Garbage dump pitchers I don't *like* like but like more than garbage

bmags

If they aren’t going after Bauer then:

- Julio Teheran: He had COVID and a rough 2020 with the Angels after signing on a 1 year/$9 million dollar deal. Still, he had a decent career with Atlanta and might be worth taking a flyer on.

- Taijuan Walker: Had a decent 2020 after surgery in 2019. One year for $2 million. Seems like he would be in the same low risk middling reward category as Rodon.

- Chris Archer: Did not play in 2020 and had a rough year coming off his long term deal in 2019. I’d be curious to know if he could get back to the form he had with Tampa and eat innings.

- Jake Arrieta: Arrieta didn’t have the same level of success in Philadelphia he had with the Cubs, going 22-23 with a 4.36 ERA, with his innings dipping and sporting a 1.387 WHIP. If healthy, he might be worth a shot, unless JR won’t pay for him and he just waltzes back over to the Cubs.

- Cole Hamels: Shut down in most of his one year in Atlanta (1 year, $18 million deal), Hamels got one start in during the shortened season in September. He apparently intends to pitch and has had shoulder and triceps injuries as of late. Rotoworld notes: “Hamels, 37, put up a 3.81 ERA and 143/56 K/BB ratio over 141 2/3 innings (27 starts) with the Cubs in 2019.“

- James Paxton: Reviewing his stats quickly he had decent seasons in New York but could command a higher salary than the Sox want to pay and for more than one year.

- Jake Odorizzi: He is seeking a three year deal and is probably out of the White Sox price range for what JR wants to spend but if healthy he would be a good addition.

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Cubs rotation is decimated. 

The Cubs cant afford anyone with upside that doesn't have some really significant flaws. Williams makes more sense for the Cubs on paper than a declining Jon Lester for twice the money. He has another year of Arb left if he hits and he's only 2 years removed from a solid year. In 2018 he had 170 IP with a 3.11 ERA (albeit with a 3.89 FIP and 4.54 xFIP).

The floor for the Cubs is that he has made his starts for the most part for the past 4 years and can keep the Cubs from having to put one of their AAA "prospects" out there to get shelled. 

He doesn't have those elite spin rates or any advanced analytics that like him, which kind of makes me wonder if the Cubs saw anything in him other than cheap innings. I dont think he makes much more sense for the Sox instead of Rodon personally. The Sox are looking to win a title, not have the upside of a potentially cheap 4-5 starter in 2022. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yeah.. at this point in the offseason i'd be thrilled with one of those three 😑

Hoping that the Sox still sign one.  With JR's thinking, maybe waiting for lower cost later.  Why pay $8m now if you can get same guy for $7.99m in March?  Think of the interest he could earn!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yeah.. at this point in the offseason i'd be thrilled with one of those three 😑

Walker is probably left because after last season he thinks he is worth $10M a year but with his peripherals teams are offering $5M. If he gets $5M I'm going to cry that the Sox didn't consider him. He can still bring the fastball at 94/95 , he's 28, he throws strikes and knows how to pitch.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Walker is probably left because after last season he thinks he is worth $10M a year but with his peripherals teams are offering $5M. If he gets $5M I'm going to cry that the Sox didn't consider him. He can still bring the fastball at 94/95 , he's 28, he throws strikes and knows how to pitch.

Probably also wants a multi-year deal, which I would give him.

On 1/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, The Beast said:

If they aren’t going after Bauer then:

- Taijuan Walker: Had a decent 2020 after surgery in 2019. One year for $2 million. Seems like he would be in the same low risk middling reward category as Rodon.

-

Late April 2018 TJ surgery not 2019.  He missed almost all of 2019 when he had a rehab start and had a capsule sprain. But his 2020 showed he was finally healthy. 11 starts 2.70 ERA and 1.163 WHIP and even better second half in 6 starts with a 1.37 ERA. I always like pitchers, who after injury, have a strong 2nd half.

Rodon pitched 4 games 2 starts, 7.2 innings total, 8.22 ERA and 1.565 WHIP. There isn't a world in which Walker gets less than Rodon.

According MLBTR Walker was the 23rd ranked FA this year. Guys like Rodon who were non tenders , injured and sucked are probably all lumped together at over 100. He's lucky the Sox gave him $3M.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Late April 2018 TJ surgery not 2019.  He missed almost all of 2019 when he had a rehab start and had a capsule sprain. But his 2020 showed he was finally healthy. 11 starts 2.70 ERA and 1.163 WHIP and even better second half in 6 starts with a 1.37 ERA. I always like pitchers, who after injury, have a strong 2nd half.

Rodon pitched 4 games 2 starts, 7.2 innings total, 8.22 ERA and 1.565 WHIP. There isn't a world in which Walker gets less than Rodon.

According MLBTR Walker was the 23rd ranked FA this year. Guys like Rodon who were non tenders , injured and sucked are probably all lumped together at over 100. He's lucky the Sox gave him $3M.

Walker is basically the only guy out there (remaining) that I want.

If he doesn't go to Sox, then I hope he goes to Mets or Angels for my 6-leg division winner parlay I bet on lol

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Walker is basically the only guy out there (remaining) that I want.

If he doesn't go to Sox, then I hope he goes to Mets or Angels for my 6-leg division winner parlay I bet on lol

You know as well as I do that no one of any significance is coming to the Sox. The roster is what it is now.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You know as well as I do that no one of any significance is coming to the Sox. The roster is what it is now.

True unfortunately. It's scary that we are a pitching injury away from Lopez and Rodon being in the rotation. And that's assuming Rodon isn't already injured yet again, which is always highly likely.

Think we may be bargain shopping at two levels.  First the decent starter who wants $ or years and not getting offer he likes.  We would be hoping for one year prove it deal and the pitcher would at least be on a contender.

Second level is guy willing to come on minor league deal and prove it in spring training.