Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap

3 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

a market that is dominated by the (currently) more popular Cubs. 

But they’re looking at losing Bryant, Baez and/or Contreras in the next couple of years.  No Epstein, although maybe that’s a positive now in some ways.   No unfettered spending to climb out of the mess.   Declining assets pretty much across the board.  Don’t even have Len Kasper.   Your neighborhood has been gentrified/yuppified/Starbucksized.

I suppose if you are a Rizzo or Kyle Hendricks fan, it’s okay, but that’s like being an Abreu or Sale fan five years ago, minus the relatively recent WS (for Cubs).   No Joe Maddon cult of personality to outsell Abreu jerseys and hawk Bunny’s Beverage Depot.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

But they’re looking at losing Bryant, Baez and/or Contreras in the next couple of years.  No Epstein, although maybe that’s a positive now in some ways.   No unfettered spending to climb out of the mess.   Declining assets pretty much across the board.  Don’t even have Len Kasper.   Your neighborhood has been gentrified/yuppified/Starbucksized.

I suppose if you are a Rizzo or Kyle Hendricks fan, it’s okay, but that’s like being an Abreu or Sale fan five years ago, minus the relatively recent WS (for Cubs).   No Joe Maddon cult of personality to outsell Abreu jerseys and hawk Bunny’s Beverage Depot.

Yes, currently they are 2 franchises going opposite directions. Still the cubs are the brand name. I don't think the league would mind the sox leaving and ceding the market to the cubs. Wouldn't the sox in Vegas being a bookend to the Raiders be sweet for the league. Think of the merchandise possibilities. Same color scheme. we both have a somewhat maverick/checkered past. 

A team WILL be put in Montreal soon - prolly the rays. Mexico City - what about that market!

• Haha 1

Just now, kleedawg said:

Yes, currently they are 2 franchises going opposite directions. Still the cubs are the brand name. I don't think the league would mind the sox leaving and ceding the market to the cubs. Wouldn't the sox in Vegas being a bookend to the Raiders be sweet for the league. Think of the merchandise possibilities. Same color scheme. we both have a somewhat maverick/checkered past. 

A team WILL be put in Montreal soon - prolly the rays. Mexico City - what about that market!

The league would never let the Sox leave at this point and they could care less about cross branding with an NFL team.

8 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I know it has been stated probably 100 times but where is our payroll now compared to last year? I know the whole pandemic and not knowing what happens this year with fans is an issue but to not up your payroll from last year when we were middle of the rode is pathetic 

It’s down YoY if you ignore last year’s proration

8 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I know it has been stated probably 100 times but where is our payroll now compared to last year? I know the whole pandemic and not knowing what happens this year with fans is an issue but to not up your payroll from last year when we were middle of the rode is pathetic 

Coming into last season, the White Sox's payroll was estimated at $126 million for a full season.

https://wtop.com/sports/2020/05/2020-baseball-projected-payrolls-list/

As of now, the 2021 White Sox payroll is $120 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/payroll/

• Thanks 1

The league average is 107 million. White Sox are currently at 120 million, so above average, 13th in the league, right above the Jays and below the Cubs.

I firmly believe the pandemic played a major role in the Sox not pursuing more targets this offseason, like pretty much every other team except for the Mets (Padres don't count...they traded everyone)

Depth is the scary thing. No doubt.

But...I wouldn't say the Sox are being cheap right now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

Even as a minority team in the 3rd biggest market in the country, there is still more growth potential than somewhere like Nashville or Portland.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even as a minority team in the 3rd biggest market in the country, there is still more growth potential than somewhere like Nashville or Portland.

I love my Chicago to death, but now that i live in Atlanta i would kill for them to move to Nashville. They would support well and the tourism boom in the summer would guarantee near sellouts most nights

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I love my Chicago to death, but now that i live in Atlanta i would kill for them to move to Nashville. They would support well and the tourism boom in the summer would guarantee near sellouts most nights

Chicago CAN do that, we saw it in the middle 2000's when they were good.

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Reinsdorf's allowance of Billy Donovan is the outlier here as I can see it.  And I just think that is evidence that he lets Michael handle the Bulls.  But TLR, Ozzie, Phil Jackson, Thibs, were all first time managers/coaches on cheap contracts who worked out great.  That same model he's followed forever and it has turned out terribly for the most part.  

He lucked into Michael Jordan, lucked into Frank Thomas.  He finally won a W-S in 2005 while playing in what is usually the easiest division in the AL.  For a guy who has owned the team since 1981 he's made the playoffs in 6 total seasons including last year's freebie which in normal circumstances probably is a near miss, and outside of 2005, he's never won a single playoff series in all of those years.

I believe that dirtbag Loria re: the 2nd place comments.  I mean the evidence is pretty clear what kind of dirtbag reinsdorf is also.

Jerry left the Bulls to Michael a few years ago. If jerry were still in control, GarPax and Boylan would still be there. His family is keeping the Bulls and selling the White Sox after he croaks or is too decrepit to serve as White Sox Chairman. Sox fans have reason for hope after Jerry is gone, based on the competent decisions after Jerry's stench left the United Center. The Blackhawks also flourished after Bill Wirtz croaked. 

1 hour ago, kleedawg said:

a market that is dominated by the (currently) more popular Cubs. 

This was a 50/50 town, until Reinsdorf and Einhorn took over, and destroyed the fan base and any goodwill built over the previous 80 years.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Still has enough power to get Baines into the HOF

Him and the drunken, criminal manager jerry dug up from the grave after 10 years of "retirement". Jerry himself said last Spring Training Tony La Russa has ZERO business returning managing, that he cannot relate to young players. Yet another DUI arrest later, and here we are.

The Baseball HOF is not owned or controlled by MLB. Other owners really don't care that Jerry brought in yet another crony selection into the HOF.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

But not Minoso or Shoeless Joe Jackson (don’t think he has ever take a strong stance there, or I must have missed it.)

Jerry doesn't give a rats ass about White Sox history pre 1980. To him, the White Sox organization began in 1981, and he doesn't care what happens after he is dead, just that he dies with over $2 Billion +.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m so tired of this tightwad not doing everything he can to put a World Series team on the field. It isn’t fair to all of us who invest so much time and money on this franchise. Sell the team Jerry.

/rant

So do I get any credit now for my insistence that the Lynn trade was a waste?

45 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Look at our attendance in 2006 and 2007. If this team puts a good team together fans will show up. 

• Like 2

Jerry Reinsdorf was a disaster as owner when he began his reign of terror as owner in 1981, and not much has changed over the past four decades up to and including the current debacle with the ill-advised hiring of LaRussa.  However, it is what it is, as the saying goes, and we’ll just have to plug our noses and live through this late life bromance between the octogenarian owner and his prodigal septuagenarian.  Luckily it’s a short term arrangement because, at 85, how much more does Reinsdorf have left in the tank, and LaRussa, well, it only feels like a year or two with him at the helm before he’s restored to mothballs.  

What’s exciting for Sox fans is that the team should be more exciting and successful over the coming years in ways unprecedented for this franchise.  We are likely to see winning like we’ve never seen in our lifetimes, and once and for all, that will cure the years-long attendance problems.  Guaranteed Rate will be packed to the rafters with fans who won’t be able to get enough of all of the winning.  

In the long term, we can cast our eyes towards the end of the decade when we’ll likely have a new owner by then, AND an organization facing the end of a lease of a stadium that hasn’t lived up to expectations.  Could a new owner be motivated to pursue another ballpark in a more desirable location, and one built in a fan-friendly manner?  Who knows?  Fun to think about the possibilities, that’s for sure!

• Like 1

• knightni changed the title to Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap