Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They could be great if one of Cease or Kopech develops into a front-line starter.

That would help a lot; and they could have a great pen as currently constructed, although I'm a little concerned with the back end (meaning the 5th and 6th inning guys) should the Sox 4th and 5th starters really struggle.   Hopefully another young guy or 2 pops up in the Spring.
Not a huge issue, but I'd like to see Eaton recover some of his RF defensive prowess.

Eaton isn't going to recover THAT much, because, if you'll look very carefully at the one really strong year he had after being moved from CF to RF, the majority of his increased value came from outfield assists.

The same thing happened with Avi one year.

Just hard to rely on that on a yearly basis.   Just staying healthy is the biggest individual factor for Eaton, as we all know.

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Eaton isn't going to recover THAT much, because, if you'll look very carefully at the one really strong year he had after being moved from CF to RF, the majority of his increased value came from outfield assists.

The same thing happened with Avi one year.

Just hard to rely on that on a yearly basis.   Just staying healthy is the biggest individual factor for Eaton, as we all know.

I feel like Eaton is going to be Jon Jay 2.0 for the White Sox.

• Thanks 1

I still have no idea why people are so down on Eaton.  Arguably he's the best non-Springer Sox target.  If he can get healthy and stay healthy, he's basically good enough to start and he's paid a price that will enable him to be a 4th OF if an addition is made.  

There's a lot to like about Eaton if he's healthy.  It's not like Joc Pederson is some great player.  I have no idea why Eaton gets so much hate here.

I for one pin all of the clubhouse bullshit of the past on Robin and Hahn.  Robin couldn't manage a game or a clubhouse.  Easily the worst Sox manager since Bevington.  Then Hahn brought in Turd Frazier and LaRoche who pretty much always sucked.  I remember him coming up with the Braves and he was just absolutely underwhelming.  The LaRoche brothers were probably the most overhyped and underachieving pair of "huge prospect" brothers ever.  So that's all on Robin and Hahn.  At least Eaton was a good player.  

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

I feel like Eaton is going to be Jon Jay 2.0 for the White Sox.

Eaton has always been better than Jay.  Much better bat and much more pop.

That said, Jay was what he was expected to be, when healthy.  The worst part of the Manny fiasco was 1) failing to offer the most guaranteed money and coming off like a team full of clowns in the process, and 2) actually trading for Yonder Alonso as though it ever would have mattered in the first place.  If Jay is even the 3rd worst element of the Manny fiasco, it's a very distant 3rd.

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I still have no idea why people are so down on Eaton.  Arguably he's the best non-Springer Sox target.  If he can get healthy and stay healthy, he's basically good enough to start and he's paid a price that will enable him to be a 4th OF if an addition is made.  

There's a lot to like about Eaton if he's healthy.  It's not like Joc Pederson is some great player.  I have no idea why Eaton gets so much hate here.

I for one pin all of the clubhouse bullshit of the past on Robin and Hahn.  Robin couldn't manage a game or a clubhouse.  Easily the worst Sox manager since Bevington.  Then Hahn brought in Turd Frazier and LaRoche who pretty much always sucked.  I remember him coming up with the Braves and he was just absolutely underwhelming.  The LaRoche brothers were probably the most overhyped and underachieving pair of "huge prospect" brothers ever.  So that's all on Robin and Hahn.  At least Eaton was a good player.  

It's fair enough to say Pederson isn't the be all, end all.

That his fWAR numbers "overestimate" his real value as a typical swing and miss player, and largely platoon bat.

That said, there were/are all kinds of players like a Jackie Bradley, Jr. or Eddie Rosario in that price range or a bit above (Eaton's) that arguably would have been better bets due to health reasons alone.   Now Eaton's a better RFer than Rosario, but Bradley, Jr., would have been more than acceptable.

Pederson always was mentioned because of the trade talks 2-3 years ago and the fact that he was usually not getting everyday playing time because of 1) talent on that team/bench, and 2) the terrible splits against LHP.

Full list of other outfield options.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/freeagents/_/position/of

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It's fair enough to say Pederson isn't the be all, end all.

That his fWAR numbers "overestimate" his real value as a typical swing and miss player, and largely platoon bat.

That said, there were/are all kinds of players like a Jackie Bradley, Jr. or Eddie Rosario in that price range or a bit above (Eaton's) that arguably would have been better bets due to health reasons alone.   Now Eaton's a better RFer than Rosario, but Bradley, Jr., would have been more than acceptable.

