Sox resign Rodon 1 yr /3m official, Vargas DFA

bmags

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I love it.  He’s going to be motivated to get a multi-year deal.  His stuff was good when he returned, which is better than we can say for some of these options.

Yep, biting slider, good velo, and awful results. The Rodon special.

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Agreed. Unless its a minor league deal with no opt out date during spring training and he's sticks around as depth.

I hope this is a depth move. 

Gio, Lynn, Kuechel, Cease, and that final 5th spot is a fight to the death between Lopez and Rodon. Spring training will be big for both of them, until Kopech is ready.

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

It’s inaccurate to say we haven’t seen dominant outings, because we have! Now I agree those have been few and far between but we HAVE seen them.

https://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/masterpiece-theater-83ce5f8bbd5

I feel like Dylan covey had a longer dominant stretch than Rodon ever had. 

• Haha 1

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

It’s inaccurate to say we haven’t seen dominant outings, because we have! Now I agree those have been few and far between but we HAVE seen them.

https://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/masterpiece-theater-83ce5f8bbd5

I never said he didn't have a few dominant outings. I'm pretty sure Dylan Axelrod had a couple. 

Rodon would have a few good starts in a row where the opposing team was putting balls in play and getting outs, and then would correct upwards with an awful game stretch, like most mediocre pitchers. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yep, biting slider, good velo, and awful results. The Rodon special.

Better than no velocity and concerns they will never get it back.  He sucked of course last year but Ricky did him no favors.  What the Sox need to do is a tell him to give them 75 dominant pitches every outings.  He doesn’t need to be a workhorse.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Better than no velocity and concerns they will never get it back.  He sucked of course last year but Ricky did him no favors.  What the Sox need to do is a tell him to give them 75 dominant pitches every outings.  He doesn’t need to be a workhorse.

Ah, it was rickys fault. And before that it was his catchers fault. It’s always someone else’s fault with him.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like Dylan covey had a longer dominant stretch than Rodon ever had. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I never said he didn't have a few dominant outings. I'm pretty sure Dylan Axelrod had a couple. 

Rodon would have a few good starts in a row where the opposing team was putting balls in play and getting outs, and then would correct upwards with an awful game stretch, like most mediocre pitchers. 

We both picked out mediocre white sox pitchers...named Dylan. I'm rather impressed by this.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok, well you’re free to be disingenuous if you’d like. Obviously Rodon’s stuff at its best is very different than the people you named, but you know this and are talking in hyperbole.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Cool bring Rodon back. Katz better be a miracle worker or we're in trouble with the rotation. 

Without another arm in addition to Rodon they are going to be in trouble. They need more depth in the rotation and Rodon is just not that guy.

42 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Rodon is exactly the dude I’d want if this were 2017 and they were trying to find reclamation projects but not in 2021 when this team is trying to win a World Series, let’s move on from this idea please? You sign Rodon you’re gonna have to sign more depth, it was never an issue of whether he has stuff but whether he can stay healthy or not, re-signing him would accomplish nothing but it’s very WhiteSox 

This signing is so White Sox unless it is a minor league deal. If he gets a multi-million dollar deal then I’ll be even more mad especially if they could have afforded some of the other arms out there and if they don’t go after someone else. He’s got to prove he belongs at the major league level still or enjoy being DFAd.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This makes me wonder what the price is.  I would have guessed somewhere around $3M, but if we had to “outbid” the Cubs for him I guess I could see up to $5M.

If the White Sox have to pay Rodon more than if they non-tendered him it would be hilarious.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This makes me wonder what the price is.  I would have guessed somewhere around $3M, but if we had to “outbid” the Cubs for him I guess I could see up to $5M.

I’m very curious, especially if some other free agent pitchers sign for $1-$2 million over $5 million, if that is what he received.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I’m very curious, especially if some other free agent pitchers sign for $1-$2 million over $5 million, if that is what he received.

I’m an idiot and he was projected for $4.5M in arbitration, so he’s likely getting less than that.  I could see up to $4M maybe.

• bmags unpinned this topic