Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

Do people really not believe these things (not to mention further lack of depth) can easily crush the hopes of this being a playoff team?

Sorry, but no, I don't see this as being a sure fire playoff team. Not even close. 

This is a likely playoff team. However, there are some clear risks to that statement, which could have been mitigated and haven't been.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Their projected DH has no experience above A ball and their #4 and #5 starters have no track record of success at the MLB level. Counting on those guys to be key contributors right away is a terrible plan. Just stop.

If you don't let the young players play and develop, then you've failed on this rebuild. 

I've said this numerous times, If Cease and/or Kopech don't develop into stud TOR guys, then we are truly fucked.  

I'm holding on to hope that both those guys will contribute big at some point this season. 

• Like 2

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

If you don't let the young players play and develop, then you've failed on this rebuild. 

I've said this numerous times, If Cease and/or Kopech don't develop into stud TOR guys, then we are truly fucked.  

I'm holding on to hope that both those guys will contribute big at some point this season. 

They are ready to compete.  The rebuild is over.  You now put the best team on the field to win for the next 3-5 years.  If both Kopech and Cease take that next step, great god bless.  If they don't we don't have the bullets to overcome that in-house.  Kopech is coming back from TJ and Cease wasn't exactly the picture of consistency.  If you want to know how far down the rabbit hole this goes, at what point in that critical playoff game was Cease used?  They need to be there for the long run but to count on them this year for inning after inning is a bit presumptuous.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I don’t think that Cease will ever be a TOR arm. He might be a decent #3 but not more than that. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Sox had a chance to absolutely stack their roster this offseason.  If you are a Twins fan, you should breathe a sigh of relief the Sox didn’t get Springer or Bauer.

Depending on what the Twins do, it's still going to be a close race. If they bring back Odorizzi and Cruz they're right there with the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I'm still standing by I think this window is 3 years.  When the payroll nears $200 million Jerry will tell RH to sell off parts.  Next year with raises and extensions for Gio and Lynn (if done) we are adding another $50 million to the payroll??  This hope that this is a 5-6 year window I don't think is realistic

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Why take the risk then when again ALL IT COSTS IS MONEY to sign Bauer/Ozuna/Springer it still allows the young kids to develop 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I don’t think that Cease will ever be a TOR arm. He might be a decent #3 but not more than that. 

He could be, he might be.  But for a team with playoff and championship possibilities do you gamble with 2 spots in your rotation.  

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

He could be, he might be.  But for a team with playoff and championship possibilities do you gamble with 2 spots in your rotation.  

It's a fine line. I would have liked one more solid starter. I would have made a package around Cease and Madrigal for a controllable starter, but that is just me. 

I'm not a huge fan of either guy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

They have allowed young players to play and develop; some have developed, some have not.  Those that have not should not be counted on to contribute to a championship. They need further development in the minors.

The catch-22 problem with Kopech is that the better he is, the more likely he is shut down in late summer.  Then what?  If he experiences issues, he gets shut down.  Then what?

Combine that with a TOR regression or injury.  Then what?  

If Grandal has a problem and misses games,  then what?

If Abreu has a problem and misses games, then what? 

Kopech should be treated as an added luxury, not a dependent.

Have you counted the then whats?   Do you want more?  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox had a chance to absolutely stack their roster this offseason.  If you are a Twins fan, you should breathe a sigh of relief the Sox didn’t get Springer or Bauer.

If they intend to contend for the next 6 years Bauer and Springer are not the answer.

They need to extend Gio and Lynn.

They need a back up catcher to be the safety net if Collins or Yaz go down.

They need an innings guy to bridge to Kopech or other young arms further down the road Bauer is not that guy.

Relying on Lopez and Cease and then Kopech at some point is a real BAD plan.  It may work but the odds are not good.

If Vaughn is the DH on opening day.....fine...I'd prefer a bat to bridge to Vaughn but whatever.

Yadi and Wainwright make too much sense...it's not that difficult but alas I feel our team is on the floor.  The offseason made us a little better but not nearly what it should have or could have done and I do not mean 6 figure extended deals.

I am against the I hate JR bandwagon folks but I am now thinking about looking at the price of a ticket to board.

