Sox resign Rodon 1 yr /3m official, Vargas DFA

bmags

16 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Too many people who believe past performance will equal the future (on high and low salary players). You need a roster that includes some “buy low” candidates. Every year there’s guys like Rodon who turn it around. He was put into a ridiculous position late in the season, I think this is a good risk/reward signing.

I agree. 

Rodon is far from a sexy signing, but at least he is cheap and gives us pitching depth. He could be used as a backend starter or out of the bullpen. If healthy he can be effective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Interesting comment in Merkin’s article.  Would be fantastic if they started Crochet down in AA and worked him as a starter.

Rodon should just be a reliever at this point. He had great velocity in the times he did come out of the bullpen. He just couldn't throw anything for strikes. His issue has more or less been staying healthy and being a reliever will help alleviate that issue quite a bit. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Rodon should just be a reliever at this point. He had great velocity in the times he did come out of the bullpen. He just couldn't throw anything for strikes. His issue has more or less been staying healthy and being a reliever will help alleviate that issue quite a bit. 

I’ve been a huge proponent of having him just throw a fuckton of sliders and seeing if he can be a weapon in the pen.  That’s the benefit of this move is once Kopech is ready, there is still some real potential with him coming out of the pen.

This guy sucks. It's your topical white sox throw away millions of dollars move. Every offseason they have enough of them that you allocate together and you could have actually bought a difference maker :rollseyes:.

Seriously, Rodon+lopez = Garbage. 

I just hope that they have another SP signing because this only very marginally moves the SP Depth a touch. 

I'm fine with it if the team would go out there and spend, like yeah, Rodon is a nice lottery ticket, but 3 million for CWS feels so much more than what it really is in baseball terms. Feels like we just ended the offseason. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Rodon has no value as a reliever IMHO. He proved that last year when Ricky used him twice late in the season and he melted down both times. 

His only potential value is as competition for 5th starter until Kopech is ready, and semi-insurance against an injury to another starter. If he could approach anything close to his rookie season this will be an outstanding move. If he's just marginally better than Lopez, it's still a small plus. If he busts again, it's $3M lost, which won't keep the Sox from doing something else. 

It also doesn't hurt to have a second lefty starter. 

After last season and all the injuries, I would have been happy to never see Rodon in a Sox uniform again. But I'm coming around to being reluctantly positive about this move.

Just now, sin city sox fan said:

Wouldn’t it be a hoot if Rodin got his shit together this and o pitched Gio, Dallas, and Lance?   If he could win the Cy Young this year, I doubt anyone would be 0ainig abut he 3 million dollar signing!

Yeah and pigs fly and cockroaches hit home runs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sin city sox fan said:

Wouldn’t it be a hoot if Rodon got his shit together this year and out pitched Gio, Dallas, and Lance?   If he could win the Cy Young this year, I doubt anyone would be complainig about the 3 million dollar signing!

The complaint would be we didn't extend him when he would have been cheap.  RH just can't win.

1 minute ago, sin city sox fan said:

Wouldn’t it be a hoot if Rodon got his shit together this year and out pitched Gio, Dallas, and Lance?   If he could win the Cy Young this year, I doubt anyone would be complainig about the 3 million dollar signing!

Esteban Loiaza (minus the cross-border trafficking operation)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

Yeah I’m sure everyone will be excited if he won a Cy young. 

• Haha 1

If i had more confidence in Cease I would love this move. But personally I don't think anyone should view Cease with any more then the slightest of margins ahead of Lopez. I felt we're one solid rotation arm from solidifying the rotation and this move didn't fill that hole. 

Edited by mac9001
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Rodon has no value as a reliever IMHO. He proved that last year when Ricky used him twice late in the season and he melted down both times. 

Look I don’t know I have much faith, but citing his only 2 high leverage outings he’s ever had after not pitching for weeks ain’t it. 

• Like 2

All you all gonna hate on Tim Anderson’s wife’s tweets as well, or only if Tim drops below .320 or Tony runs him out of town for hitting a grand slam without permission, or some other contrived Old School Boomer transgression?

https://mobile.twitter.com/speakBRIAspeak/status/1311816426433388544

• bmags unpinned this topic