No HOF Players Elected in 2021

South Side Hit Men

Schilling told the HOF to take him off next year's ballot, he'll wait for the Veterans Committee to elect him.

The three which would have been on my ballot if I had one (Bonds, Clemens and Schilling) were the top three vote recipients. Not sure how they are kept out, yet other Steroids users are already in, and others like Ortiz and ARod will likely be elected. Glad to see Vizquel's votes decline, he is not a HOFer.

Buehrle, Hunter and Hudson the only three first year ballot names to make it to year two.

15 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

How Jeff Kent isn't in the hall baffles me. Same with Fred McGriff

McGriff will get in on a committee for sure. The writers absolutely blew it with him.

Agree about Kent. Teams wanted him. He won an MVP. Most homers as a 2B. What else does he have to do?

Edited by flavum

2 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

How Jeff Kent isn't in the hall baffles me. Same with Fred McGriff

I'd say Kent has a much more valid argument than McGriff.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_1B.shtml

54.8 is the average 1B JAWS, lowered by several selections who never should have been inducted (Kelly 24.3; Bottomley 32.0; Chance 40.6; Cepeda 42.3; Perez 45.3; Beckley 45.8).

McGriff ranks 31st in JAWS with 44.3. Players ranked ahead of McGriff not in the HOF include the following players:

• A. Pujols (2)
  • M. Cabrera (10)
  • R. Palmeiro (12)
  • J. Votto (14)
  • T. Helton (15)
  • M. McGwire (17)
  • K. Hernandez (19)
  • J. Olerud (23)
  • J. Giambi (25)
  • W. Clark (26)
  • D. Ortiz (29)
  • M. Teixeira (30)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_2B.shtml

Jeff Kent is 21st in JAWS. Cano and Grich, Utley and Whitaker have better arguments. Kinsler and Pedroia are also ranked ahead of Kent. I wouldn't vote for any of the three, but based on the current watered down standards of the HOF, and several much weaker inductees, Kent does have an argument.

This is why I am firmly against the slippery slope. With guys like Harold Baines inducted, you can make a case for hundreds of players who were clearly better.

11 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Posnanski has been running a series on the top 100 players not in the Hall, and is ranking them in order he would add them.

He lists Minnie Minoso #1.  Great story on his career and HOF credentials:

The Hall of Fame Outsiders: No. 1, Minnie Miñoso – The Athletic

I think Minnie would be on quite a few SoxTalk ballots (if they let us vote)....A great ballplayer, wonderful man, and tremendous White Sox ambassador.

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Schilling is a really interesting case. His regular season numbers are good, his postseason resume is legendary, and since his retirement he is a total dick in life. The letter he wrote today probably keeps him from ever getting in at this point

I think the character thing in the HOF description is being misused at this point.  I think it is intended to block cheaters on the field and abusive players, not people who are general jagoffs.  I suspect there are lots of those in the HOF already.  Using the HOF as a judgement of someone's entire life isn't realistic.  And could very well change after enshrinement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

The one about his wife in chemotherapy?

His Facebook post. It's very interesting. But he basically calls out the media in a very big way and asks to be taken off the ballot. He brings up some very legit points...but it also seems on par with his polarizing style they disliked in the first place

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The hall of fame is an entertainment venue that celebrates the game of baseball.  I don't see any compelling reason to honor anyone who disrespected the game. 

Did Ty Cobb “respect” the game with his style of play?  It’s a very slippery slope, especially when you start incorporating off-the-field issues or political stances.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Did Ty Cobb “respect” the game with his style of play?  It’s a very slippery slope, especially when you start incorporating off-the-field issues or political stances.

It is. But continuing to repeat mistakes isn't the answer either. 

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s a book about Ty Cobb that says much of what we believe or have heard about him is not true - the racism, sharpening spikes, etc. I didn’t read it, but I heard the author on a podcast years ago. Google “Ty Cobb myths.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Schilling told the HOF to take him off next year's ballot, he'll wait for the Veterans Committee to elect him.

The three which would have been on my ballot if I had one (Bonds, Clemens and Schilling) were the top three vote recipients. Not sure how they are kept out, yet other Steroids users are already in, and others like Ortiz and ARod will likely be elected. Glad to see Vizquel's votes decline, he is not a HOFer.

Buehrle, Hunter and Hudson the only three first year ballot names to make it to year two.

I am going to test the swear filter here, but what a b****.  Good lord, get over yourself.  Much better players than you didn't make the early ballots.  Pull up your bootstraps and deal with it.

47 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I think the character thing in the HOF description is being misused at this point.  I think it is intended to block cheaters on the field and abusive players, not people who are general jagoffs.  I suspect there are lots of those in the HOF already.  Using the HOF as a judgement of someone's entire life isn't realistic.  And could very well change after enshrinement.

So agree with this. Lawrence Taylor was a shitbag and got elected to the pro football hof. He got elected cause of his play on the field. Baseball needs to get off the high horse