Sox resign Rodon 1 yr /3m official, Vargas DFA

bmags

It's worth a shot if Katz can work with him and they have a legitimate plan they can implement before the season (continue as a starter or transition into a bullpen role). It was asinine to call up an injured lifelong starter and throw him into a bullpen role with a few games left in the season. Ashley had more sense than the FO, Ricky took the fall.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'll take Rodon and some other veteran on a MiLB deal. (Folty?)

That would be acceptable, but so weak. 

Depth would be OK then, but quality would be garbage. Should reach for so much more. But again, they need to bring in 2 guys if they are going to bring in garbage so I agree.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

That would be acceptable, but so weak. 

Depth would be OK then, but quality would be garbage. Should reach for so much more. But again, they need to bring in 2 guys if they are going to bring in garbage so I agree.

I'd say they need 2 guys regardless outside of geting Bauer.  Pitching depth will be more important this year than ever.  I predict a lot of injuries going from 60 games to 162

• Like 2

My question is does he still have the velocity needed to be effective in the major leagues? There were times last year where he looked to be fighting control and struggling to regain form. Give him a incentive based deal to prove it, otherwise try and move on to someone else.

How does a guy who hasn’t thrown over 120 innings in 4 years solve the need for innings in the back end of the rotation?

Everyone talks about “bridge to Kopech” but then what also happens when Cease hits 130-140 innings or so?

Edited by RTC

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Totally expected this

Giolito/Lynn/Keuchel are a set Top 3, Cease is locked into one of the last 2 spots and someone has to bridge the gap to Kopech...We'll see if that's Rodon, Lopez, or other

Taijuan Walker still available?

I'd love Walker but he must be out of our price range.

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I know...feels good.  We felt that way about Coop for a long time as well.  Let's face it...Soxtalk is loaded with optimism. 🙂

It’s strange right.  The general pessimism doesn’t apply to Katz, SOLELY because the hate for Cooper and his dinosaur status is greater.  The pitchforks are still fresh with the blood of the Cooper

Edited by Jerksticks
  • Like 1

Is everyone assuming at this point that 40% of the rotation is going to be cobbled together from 4-5 different guys over the course of the season?  On a team with WS aspirations?  That’s the plan? 

The thought of that just brings back nightmares of Ozzie’s whole DH-by-committee extravaganza.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RTC said:

Is everyone assuming at this point that 40% of the rotation is going to be cobbled together from 4-5 different guys over the course of the season?  On a team with WS aspirations?  That’s the plan? 

The thought of that just brings back nightmares of Ozzie’s whole DH-by-committee extravaganza.....

Yeah, and I don't hate it.  Wasn't that always kind of the plan if we werent trading for a stud/signing Bauer?  Wasn't Kopech always assumed to take the spot of our add-on?

3 minutes ago, RTC said:

I won't be surprised if we do use a variation of openers coupled with what does look like a dominant pen.  Kopech, Lopez, and Cease are openers + until they show an ability to go six +  innings with every start IMO.

• bmags pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic