German Marquez Thread

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Ok...what do we think it would take to get him? Colorado might as well trade him now that Arenado is gone. Taking Blackmon’s contract could reduce the level of prospects the Sox would have to to give up.

Jerry isn’t taking on Blackmon deal.  For goodness sake we won’t pay over 5 million for a starter we need.  Offer 3 guys not named Kopech, Crotchet, or Vaughn and let’s get it done.  They sold for money now they sell for younger prospects.  I honestly think Kelley and a lesser SP could get it done if they are in rebuild

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Al’s Cheesy Beef had tweeted that he will not be surprised if trade talks start up again with the Rockies for Marquez or Gray but than deleted the tweet. 

I saw that. I'd think Gray is more likely than Marquez and I don't think he'd be that expensive either. Worth a try. 

Try everything in your power to land Bauer. When that doesn’t work, sign a depth piece to eat sone innings while you see what you have in Cease and Kopech. Then if need be, you make a deal at the deadline for somebody like Marquez. Unless, of course, you can get him now without giving up the big 3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Try everything in your power to land Bauer. When that doesn’t work, sign a depth piece to eat sone innings while you see what you have in Cease and Kopech. Then if need be, you make a deal at the deadline for somebody like Marquez. Unless, of course, you can get him now without giving up the big 3. 

Agreed. if you can get him now without giving up the big three, do it now. Don't wait until the price goes up & you half a half dozen other contenders circling at the deadline. I've had a feeling RH has one more significant deal left in him this off-season. Marquez has 3 years of club control remaining. Rick's type of guy...

Edited by ChetLemon77
  • Like 1

If you want Marquez, you have to give up at least one of Vaughn/Kopech/Crochet, which the Sox aren't doing

So if you want Marquez, you have to take on a bad contract (Blackmon), which the Sox aren't doing

So if you're trading with the Rockies, it's probably Jon Gray (yuck)

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If you want Marquez, you have to give up at least one of Vaughn/Kopech/Crochet, which the Sox aren't doing

So if you want Marquez, you have to take on a bad contract (Blackmon), which the Sox aren't doing

So if you're trading with the Rockies, it's probably Jon Gray (yuck)

might as well cross off crochet, would imagine it would take either Vaughn or Kopech, doubt crochet has as much value as either of those two

4 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Ok...what do we think it would take to get him? Colorado might as well trade him now that Arenado is gone. Taking Blackmon’s contract could reduce the level of prospects the Sox would have to to give up.

We are broke...we aren’t taking on Blackmon’s contract.  Hell, we probably can’t afford Marquez’s $7.5M salary without Uncle Jerry declaring bankruptcy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChetLemon77 said:

Agreed. if you can get him now without giving up the big three, do it now. Don't wait until the price goes up & you half a half dozen other contenders circling at the deadline. I've had a feeling RH has one more significant deal left in him this off-season. Marquez has 3 years of club control remaining. Rick's type of guy...

Just an FYI, but I think he has four years of control left.

I don't think the sox are a fit here. They won't be willing to part with their mlb ready top3 (vaughn, kopech, crochet) and the rest of the system of the sox is just not high upside enough as a centerpiece.

If the rockies don't get one of the top3 they at least need some very high upside young guys and they sox don't have much of that. I doubt the rockies want 22+yo  to 40s and 45s.

9 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Eloy

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which is where we’re going to struggle to find a deal that works.  Kelley + Thompson + Bailey + Rodriguez doesn’t feel like enough to get a deal done and that’s probably the best package of prospects 20 & under we could put together (excluding Vera) to get a deal done.

If that was the return for Giolito with three years left on his deal, how would you feel about your GM?

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If that was the return for Giolito with three years left on his deal, how would you feel about your GM?

Which is why is why I said we probably wouldn’t be able to get a deal, but the Rockies are one of the dumbest organizations so leaving a sliver of a chance 😉