Sox resign Rodon 1 yr /3m official, Vargas DFA

bmags

49 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I have faith in Katz, but we are acting like he is a miracle worker. 

I don’t think he needs to work miracles. If he can turn around 1 or 2 pitchers over the next two seasons, it’s a huge upgrade over Cooper whose time passed years ago. The one recent success story abandoned everything Cooper taught.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Interesting comment in Merkin’s article.  Would be fantastic if they started Crochet down in AA and worked him as a starter.

Perhaps Bob was correct. Rodon could work in the bullpen with a proper transition development plan in Spring Training.

Regardless of whether it does or not, Crochet must be developed as a starter, not as a toy for LaRussa’s tenure until the starting pitching possibility comes and goes.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Next, we will bring Ian Hamilton back.  

And glad it’s Emilio and not Jason Vargas, had to double-check.

Marshall, Foster and Cordero are pretty interchangeable...tough to expect Evan to be quite so effective again, but we shall see. At least there are plenty of options, at least for the moment.

Nothing wrong with claiming Hamilton.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I don't know why Orlando, but the Steve Stone twitter avatar cracks me up. Tempted to steal it. You are basically the official tweeter of soxtalk. Keep up the good work!

Thank you and feel free. Steve Stone is a jerk on Twitter but he spills a lot of the front office beans and occasionally, tweeters roast him back and it’s hilarious!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What I don’t understand about it is if they are operating on a tight budget and he was the best solution they had at $3 million, was it really with the risk non tendering him and losing that best solution over a million or a million and a half ?

I think it's far more likely Rodon is Plan D, rather than them always thinking he'd be back. I think they overplayed the market a bit with Q, Richards, and Wainwright. He honestly probably has the highest upside for the remaining guys in the $3M range.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What I don’t understand about it is if they are operating on a tight budget and he was the best solution they had at $3 million, was it really with the risk non tendering him and losing that best solution over a million or a million and a half ?

At the time of non-tendering, it could be they didn’t have a strong grasp of what the market would be due to COVID.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

At the time of non-tendering, it could be they didn’t have a strong grasp of what the market would be due to COVID.

They seemed to have a budget, and they were willing to pay Joc more than they paid Eaton. And they had to know what Hendriks would cost. His yearly average is pretty much right in line with all predictions.

We need depth. 3 mil is nothing. There’s some upside here. Helps allow crochet and or kopech to develop. I’m ok with this. The reality is it became clear a couple weeks ago we weren’t signing guys that would be sure thing starters 

• Like 2

Too many people who believe past performance will equal the future (on high and low salary players). You need a roster that includes some “buy low” candidates. Every year there’s guys like Rodon who turn it around. He was put into a ridiculous position late in the season, I think this is a good risk/reward signing.

• Like 3

• bmags unpinned this topic