Garbage dump pitchers I don't *like* like but like more than garbage

bmags

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Wouldn't mind a Odorizzi / Paxton / Roberto Osuna additions this year! At this point I'm pretty much hoping for anyone and anything. It's been pretty dead out there on any rumors for CWS :(. 

Would I mind two of the best starting pitchers on the market signing? No.

Would I mind a horrible piece of shit signing? Yes.

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

Would I mind two of the best starting pitchers on the market signing? No.

Would I mind a horrible piece of shit signing? Yes.

Meh, Osuna prior to the injury was a top 3 closer in the bigs. If you can get him signed to a two year deal for minimal $$$ and it works out the bullpen could be the best in baseball for the next 2 years. Hell, it might even be the best right now. 

Definitely not something that will happen and maybe not something that even should happen, but it'd be cool. 

17 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Meh, Osuna prior to the injury was a top 3 closer in the bigs. If you can get him signed to a two year deal for minimal $$$ and it works out the bullpen could be the best in baseball for the next 2 years. Hell, it might even be the best right now. 

Definitely not something that will happen and maybe not something that even should happen, but it'd be cool. 

dear second worst poster on the site

Yea it would be cool to have a domestic abuser on the team.  Very cool.  

sincerely, the worst poster on the site

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He seems to be sneaky good when healthy. Rich Hill? Arrieta? Peacock? Godley? McHugh? Eikhoff? Harvey?

Still a lot of names I'd be fine with.

A guy I would have liked to add if he was available is Ross Stripling. A good swing guy who goes back and forth between the rotation and pen and puts up decent numbers doing it (minus 2020). Someone like that would be a good add since we are going to need rotation depth.

18 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

A guy I would have liked to add if he was available is Ross Stripling. A good swing guy who goes back and forth between the rotation and pen and puts up decent numbers doing it (minus 2020). Someone like that would be a good add since we are going to need rotation depth.

I'd love Stripling.  Always been a big ffan of him. But he'd be valuable to the Blue Jays since they're in win now.

• Like 1

These are my favorite types of signings to be honest. I was all excited for Ervin Santana one year .... haha. They never turn out but I always hold out hope for the comeback story. 

This year I don't have a ton on the list, next year is primed with a bunch of nice short term guys. 

I've banged the drum on Rich Hill for like two years, not exactly garbage heap at all. His velocity took a bit of a dive as did he peripherals but he also continues to put up a 3ERA. nothing to sneeze at and should be available on a year deal at just a few million. 

Matt Shoemaker is one of my favs too. He's going to give you about 5 innings all year, but when he's healthy hes still decent. 

McHugh and Peacock - both guys interest me. More because of like 2017/8 memories. not sure of their latest velocities and health etc. 

David Robertson - why not? I guess? 

That's about it. 

31 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He seems to be sneaky good when healthy. Rich Hill? Arrieta? Peacock? Godley? McHugh? Eikhoff? Harvey?

Still a lot of names I'd be fine with.

I think the rough part is even if you get most of these guys to take a minor league deal, they are going to want an OK amount of money if they make the team, and they are also going to want a pretty firm opt out if they don't make the team.  You won't be able to keep a Rich Hill or Jake Arrieta around for months in Charlotte on a MiLB deal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the rough part is even if you get most of these guys to take a minor league deal, they are going to want an OK amount of money if they make the team, and they are also going to want a pretty firm opt out if they don't make the team.  You won't be able to keep a Rich Hill or Jake Arrieta around for months in Charlotte on a MiLB deal.

Exactly. Ideally, they're able to find a guy they can stash at Charlotte and a guy they can have a 6th starter/long relief role at the MLB level.

at this I have very little clue who is minor league quality. Peacock has enough injury baggage that he could work, I obviously love how he was an effective swing man.

I still think Jimmy Nelson would be interesting, but there has been so little about him that you assume his back still sucks. And that's not even his shoulder.

Stripling would be a good idea, I just think he signs somewhere.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am completely fine with that.  Who knows, maybe they look great and you put them on the active roster and Rodon to the DL (more likely) or bullpen if healthy.  There's ways around this.  If they look bad, to the minors they go, or DFA.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

at this I have very little clue who is minor league quality. Peacock has enough injury baggage that he could work, I obviously love how he was an effective swing man.

I still think Jimmy Nelson would be interesting, but there has been so little about him that you assume his back still sucks. And that's not even his shoulder.

Stripling would be a good idea, I just think he signs somewhere.

Stripling isn't a FA.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't think we are signing anyone but just wanted to note this tweet on Sanchez since he was a guy I thought could bounce back:

I'm going to guess he waits for some injuries in ST and then gets a major league deal.

I thought he signed with the Giants.

• 5 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 2:17 PM, bmags said:

So we're at this point of the season.

1) Jimmy Nelson

Dodgers liked him enough last year to give him a shot, based on his bullpens in milwaukee post shoulder ripping off his body. His fastball was slower at 92, but he featured a much better curveball. Then he hurt his back and womp womp was out for 2020 so we don't know, then the dodgers didn't pick up his option that wasn't that expensive. Not a good sign! but this is GARBAGE DUMP PITCHERS

2) Folty

He completely lost his fastball and was awful. But what this post presupposes is...maybe he didn't?

JK He's probably trash

3) Matt Moore

He was really good to start 2019, then tore his meniscus. He was really good in the NPB last year, and wikipedia says he's a free agent. Remember when he was really good way back when? Probably still is.

4) Trevor Williams

There is only one number that matters here, he is 29. That is not particularly young, but hey. Pirates pitchers that had some talent started to do better last year. Not williams, he was garbage. But maybe he won't be. 

5. Anibal Sanchez

So his fastball declined a full mph into the danger zone of below 90 last year. The only thing that I think is optimistic about a 37 year old pitcher with a LOT of mileage, is if he isn't completely done, wouldn't it make sense that perhaps it was due to the start/stop/start/stop of 2020? No? Probably right.

6. Chase Anderson - Objectively horrible last year but his stuff still looked fine? People barrelled up everything. Maybe we can just say "2020 shrug"?

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.14.25 PM.png

Thank you for your time. And before you ask "what about?". If they are good, they are not allowed here!

Other guy I thought about: Tommy Milone.

Just keeping score here since I came across this while searching for something else

1. Nelson - Good! 13.8 K/9, excellent bullpen pitcher. Sox should have listened to me. Don't read the rest! Stop reading!

2. Folty - hoo boy, -1 WAR, 6 ERA

3. Matt Moore - 6.5 ERA out of the bullpen...oof, okay, okay. Not great! but preetty bad.

4. Trevor Williams - 5 ERA, but, he had a good month? I'd say Trevor williams was about as bad as I expected. But probably worse in the AL. 

5. Anibal Sanchez - Never came back, so I'll chalk him up as a win

6. Chase Anderson - By far the worst. I think the lesson is don't swim in the same ponds as the Phillies. 7 ERA, only twice as many Ks as BBs. Just absolutely awful.

7. Tommy Milone - 6.5 ERA, also just f***ing brutally terrible.

So 1/7 or 2/7 if you give me that the retired guy wasn't actually hurting a team like the other guys on this list.

the sox chose Rodon instead, wise choice.