Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How about one nine figure deal in our lifetimes?  Is that really asking much?

I have a feeling the “well, we almost signed A-Rod argument” will get thrown out there...and Machado.  And Tanaka, originally.

That said, the Twins’ and Indians’ ownership groups are far cheaper.   Despite that, their results on the field have been much better.   Much higher efficiency in $/fWAR.   And they also place more emphasis on scouting as well as managers/coaching staff.

If you just objectively looked at potential media markets and payrolls (AL Central speaking), you’d realistically expect to win divisions at least 50% of the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This, and the dishonesty.

Don't blow tens of millions each season during tanking years on garbage players or friends and family of Machado, and tell us your tapped out at the 2011 payroll rate.

Don't jump the gun each free agent season in a contraction/collusion market and acquire garbage like Parrot, Eaton, Mazara.

Don't tell us you are conducting legitimate managerial search and bring in Tony La Russa a decade out of retirement in an orange jump suit because nobody else will hire him.

Don't brag about multi-championship windows when a mid level payroll "taps you out".

Don't have your ticket reps tell your fans they expect a full schedule with fans in the seats, when owners are once again working to lock out players indefinitely, and handing bullshit letters to government hacks in Arizona to spew propganda on your behalf.

Don't leak any news to Bob Fucking Nightengale, grow a pair and face the media and fans.

Eaton is bound to be a productive hitter if you follow the law of averages. Think of all the hitters that died in Chicago. If you want to ruin Cruz just bring him on over. 

40 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't disagree with the overall thought but even those bulls teams he paid some players max contracts, it's just that it was Boozer instead of Lebron.  It's always the lesser option, but still spending money.

Lebron and company did not want to come here because of JR's rep of being a penny pincher and not taking care of Jordan, Pippen, and Phil, guys he didn't want to pay. The bulls trade draft picks for cash and trade for guys just to cut. 

14 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This, and the dishonesty.

Don't blow tens of millions each season during tanking years on garbage players or friends and family of Machado, and tell us your tapped out at the 2011 payroll rate.

Don't jump the gun each free agent season in a contraction/collusion market and acquire garbage like Parrot, Eaton, Mazara.

Don't tell us you are conducting legitimate managerial search and bring in Tony La Russa a decade out of retirement in an orange jump suit because nobody else will hire him.

Don't brag about multi-championship windows when a mid level payroll "taps you out".

Don't have your ticket reps tell your fans they expect a full schedule with fans in the seats, when owners are once again working to lock out players indefinitely, and handing bullshit letters to government hacks in Arizona to spew propganda on your behalf.

Don't leak any news to Bob Fucking Nightengale, grow a pair and face the media and fans.

So angry.  I would never allow myself to be this mad or angry about the Business of White Sox baseball. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He basically has complete control of the White Sox and his partners can’t do much about it.

Limited partners don't have voting rights. That was the original setup with investors. George used to call Eddie and Jerry the Katzenjammer Kids which is a bit dated. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I seriously wonder how much JR controls. Yes,  he's a majority owner, but he has partners. To me he's always been more of a figure head than THE owner. 

There is nothing to "wonder". He is the chief officer (President) over daily affairs, and also the Chairman of the Board of Directors. Jerry is compensated for his position as chief officer above and beyond net profits for his pro-rata ownership received each year.

Jerry has methodically increased his ownership from 4% of the original purchase ($1M of $19M) to the person with the highest percentage of Chicago White Sox shares from other minority shareholders. This information is widely available via reporting over the decades. What isn't publicly known is his exact current percentage of ownership. I wouldn't assume he owns a majority of shares. He was elected managing partner when he put the bid together and only owned 4% in 1981. MLB approved him and his bid.

Like most limited partnership agreements, the managing partner has a broad authority over the affairs of the club. Besides possible restrictions regarding debt / capital, or significant departures from the board approved annual budget, Jerryhas autonomy over the organization. 

People assume Kenny is next in charge but he is not, he is oversees baseball operations. Unlike the Cubs structure (Crane Kenny and Jed Hoyer are dual Presidents), Howard Pizer is the Senior Executive Vice President, Kenny Williams is Executive Vice President, Rick Hahn Senior Vice President & General Manager is third. When Jerry Reinsdorf denied Kenny the opportunity to interview for the President & CEO Position in Toronto, he denied Kenny the chance at a promotion.

23 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

So angry.  I would never allow myself to be this mad or angry about the Business of White Sox baseball. 

Oh really? You apparently you also have an issue with dishonesty, not to mention hatred.

Imagine having the balls to have traded for a real SP to contend.

Yay, now Lopez becomes the #3 candidate for the postseason.  Winner of the tallest midget award. 

I hate Rick Hahn as much as I hate Rick Renteria. 

Unlike you, I can celebrate the good, and criticize the bad, including dishonesty, without hating the organization or personnel.

Physician, heal thyself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Merkin tonight on the possibility of more moves.

“Every team -- every business -- has a budget, so you operate within or near that limit. With all that said, the White Sox could use another bat to help at designated hitter and another pitcher to give greater depth to the rotation, but the season has not started yet and there’s room to maneuver at the Trade Deadline.”

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Merkin tonight on the possibility of more moves.

“Every team -- every business -- has a budget, so you operate within or near that limit. With all that said, the White Sox could use another bat to help at designated hitter and another pitcher to give greater depth to the rotation, but the season has not started yet and there’s room to maneuver at the Trade Deadline.”

:lolhitting

Just now, Orlando said:

Is he basically saying that they need a bat and a SP but they won’t get one? I don’t understand what he’s trying to convey.

Yup. They have needs but somehow they accidentally blew all their money and no one could possibly have seen that coming, but hopefully money is available in July.