Garbage dump pitchers I don't *like* like but like more than garbage

bmags

1 hour ago, tray said:

Starting the season with Cease @4 and ReyLo @5 (and perhaps re-signing Rodon as depth) maintains some financial flexibility.  That is not that bad of an option for a team that has a strong bullpen and a possible starter like Kopech in the wings.  Cease and ReyLo are not complete game pitchers (how many of them are there any more?) but if they can go 4-5 innings and keep the score close, that may be all that is needed. Sox are going to be wailing on the ball and putting up some softball scores so they are going to win some games where a starter gives up 3-5 runs in the first few innings. TLaR is not going to let any starter in for too long with the bullpen arms he has.

I would not worry about the back of rotation at this point. There is always an opportunity to add before the trading deadline.

IMHO, Bauer could pose a risk to team chemistry. Therefore, if the Sox pass on him and his personal demands (which are beyond salary) I am fine with that.

And Cruz?  Come on, we are loaded with hitters don't need to add another old hitter like Thome, Dunn, LaRoach, Todd Frazier, etc, at the end of their respective careers. Pack up the gear, get vaccinated,  and get ready for Spring Training.

The Sox need another SP preferably a 2 or 3 and they need another bopper in their lineup not named Andrew Vaughn it’s simple as that. They can’t rely on Cease, Reynaldo, or Kopech early on especially if it’s 100+ games and no expanded playoffs, every game matters. The offense is great against the garbage in the ALC and NLC but what about when they get to the playoffs? If again all it costs is money Ozuna/Cruz/Springer/Bauer should be on this team, it’s completely unacceptable that Adam Eaton was the major upgrade on offense when so many other bats were and are still available. If they don’t come away with Ozuna/Cruz/Bauer or a trade for a bat I once again consider this offseason a failure because as currently constructed they are not the team to beat in the World Series let alone the AL there’s way too much volatility here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

The Sox need another SP preferably a 2 or 3 and they need another bopper in their lineup not named Andrew Vaughn it’s simple as that. They can’t rely on Cease, Reynaldo, or Kopech early on especially if it’s 100+ games and no expanded playoffs, every game matters. The offense is great against the garbage in the ALC and NLC but what about when they get to the playoffs? If again all it costs is money Ozuna/Cruz/Springer/Bauer should be on this team, it’s completely unacceptable that Adam Eaton was the major upgrade on offense when so many other bats were and are still available. If they don’t come away with Ozuna/Cruz/Bauer or a trade for a bat I once again consider this offseason a failure because as currently constructed they are not the team to beat in the World Series let alone the AL there’s way too much volatility here

This is the right stance. 

Offseasons for the CWS have been major failures.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Definitely hope they bring back Rodon on this point.  

If Rodon embraces a pen role he can still make some decent cash in his career. But for his sake I hope his starter days are over. I felt $4m for a potential impact bullpen arm was a fair price to pay. My guess is he just wasn't onboard. 

Edited by mac9001

56 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

If Rodon embraces a pen role he can still make some decent cash in his career. But for his sake I hope his starter days are over. I felt $4m for a potential impact bullpen arm was a fair price to pay. My guess is he just wasn't onboard. 

When they tried to put him in the bullpen, his wife was on twitter during the middle of a baseball playoff game saying how they shouldn't be putting him in the bullpen. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

When they tried to put him in the bullpen, his wife was on twitter during the middle of a baseball playoff game saying how they shouldn't be putting him in the bullpen. 

Damn exactly what I was about to say. That and his fastball is hitting 88MPH. Rodon just needs to move on. 

1 hour ago, mac9001 said:

There is zero chance he does that voluntarily.  Maybe as a last resort, but he knows the money is in starting.

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

To be fair, she was responding to people hating on him saying no sure how people expect him to be good out of the pen right away when its something he's never done in his life.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mac9001 said:

Yeah, his days as a SP are probably over.  I wouldn't pay $4M for his services either, but $1.5M-$2M to have around as back end rotation depth and potentially a decent lefty reliever?  I think thats worth it.

If the Sox are done with SP additions, we're scary thin after the top 3 and will be relying on Reynaldo for at least 15 starts.  No thanks.  Any injuries to Gio/Lynn/Keuchel, and the rotiation is in serious trouble. Not that Rodon changes much - frankly I would have rather brought him in addition to a more reliable back end option.  But those are drying up in a hurry.  

Just now, bmags said:

That seems fine for Jan.

This is where I disagree. These guys are training specifically for months for this showcase.  I don’t think he’s easing into this and saving more in the tank.  This is someone that used to hit 98 consistently.  

47 minutes ago, longshot7 said:

Last year's was pretty good tho.

Last year was a good start but they should have kept building off of that we expected Springer/Bauer/Ozuna that caps off a rebuild and says you’re fucking ready to steam roll these chumps who don’t want to go all in. I know it all falls on def ears cuz Jerry doesn’t give a damn about how we feel but he should because this is the most passionate fan base in baseball

32 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, his days as a SP are probably over.  I wouldn't pay $4M for his services either, but $1.5M-$2M to have around as back end rotation depth and potentially a decent lefty reliever?  I think thats worth it.

If the Sox are done with SP additions, we're scary thin after the top 3 and will be relying on Reynaldo for at least 15 starts.  No thanks.  Any injuries to Gio/Lynn/Keuchel, and the rotiation is in serious trouble. Not that Rodon changes much - frankly I would have rather brought him in addition to a more reliable back end option.  But those are drying up in a hurry.  

As bad as the depth around SPs is in MLB, SOMEONE will give him at least one more chance to start.  No idea what kind of money he is looking for, or promise he wants made, but pitching is such a rare commodity, he will get AT LEAST one more shot in a rotation.

He’s probably not “garbage dump” discussion, but is Taijuan Walker not a possibility? Too much $ or just no interest?...and should we have interest?
Obviously the idea of him being a TOR arm is long gone, but signing him  to be our 4th starter seems like a pretty good option. I assume something like 1 year for 10 mil would get it done 

57 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

He’s probably not “garbage dump” discussion, but is Taijuan Walker not a possibility? Too much $ or just no interest?...and should we have interest?
Obviously the idea of him being a TOR arm is long gone, but signing him  to be our 4th starter seems like a pretty good option. I assume something like 1 year for 10 mil would get it done 

Just about anyone is too much $ now.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Who else has upside in the low tier category besides Folty? 

Paxton, Archer, Porcello, Taijuan Walker, and Rich Hill are the options I think you can credibly say are decent mid rotation SP's. After those guys, you start getting into dart throws like Rodon, Matt Shoemaker, or Folty. There are also some bland 5th starter types available like Mike Leake, Hamels, Brett Anderson, Arrieta, etc.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Paxton, Archer, Porcello, Taijuan Walker, and Rich Hill are the options I think you can credibly say are decent mid rotation SP's. After those guys, you start getting into dart throws like Rodon, Matt Shoemaker, or Folty. There are also some bland 5th starter types available like Mike Leake, Hamels, Brett Anderson, Arrieta, etc.

Paxton and Walker are not dart throws. I'd be shocked if they don't get $10 mill +

• Like 1