Arenado traded to Cardinals

Dam8610

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/29/nolan-arenado-traded-rockies-cardinals/

The Rockies, faced with a money crunch following the pandemic-shortened 2020 season played without fans in the stands, found a way to unload a large chunk of Arenado’s large contract. They also resolved the dispute between Arenado and general manager Jeff Bridich that has been going on for more than a year.

For their part, the Cardinals added a powerful, right-handed bat and took a big step toward winning the National League Central.

In order to make the deal work, Arenado waived his no-trade clause. The third baseman has often expressed his admiration for the Cardinals’ baseball tradition and commitment to winning.

Arenado, 29, hit .293, launched 235 home runs and finished with an .890 OPS in his eight seasons in Colorado. He’s hit 40 or more home runs three times, including 41 in 2019 when he also hit .315, the best average of his career.

Raw numbers, however, don’t begin to tell Arenado’s story.

Fuck the Rockies. They paid 1 year of a 7 year contract extension that the had no intention of ever paying. They robbed baseball of the chance of Arenado on the open market so they could pay $50M for 5 prospects and sell a shit load of jerseys and tickets for 1 more year. This is bad for the sport.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

11 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Fuck the Rockies. They paid 1 year of a 7 year contract extension that the had no intention of ever paying. They robbed Arenado of the chance to go to the open market so they could pay $50 for 5 prospects and sell a shit load of jerseys and tickets for 1 more year. This is bad for the sport.

Who held the gun to Arenado's head and forced him to sign with the Rockies instead of hitting FA?

That person should definitely be found and murdered. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I meant they robbed other teams and fans of Arenado being available in Free Agency.

He was available right now for what, $160 million over 6 years? With basically no prospect cost coming back? His market here might well have been greater than just as a free agent because hypothetically someone could have offered more prospect talent in exchange for covering his contract.

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Who held the gun to Arenado's head and forced him to sign with the Rockies instead of hitting FA?

That person should definitely be found and murdered. 

They at least had made the playoffs for two consecutive years before 2019.

Baseball fans could argue the same thing about both Central Divisions with the exception of the Cubs over the last five years.

People gave me shit when i told them nolan wouldn’t cost anything... now people are crying everywhere on Twitter about how awful the trade was for the rockies...

this is a fair trade, tge rockies getting anything for nolan is a plus. Now they need to go all in and trade their stars while their value is high. I want tge rockies to be good again someday 

In my first post on the forum I mentioned that the Cardinals are my primary team, but always root for the Sox in the AL.  I also stated that I was frustrated with the Cards for their lack of will to win by adding talent this offseason and was more excited to watch the Sox than the Cards for the first time.

While I’m still excited to watch what I think will be a great Sox team, I’m extremely happy to have been wrong about the Cardinals and see them make moves to win the division and not tread water hoping for the best.

• Like 4

Actually, Kiszla, who is the epitome of of negative basher writer, could have been worse, although he did make fun of GM Bridich.  But, he is just getting started.  His articles will probably continue all week.  We don't know yet how much owner Monfort was involved in the negotiations.  Bridich did go to Harvard, as did our guy, Rick Hahn, by the way.