Fegan Nuggets: Collins, Sheets, Burdi, Lambert

bmags

just an excellent piece:

https://theathletic.com/2345601/2021/01/26/four-white-sox-prospects-are-heading-to-spring-training-to-make-their-mark/

I will just give some bits:

- Collins sure sounds like he expects the backup

- Sheets has dropped to 225 in an effort to be an outfielder, and also has tried to start selling for power in favorable counts to increase his slugging potential

- Burdi is happy to have a real offseason to work on stuff, where he had a familiar issue that sox pitchers have had - his stuff was cutting and not dropping, leading to worse numbers than you'd think for his stuff. Katz tried to get him in sync.

- Lambert is back to form and blamed his injury on the start-stop-start-stop last year. I honestly completely forgot just had a strain and wasn't under the knife again. I had just internalized that he was out for a year when it happened. Happy to have him back, he was fantastic in July's "spring" training.

Burdi/Lambert could be interesting bullpens. I'd love if Lambert could try as a starter, which he seems like he is hoping he can try. That will be some nice depth. I believe in Lambert more than a Flores, for sure.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

just an excellent piece:

https://theathletic.com/2345601/2021/01/26/four-white-sox-prospects-are-heading-to-spring-training-to-make-their-mark/

- Sheets has dropped to 225 in an effort to be an outfielder, and also has tried to start selling for power in favorable counts to increase his slugging potential

- Burdi is happy to have a real offseason to work on stuff, where he had a familiar issue that sox pitchers have had - his stuff was cutting and not dropping, leading to worse numbers than you'd think for his stuff. Katz tried to get him in sync.

- Lambert is back to form and blamed his injury on the start-stop-start-stop last year. I honestly completely forgot just had a strain and wasn't under the knife again. I had just internalized that he was out for a year when it happened. Happy to have him back, he was fantastic in July's "spring" training.

Burdi/Lambert could be interesting bullpens. I'd love if Lambert could try as a starter, which he seems like he is hoping he can try. That will be some nice depth. I believe in Lambert more than a Flores, for sure.

Hahaha!  Wow.  You just blew my mind.  I thought he had TJ.  Hahah.  That is great news.  Even if it is old news that needed correction in my brain.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

just an excellent piece:

Sheets is SLOW.  Maybe the drop in weight will help.  Without notable improvement in his speed there's no chance he can play the outfield.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Sheets is SLOW.  Maybe the drop in weight will help.  Without notable improvement in his speed there's no chance he can play the outfield.

Yes, that was discussed. We'll see. It talked about how it may result in reduced power but he already had been light there.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Nice to see Lambert and Burdi healthy and able to work out.  Need.  Moar.  Pitching.  Depth.

The other guy to look out for for me would be Kade McClure when pitchers and catchers report.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bmags said:

just an excellent piece:

That’s good stuff. Thank you

10 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Not sure why posters say the minor league talent is thin. I count 25 guys with a good chance.

We'll know more mid season. A lot of interesting guys are 18-19 and we haven't seen in over a year.

10 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Not sure why posters say the minor league talent is thin. I count 25 guys with a good chance.

It’s thin from the point of impact players. They have plenty of guys that could/should reach the majors, but there really isn’t anyone with the same level projection or expectations as a Kopech, Vaughn, Kelley type of player. It’s a whole lot of role players, which absolutely has its value, but you need to have some high risk/reward guys too, and this system lacks that at the lower levels. It’s why the Padres were able to make all those trades and the Sox can’t find any takers without giving up players in their top 5 ranking.

• Like 1

On 26.1.2021 at 5:13 PM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't know why he didn't try this switch two years ago.

I'm not sure that is a good idea. Imo the best thing for him is to become the best most powerful hitter he can be and then hope to get traded.

Sheets was hurt tremendously by losing last milb season to covid and now he is almost 25 and the time is ticking.

Had sheets hit .280 with 25 bombs in AAA last year he could probably be a starting 1b in a rebuilding team after a trade.

But losing 2020 he now is an almost 25 yo 1b/DH type who hasn't played in a year and also hasn't played above AA. That he wasn't invited to the complex didn't help either but sox simply had too many 1b/DH types stacked there already (Collins, yermin, vaughn, even burger) so there was no room for him.

Sheets really needs a huge season with 25-30 homers to bring himself back to the radar.

But I'm not sure it makes sense to try becoming a below average LF, I think the smarter thing would have been to just try to develope as much power as possible and then get traded.

Obviously if the weight loss doesn't hurt his power that is fine but if he hits 17 homers or less this year he is a non prospect.

But overall the situation just sucks for him, he did everything right and finally developed some power in 2019 and then everything fell apart with covid.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, Perfect Vision said:

He has to answer two other questions before they give him a shot:  Does he hit left-handed and is he breathing? 

On 1/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, Perfect Vision said:

Sheets isn’t a MLB player. Happy if he proves me wrong. If we could get a low minor leaguer with upside I would deal him.