Sox resign Rodon 1 yr /3m official, Vargas DFA

bmags

3 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Who else is gonna slot in at 5? It's gotta be either him or Lopez.

Why is Kopech out of the picture? After being touted as a future ace a couple of years ago, to then having Tj surgery and then opting out last year because of COVID, has he really fallen so far now as he can't get beat out a worthless piece of dog %^&$ like Rodon for the 5th spot? 

Edited by Soxsi75

9 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Why is Kopech out of the picture? After being touted as a future ace a couple of years ago, to then having Tj surgery and then opting out last year because of COVID, has he really fallen so far now as he can't get beat out a worthless piece of dog %^&$ like Rodon for the 5th spot? 

He is out of the picture until June.. This is what everyone is saying/meaning

1 hour ago, Soxsi75 said:

Because Kopech hasn't pitched in 2 years and won't be starting the year. We also can't expect the best case scenario right away. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Most 5th pitchers in the league aren't very great if you didn't know.

Of course I "know" that. But that makes it OK to resign that waste of space? All 5th starters are poor so make sure we fill that void with as poor of one as possible? Is that your point? But I guess we can still hit. So on days that major league imposter takes the mound we can hope to win 11-9. 

Edited by Soxsi75
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 1:15 PM, NCsoxfan said:

I am extremely biased, but I think Carlos is going to have a great year. People forget how dominant this guy is when he’s healthy. I saw many many of his games at NC State and still can’t believe his career has unfolded the way it has...but it’s not over yet!

Eat it HATERS!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 1

On 2/4/2021 at 10:48 AM, Soxsi75 said:

Of course I "know" that. But that makes it OK to resign that waste of space? All 5th starters are poor so make sure we fill that void with as poor of one as possible? Is that your point? But I guess we can still hit. So on days that major league imposter takes the mound we can hope to win 11-9. 

LMAO

• Fire 1

On 1/30/2021 at 2:15 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Rodon's problem has always been desire and work ethic.  He lacked both.  Now he finally realized this is his last chance at a big payday and I was told he actually put in a lot of work this off season to get his body in great shape and is finally prepared both physically and mentally for the season.  I sure as hell wouldn't be the team to give him that payday but I think he's going to have a good season.

This post and a really good @Dick Allen post that I guess wasn’t in this thread were when I stopped bitching about this move.

I was a scorned fan with Rodon, was there for his first game out of bullpen and many truly abysmal starts by him.

But it was so frustrating because he was a lefty with a devastating slider throwing high 90s. It never made sense why it didn’t work, now it does. 

• Fire 1

On 1/30/2021 at 3:39 PM, sin city sox fan said:

Wouldn’t it be a hoot if Rodon got his shit together this year and out pitched Gio, Dallas, and Lance?   If he could win the Cy Young this year, I doubt anyone would be complainig about the 3 million dollar signing!

My post from the winter not looking so crazy now!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's say Carlos stays healthy at least through the All-Star break.

How much money and how many years would you be willing to give him...assuming he can keep that 95-99+ fastball and maintain his slider?

3 years?  $50-55ish million?

Or bigger guaranteed or upfront money, maybe he wants a signing bonus and is willing to defer the back half of the deal into some future undetermined years?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Let's say Carlos stays healthy at least through the All-Star break.

How much money and how many years would you be willing to give him...assuming he can keep that 95-99+ fastball and maintain his slider?

3 years?  $50-55ish million?

Or bigger guaranteed or upfront money, maybe he wants a signing bonus and is willing to defer the back half of the deal into some future undetermined years?

I’d go 2 years $30 million with a team option on a third year at $18 million.

• Like 1

I think they would be better off giving that money to Rodon instead of Lynn ($15-20+ million per season), but you know JR won't like either eventuality, and will refer back to Danks, haha.

That said, if I was the White Sox, I would go out there as early as feasible in July/August and announce extensions with both Lynn and Rodon.

That will take a lot of the sting out of losing Giolito, and there definitely is more risk attendant to a starter (in Lucas) with a heavy workload the last 3-4 years who had his first TJ surgery so early in his career...right out of high school/Harvard Westlake.

I just can't imagine them giving Lucas anything approaching $25 million per season, which is closer to his open market value, if not even a little low with the dearth of TOR starters on the market in coming years.

Rodon has made about $14.5 million in his career, btw, including his signing bonus.  Still represented by Scott Boras Corp.

Edited by caulfield12

Rodon has pitched awesome so far obviously, but he's pitched less than 45 innings the last 2 years COMBINED. How many will he even be able to pitch this year? He looks like a guy they'll need in the playoffs. Not sure how to pull that off without monitoring his innings big time. 

He's not going to want to pull a Matt Harvey and ramp straight up to a ridiculous amount of innings. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 2

Sox should extend Rodon, as he's entering his prime years as a pitcher. He may be represented by Boras, but Rodon will want to play for the Sox, believing they will be contenders for all of the years in any extension. 

I think they should also extend Lynn for a couple of years to negate the years imbalance of the trade of Dunning, and because the Sox can use an innings eater like Lynn. But if you keep Rodon and Lynn, and Kopech moves into the rotation, who gets squeezed?  Dylan Cease or Dallas Keuchel?  

On 1/31/2021 at 4:15 PM, Sambuca said:

Rodon is really no different than any other dumpster dive FA SP pitcher the Sox were rumored to sign (injury risk with potential with a history of some success), and 3mil is ridiculously cheap.  We just don’t like it because we actually watched his failures, and aren’t just reading them on Baseball Reference.

I am not crazy about it, but if Rodon actually conditions, displays the upper 90s fastball he flashed last season, let’s not forgot his slider can be a devastating out pitch.  He’s not a horrible option for SP depth.  He’s never actually been that bad when he’s on the mound.  Hopefully he can cover how many innings they will need out of him.

They do need to add one more pitcher of this ilk, as I don’t trust Cease at all and I want Kopech protected.  

Dece post.

6 hours ago, VAfan said:

Sox should extend Rodon, as he's entering his prime years as a pitcher. He may be represented by Boras, but Rodon will want to play for the Sox, believing they will be contenders for all of the years in any extension. 

I think they should also extend Lynn for a couple of years to negate the years imbalance of the trade of Dunning, and because the Sox can use an innings eater like Lynn. But if you keep Rodon and Lynn, and Kopech moves into the rotation, who gets squeezed?  Dylan Cease or Dallas Keuchel?  

Lynn will be easy to extend for a few years if he plays well. Rodon is going to want to cash in big time. I'm not sure we will pay his price. They may consider a big deal for two years as a prove it type of situation. 

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2021 at 1:11 PM, Rowand44 said:

In general I really wouldn’t care about this but this absolutely means they’re done adding to the pitching staff(outside of minor league deals) and I couldn’t hate that more.

Rey and Rodon combined are going to make a whole 3 mill less than Q.  Just throwing that out there.  

I know, what a steal :)