Edited by Harry Chappas

January 28 Report card, just over six months before Spring Training (July 1, because Science):

Management:
Managerial search / Tony LaRussa F -

Ethan Katz / Firing Don Cooper A

Lowering Payroll, Having Paul Sullivan Praise Dear Leader’s significant investments. F -

Acquisitions to date: 
Adam Eaton F -

Adding Lance Lynn / Losing Dunning and Weems B

Liam Hendricks A +

Backup Catcher - TBD / Zach Collins = D

Announcers:

Len Kasper A +

Not banning Sox Fan Troll Steve Stone on Twitter  F

Overall:

Targeting AL Central Title A -

Targeting World Series Title C-

1/28/21 Off-season GPA C-

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's as if these whiners just showed up recently to cheer for this team.  EVERY DIE HARD SOX FAN KNOWS JERRY IS CHEAP!   IT'S NOT BREAKING NEWS!

You're right, we know he's cheap.  This is why we were willing to put up with this rebuild, knowing that we couldn't fill out our roster with big time FA signings and needed to develop and obtain young talent.  We were told by the GM, guaranteed, in fact, that the money will be there during our competitive window.  We were told that a young, talented roster would be buffeted by strong, veteran FA signings to bring at least one, and hopefully more, championships to Chicago.  

That language hadn't been used previously under JR's reign.  We know the man is cheap, but his organization told us that he's going to be willing to go all in.

He lied to us.  Yes, the team will be good regardless.  It would be a lot better if Jerry did what he said he was going to do.  This roster with a Baeur?  This roster with a Springer in RF?  This roster with Cruz at DH?  ENORMOUS upgrades made by any owner who wanted to push all his chips in.  We can't even get freaking Wainright because of money?  Seriously?

I've been a fan for a long time.  I can take "cheap".  I've accepted cheap.  I don't accept straight up lying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

January 28 Report card, just over six months before Spring Training (July 1, because Science😞

Management:

Lowering Payroll, Having Paul Sullivan Praise Dear Leader’s significant investments. F -

Acquisitions to date: 
Adam Eaton F -

Liam Hendricks A +

Announcers:

Len Kasper A +

Overall:

I think your grades are spot on and cover most or all of the offseason so far.

I would say Targetting World Series more like a D tho. 

We are not in the same league as the top dogs (Padres/Dodgers/NL Eats Machines/Possible NYY)

• Like 1

Just now, Orlando said:

I think that we should also put blame on Hahn. Jerry sucks but Hahn doesn’t know how to spend his limited resources the right way. 

That's definitely true.. the massive wastes on free agency over the years has been pretty bad. It would have been better for the Sox to trade for bad contracts and take back prospects rather than spend what they've done in free agency on middling talent ready to expire. 

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

January 28 Report card, just over six months before Spring Training (July 1, because Science😞

Management:

Acquisitions to date: 
Adam Eaton F -

Liam Hendricks A +

Announcers:

Len Kasper A +

Overall:

I'll play...

Management:
Managerial search / Tony LaRussa F for perception and problems. A- for coaching potential and experience. 

Ethan Katz / Firing Don Cooper B+

Lowering Payroll, Having Paul Sullivan Praise Dear Leader’s significant investments. D- Upgraded team but stopped too short of the goal line. Stepped on the three point line while shooting

Acquisitions to date: 
Adam Eaton C - meh signing but if he bounces back a bit this could be a good signing. Will he bounce back? 

Adding Lance Lynn / Losing Dunning and Weems A, this was a great trade to add a TOR arm we desperately needed. 

Liam Hendricks A + Great signing, but busted the budget. 

Backup Catcher - TBD / Zach Collins = D He is a failed prospect at this point. Still has potential but it is what it is. 

Announcers:

Len Kasper A +

Not banning Sox Fan Troll Steve Stone on Twitter  B

Overall:

Targeting AL Central Title B+

Targeting World Series Title C

1/28/21 Off-season GPA C+

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Do we have any reason to believe it is Hahn spending the money and not TLR?

I mean, I’m going based on his track record. His signings the last few years have been putrid. If La Russa influenced Lynn, Eaton and Hendriks, that’s better than what Hahn usually puts up. Lol