Gordon Beckham retires

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's his dog's name. NVM someone beat me to it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, palehose1 said:

You wonder if the Sox rushed his development, just another example of a top prospect / first round pick often doesn't live up to the hype. He had a nice rookie season but never built upon it. 

I don't think so.  I think he was overwhelmed mentally at the MLB level.  His swing got noticeably worse after his rookie year.  Whatever he was doing in the offseason to tinker with it didn't work. When he got under pressure in season he would always revert back to that slow inside out swing that was good for a million popups to 2B.

I don't think any amount of time in the minors would have solved his biggest issue, and that was just that he didn't have a great natural swing and wasn't able to ever implement the necessary changes to shorten it.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think so.  I think he was overwhelmed mentally at the MLB level.  His swing got noticeably worse after his rookie year.  Whatever he was doing in the offseason to tinker with it didn't work. When he got under pressure in season he would always revert back to that slow inside out swing that was good for a million popups to 2B.

I don't think any amount of time in the minors would have solved his biggest issue, and that was just that he didn't have a great natural swing and wasn't able to ever implement the necessary changes to shorten it.

He just had a hole in his swing. He could never catch up with high heat in and never pulled inside pitches well. Once pitchers found that out half way through his rookie season, he was screwed. Like you said, he tried to adjust and tinker, but it never worked.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He just had a hole in his swing. He could never catch up with high heat in and never pulled inside pitches well. Once pitchers found that out half way through his rookie season, he was screwed. Like you said, he tried to adjust and tinker, but it never worked.

He also had aluminum bat power. A lot of his homers in college became outs or doubles with a wooden bat.

• 1 month later...

I thought of Beckham today when Carson Fulmer and Nicky Delmonico entered the game for the Reds. Baseball is one, cruel game. It ain't easy to play the game of baseball on the MLB level. Can't believe Beckham's career wound up being so blah. At least he made some good money and gets the pension.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

A few billion people on the planet and he was never better than about the 20th best 2nd baseman. 

Lol. Isn't that insane? Based on the human population he was so amazingly great, yet retired feeling like he didn't really reach his potential. 

• Like 1