization needs to figure out if they can hit, or not.

You can probably get both guys for a total of $10 million, which stays within this Godforsaken budget.

Wainwright ain't pretty. But he's a veteran. And he's a winner. Having that around for a year has a lot of benefits to a young, emerging Kopech, Cease, Crochet, etc. Wainwright also takes the ball. That's what we are looking for until Kopech is ready. 10-12 starts. Anything beyond that is gravy.

7 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

So Wainwright, Yadi, and what other former La Russa players are out there for us? Trevor Rosenthal debuted for the Cardinals 1 year after Tony left, but he was drafted by them and certainly interacted with Tony. There are 3 holes filled right there.

Wong

25 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

So Wainwright, Yadi, and what other former La Russa players are out there for us? Trevor Rosenthal debuted for the Cardinals 1 year after Tony left, but he was drafted by them and certainly interacted with Tony. There are 3 holes filled right there.

I'm sure the Angels would eat some ca$h to allow LaRussa to reunite with his buddy Pujols. The Sox can also pencil in Jon Jay and Edwin Jackson for a second White Sox tour of duty, and also work a trade for Matt Carpenter.

Opening Day Lineup: 2B Madrigal CF Eaton 3B Carpenter 1B Pujols Molina LF Wong RF Jay DH Grandal SS Mendick SP Wainright

Tony's getting the band back together. He's on a Mission from God!

Tony with Albert at the "I Have A Scheme" Rally.

56f1f5494ed20.image.jpg

• bmags locked this topic