Joc to Cubs

bmags

Meh.  Overall, Eaton is probably the better hitter.  Joc will be strictly platooned, while Eaton will get more playing time.  Still not a bad deal for the Cubs.  Schwarber got $10MM from the Nationals.  They replaced him with a similar hitter with better defense for less money.

• Thanks 1

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

I am willing to put up some sort of bet (not a ban bet) that Eaton will outperform Joc this season. Not homeruns, obviously, but if Joc is played everyday on the Cubs his numbers are going to be horrid. He is a platoon guy people. 

If Eaton is healthy.   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I am willing to put up some sort of bet (not a ban bet) that Eaton will outperform Joc this season. Not homeruns, obviously, but if Joc is played everyday on the Cubs his numbers are going to be horrid. He is a platoon guy people. 

I'd be shocked if Eaton plays 80 games in 2021.

I'm fine with explanation that they wanted cost certainty at that position to move into the rest of the offseason. But, as much as I love Hendriks, the rest of the offseason wasn't proven to help that much to me.

With JBJ and Joc out this late, there were going to be acceptable RF, which is all Eaton is. But whatever, he's probably going to be fine, his high OBP does balance our lineup ok, and hopefully he doesn't regress horribly. 

But I'd have preferred Joc, and RF was his best position so I think saying his D was just as bad as schwarber is silly.

• Like 1

Joc was just a better overall fit for this team.  I'm not going to be pretend I'm furious about this but it's annoying.  The Sox offense while obviously very good last season was middle of the pack in OPS and wRC+ against RHP, Joc just so happens to kill right handed pitching and will probably be a better defensive right fielder than Adam in 2021 as well.  The fact that he signed for cheaper is just annoying like I said.  Would have been a real nice fit for this team.

Oh well I guess.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The division has a ton of lefties. Sox mash lefties. Eaton hits lefties decent. Joc is the worst player in baseball against lefties.

I like Joc as a platoon, but people are making this sound like sox missed out on Springer. It's almost comical at this point. 

I don’t want to see Eaton play against LHP either. Engel should be that part of the platoon.

• Like 1