Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap

I think even the people complaining the most think this is a playoff team.  They are just annoyed that we aren't taking the next step and spending more to become a legit World Series contender.  But remember that we still have the trade deadline.  At that point, we will know more about what we have in Cease and Kopech.  If we need to make a move at that point to give us another top of the rotation arm, we can do it at the deadline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Snopek said:

One can enjoy the team while still being upset at their refusal to go from a “very damn good” baseball team to a great one, especially when presented with countless opportunities to do so. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Who's to say they can't be a "great one" as currently constructed? 

6 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Yeah, I think the fact that, as of this moment, the division is weaker than they originally expected has changed their spending expectations.  So now just coast into playoffs, get the added revenue of a couple of home playoff games, then fingers crossed for more easy money.   

Right. The FO version of playing down to your opponent. Not exactly the approach of a championship organization.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Nobody but need so much to go right this year to really win a World Series, rather than leave it to chance why not spend that extra $20 mil to assure yourself that this is a team to beat

Edited by Rey21
  • Thanks 1

It's definitely a playoff team.  But are they ready to take on the Yankees, Dodgers, and Padres even at this point?  If all of our prospects live up to the hype, absolutely.  How many teams though say "Hey, we have to hit 5 for 5 on our prospect parlay for this to work" and it does?  Even though I am a believer that once you get into the dance anything can happen, I would rather have a better "dancer" going into it.  I also know this is a business but it is sad when you have a team that had revenues that averaged $241 million per year in the last decade vs a payroll of $102 million (average) how people could be a bit disturbed.  I know there are other expenses, but when you get your ballpark in a sweetheart deal, I really can't see how you are strapped for cash in making probably northward of $50 million a year for the last decade with a garbage team.  I'm still going to games if I can but I'm also not going to quietly just say it's a business then be ashamed when we are told the revenues are never enough...........please

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think even the people complaining the most think this is a playoff team.  They are just annoyed that we aren't taking the next step and spending more to become a legit World Series contender.  But remember that we still have the trade deadline.  At that point, we will know more about what we have in Cease and Kopech.  If we need to make a move at that point to give us another top of the rotation arm, we can do it at the deadline.

Yes. You can't have it both ways; you can't say, "JR is cheap and won't round us put with depth and a desperately needed SP" but also say, "You guys need to stop being so negative because this is a playoff caliber team."

It's bizarre. Anyone who watches baseball regularly knows that at some point things are going to happen and you have to be prepared. If we have Cease and Lopez as our 4th and 5th starter on opening day, I don't know that anything else can make someone understand this. 

Edited by RagahRagah

I don’t know if anyone is necessarily saying that. Maybe some are, but I think it’s obvious to most they have a nucleus that can be great. But why stop there? Even if you’re great, you can always improve more. Now we seemingly have to hope for and count on good health and significant strides from younger players to reach that greatness, which is just playing with fire.

3 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Nobody but need so much to go right this year to really win a World Series, rather than leave it to chance why not spend that extra $20 mil to assure yourself that this is a team to beat

Every team needs a lot to go right in order to win a World Series, no matter how much you spend.    

Just now, Snopek said:

Right. The FO version of playing down to your opponent. Not exactly the approach of a championship organization.

Not at all!   Their plan is to be reactionary, if needed.  Not to say "we're the king of the hill, come knock us off".   This is a very good team but with several depth flaws.  If those flaws get exposed by regression, injuries, covid, etc, their current plan is to have unproven or flawed-proven young players come to the rescue.  And, at the same time, keep the promised spending in the bank while others keep building.   They call this "all in".       

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Every team needs a lot to go right in order to win a World Series, no matter how much you spend.    

100% agree, but there’s something to be said about putting the team in the best position to succeed. (Especially since the window is supposedly finally open.) Do you feel the FO has done that? I certainly don’t.

Edited by Snopek
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Why not shoot for the best when they have the money to spend

I'm with you on this 100%.  I wish we had that kind of owner, but we know that's never happening here.   It hasn't for the 40 years he's owned it.    I've learned to no longer get upset over it since being a Sox fan is my own choosing.   

• Like 1

I'm with you on this 100%.  I wish we had that kind of owner, but we know that's never happening here.   It hasn't for the 40 years he's owned it.    I've learned to no longer get upset over it since being a Sox fan is my own choosing.   

I guess I’m still struggling to get to that point, but I respect that you have.

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

Yeah, we know. For me, its all about the lie that this year would be different.  But I guess that's really old news too.  They made a special effort to convince us this time.  Somehow, I fell for it again.

12 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Yes. You can't have it both ways; you can't say, "JR is cheap and won't round us put with depth and a desperately needed SP" but also say, "You guys need to stop being so negative because this is a playoff caliber team."

You absolutely can.  Particularly if you comprehend that there is a vast range of potential opinion that exists between "Jerry Good!" and "Jerry Bad Man"

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

You absolutely can.  Particularly if you comprehend that there is a vast range of potential opinion that exists between "Jerry Good!" and "Jerry Bad Man"

I don't see how that train of thought works. 

If we are ignoring a team's FUNDAMENTAL needs to even get through a season and you can admit it, then how can you fault someone for being pessimistic about that team's chances for a playoff run, let alone winning the World Series?

Mind-boggling. And isn't trashing JR "negative?" Negativity being something some of us are constantly being criticized for?

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

100% agree, but there’s something to be said about putting the team in the best position to succeed. (Especially since the window is supposedly finally open.) Do you feel the FO has done that? I certainly don’t.

If I were to put a grade on it and considering the Pandemic, I'd give this offseason a B- . 

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

If I were to put a grade on it and considering the Pandemic, I'd give this offseason a B- . 

I'd give it a C+.  Hendricks is huge and Lynn is a big one year get.. But Giving Dunning for 1 year still doesn't sit right with me.  Eaton, I am fine with. C+! Sign two veteran SP (cheap) and I'll bump it to a B-. Hang on to all our prospects, I'll give it a B.  Extend Giolito B+.    

i honestly don't feel the approach the sox have taken this offseason is entirely unreasonable. they've spent more money than most, addressed some needs and generally been active. right now i feel there are so many unknowns both financially (what is this season going to look like) and from a personnel perspective (e.g. what do we really have in guys like kopech, cease, madrigal, etc. and what does our farm really look like once these guys hopefully have a more regular minor league season). from that perspective, i don't think some degree of caution is unwarranted.

that all said, jerry deserves a ton of criticism. his lack of desire to "go for it" and be bold financially has always been there, but it's frustrating to see after all these years of cutting payroll and promising tomorrow. even worse, at a minimum he's generally stayed out of on-field considerations, but hiring tlr marks a change and not a good one. i can take a cheap owner. most teams have them. i can't take a cheap owner who knows little about baseball and wants to meddle in the on-field product.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Their projected DH has no experience above A ball and their #4 and #5 starters have no track record of success at the MLB level. Counting on those guys to be key contributors right away is a terrible plan. Just stop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Their projected DH has no experience above A ball and their #4 and #5 starters have no track record of success at the MLB level. Counting on those guys to be key contributors right away is a terrible plan. Just stop.

Do people really not believe these things (not to mention further lack of depth) can easily crush the hopes of this being a playoff team?

Sorry, but no, I don't see this as being a sure fire playoff team. Not even close. 

• Love 1