Pederson always was mentioned because of the trade talks 2-3 years ago and the fact that he was usually not getting everyday playing time because of 1) talent on that team/bench, and 2) the terrible splits against LHP.

You also had Jay Bruce, David Dahl, Brett Gardner, Jake Marisnick, Adam Duvall, Kevin Pillar, Puig, Josh Reddick, Domingo Santana and Kyle Schwarber in roughly that same territory.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/freeagents/_/position/of

I almost gave you a trophy for 14 names, but decided not to.

• Like 1

I'd rather have Jake Cave straight up. It was another rushed early acquisition. Bradley Jr, or Pederson are much better options without the headaches.

Jake Cave Projections: Age 28; PA 389;  HR 14 OPS .749

Adam Eaton Projections: Age 32; PA 503; HR 12; OPS .750

Joc Pederson Projections: Age 29; PA 438: HR 25; OPS .808

Jackie Bradley Jr. Projections: Age 31; PA 550; HR 18; OPS .737

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

JR's $20 million purchase of the White Sox was approved 40 years ago today.

The profit margin is similar to some of the GameStop moves this week.

"Our goal is always to get to the World Series and win it. If you're not, you should probably work in another business. That's our goal, but to get there you have to have a good regular season, which means having depth and winning 90-plus games to give yourself a chance.”

Name that quote.

https://www.startribune.com/derek-falvey-values-flexibility-in-players-contracts-in-constantly-reshaping-twins/600016256/?ref=nl&om_rid=48311239113&om_mid=2314830281

While the Twins' slow negotiations with designated hitter Nelson Cruz have given the casual fan a sense of stagnancy, the Twins have signed an excellent shortstop, a former closer (Hansel Robles) and a veteran starter (J.A. Happ), all on one-year deals.

As scouts and GMs like to say, there is no such thing as a bad one-year deal.

This is in keeping with Falvey's philosophy. He wants maximum flexibility — whether in the form of players or contracts — and doesn't want to block any of his top prospects. A year from now, if top prospect Royce Lewis is ready to play the infield, the Twins can simply let Simmons go.

Are the Twins close to being done?

Falvey reminded me that since 2018, the Twins have acquired three front-line starting pitchers — Lance Lynn, Jake Odorizzi and Kenta Maeda — during spring training.

EE and a certain Machado relative say hello on that one year deal philosophy.

Edited by caulfield12

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

JR's $20 million purchase of the White Sox was approved 40 years ago today.

Article in today's Trib about the purchase.  Pretty interesting stuff.  JR originally put up one million of his own money and now the team is worth $1.65 billion.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-jerry-reinsdorf-sale-40th-anniversary-20210129-smniowquojgg5kdhviqfhfbn2a-story.html

2 minutes ago, RichieZisk said:

Article in today's Trib about the purchase.  Pretty interesting stuff.  JR originally put up one million of his own money and now the team is worth $1.65 billion.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-jerry-reinsdorf-sale-40th-anniversary-20210129-smniowquojgg5kdhviqfhfbn2a-story.html

Easily $2-2.5 billion with all that stimulus in the economy...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichieZisk said:

If they would have invested $20 million based on the Nasdaq index and let it sit they would have approx $1.3 billion today.

Do the same with the S&P 500 index and you are looking at $620 million.

Both comparisons assume that the owners did not put any more of their money into the team after purchase, which may or may not be true.

A damn nice return, but not insane when you look at the complete lack of liquidity of the investment and limited number of potential purchasers on the way out.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What a fucking cheap fuck

JR is neither cheap nor dumb in my opinion.  It's fair to disagree with how he operates but we are currently one of the best teams in baseball.  Someone is doing something right.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

JR is neither cheap nor dumb in my opinion.  It's fair to disagree with how he operates but we are currently one of the best teams in baseball.  Someone is doing something right.

Come on man, we’re good because we traded away a bunch of talented assets and signed a couple Cubans.  Go look at our list of biggest free agent signings and tell me Jerry isn’t cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Come on man, we’re good because we traded away a bunch of talented assets and signed a couple Cubans.  Go look at our list of biggest free agent signings and tell me Jerry isn’t cheap.

Grandal and Hendriks are examples of star-level players the FO has acquired in free agency.  I have voiced the opinion many times that free agency should be used to plug holes rather than shop for stars.  The star level player should be developed from the draft or international signings or trades.  I do understand that in theory, a 30 million 10 year contract can net your team a star who takes the team to the WS.  However, it seldom works out that way and often hamstrings the team beyond all reason.